Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Octopus Go tariff and off peak options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just plugged in the above rates into my spreadsheet and worked out that Octopus Go is still the cheaper option for me. See below. Note I charged my car (from 50 to 90%, which was around 20 kWh of energy from the grid) on 2nd March during Octopus Go off peak hours. All costs include daily standing charge.

View attachment 518652

I did a very similar comparison before my Model 3 arrived and reached the same conclusion. I’d expected that EDF would work out better for me as I work at home but no, Octopus Go won the comparison. And I’ve found that for 90% of my home charging, the 4 hours off peak is fine. So on those rare occasions I need to charge during peak times, it still doesn’t change the analysis.

Thus far very happy with my move to Octopus. Well, other than my clear lack of attention and responsiveness to referral code requests as it’s virtually impossible to provide them before @Roy W. who must now have enough energy credit banked to run a small country :D Which will be useful when the corona based zombie apocalypse is upon us in a month or so o_O Respect is due.

I did a very similar comparison before my Model 3 arrived and reached the same conclusion. I’d expected that EDF would work out better for me as I work at home but no, Octopus Go won the comparison. And I’ve found that for 90% of my home charging, the 4 hours off peak is fine. So on those rare occasions I need to charge during peak times, it still doesn’t change the analysis.

Thus far very happy with my move to Octopus. Well, other than my clear lack of attention and responsiveness to referral code requests as it’s virtually impossible to provide them before @Roy W. who must now have enough energy credit banked to run a small country :D Which will be useful when the corona based zombie apocalypse is upon us in a month or so o_O Respect is due.

I could possibly save a few quid over the course of a year with EDF, if I switched all my high energy utility usage such as laundry and rush washing to after 9pm. That plus the fact I have a small set of solar panels that generates around 1000 kWh per year would mitigate the higher peak rate with EDF during brighter months.

Ok I’m not gonna think about anymore, as I might talk myself into switching to EDF.

I’ve found that I’m able to add 60% of battery charge in 4 hours. As I set my max charge to 90%, I make sure I charge my M3 before the battery charge drops below 30%.

I have the M3 scheduled to start charging at 0:30am when plugged in, and I leave it to charge to 90% and have seen that the charging completes before 4:30am

Edit: FYI I have an SR+

That's good - with our MS70D 4 hours is 40%

4 hours is about 36% on an M3 LR but the SR battery is about 50kWh
Also we should take into consideration that we will have slightly different setups in terms of home charger and electric cabling at our homes that will impact how long it takes to charge our EVs.

My SR+ charges at a rate of “34” miles added per hour via my Rolec 7.2 kWh charger. As a comparison when I charge using a Pod-Point 7 kWh public charger at my local supermarket, the charging rate is around “28” miles added per hour.

Doh! First automatically scheduled charge... :oops: Go 00:30 - 04:30

upload_2020-3-7_8-7-57.png

At least the misses got the dishwasher right!

Thankfully it was just a test and I noticed it first thing. The car passed, but user error.

I did however notice a minor UI bug in car, when setting the scheduled charge time on the car screen, the small start time notification towards bottom of screen does not update to reflect the new time until you have exited the whole charge screen. So even if you have set a new scheduled start time with spinners and exited that panel, the UI is still telling you the old start time. It won't update until you exit the whole charge screen, and go back in.

Reactions: Roy W.
Doh! First automatically scheduled charge... :oops: Go 00:30 - 04:30

View attachment 519026

At least the misses got the dishwasher right!

Thankfully it was just a test and I noticed it first thing. The car passed, but user error.

I did however notice a minor UI bug in car, when setting the scheduled charge time on the car screen, the small start time notification towards bottom of screen does not update to reflect the new time until you have exited the whole charge screen. So even if you have set a new scheduled start time with spinners and exited that panel, the UI is still telling you the old start time. It won't update until you exit the whole charge screen, and go back in.
Oh did you set the car to start charging at 4:30am instead of 0:30am?

out of curiosity what are you using to get the graph data for your electricity consumption?

Interesting, I don't see that bug on my S.

I do that sort of charge quite often, just go into the schedule option from the charge screen that is already open, change the time and exit the time change screen. The new time appears straight away, no need to exit the charge screen.

out of curiosity what are you using to get the graph data for your electricity consumption?

Thats a website called pvoutput.org that I have been sending PV generation and usage to for over 6 years now. Its logged every 5 minutes 24/7 from an Eco Eye Smart PV device Eco Eye SmartPV - Eco-eye electricity monitors via a Raspberry Pi with some home brew software on it although its out there on the internet somewhere and someone since 'forked it'. Its easier these days as some inverters have their own support, but many lack 5 minute logging and energy usage. The Pi software is due an update as I want to supplement it with Octopus 30 minute readings but that seems too coarse and stale to be particularly meaningful, but better than nothing for gas.

• Informative
Reactions: mo.dilwar
Hi VanillaAir_UK - I'm using PVOutput, with an always on old laptop at present. I'd like to use a Raspberry Pi instead. However, my coding skills are not really up to it. I'm not aware that suitable or easily modifiable code is available on the internet but can you either point me to suitable code or, maybe, let me see yours?

Last edited:
Hi VanillaAir_UK - I'm using PVOutput, with an always on old laptop at present. I'd like to use a Raspberry Pi instead. However, my coding skills are not really up to it. I'm not aware that suitable oreasily modifiable code is available on the internet but can you either point me to suitable code or, maybe, let me see yours?

I'll send you a PM - it relies on the Eco Eye unit I also linked to and the BBC weather decoder no longer works - so you don't get meaningful temperature info

Was planning on Octopus Go, but have an air source heat pump for heating the house, so wondering if having the off-peak over the weekend would make EDF the cheapest option.

Anyone else have an ASHP and an EV?

The problem with EDF is that their 'low' rate isn't all that low and their 'day' rate is too high.

You'll have to do the maths on your particular distribution of consumption during the day, but the odds are that even if EDF beats Octopus Go, they won't beat Octopus Agile unless you are a heavy user in the 4-7pm period.

Reactions: drewpost and Roy W.
This may be a stupid question but I can't find the answer any where official. Does Agile have a daily standing charge? I've seen some places saying 21p per day, others saying 20p but nothing on the Octopus website other than some formula which seems to imply it's built into the half hour rate.

Can anyone on Agile let me know? I'm just doing the calculations between it and Go that I'm currently on.

This may be a stupid question but I can't find the answer any where official. Does Agile have a daily standing charge? I've seen some places saying 21p per day, others saying 20p but nothing on the Octopus website other than some formula which seems to imply it's built into the half hour rate.

Can anyone on Agile let me know? I'm just doing the calculations between it and Go that I'm currently on.

Yep, 21p

Capture+_2020-03-08-15-34-52~2.png

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: drewpost and Roy W.