Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Octopus Switchers / Energy Crisis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Figures used: 90p/kWh / £1.86/litre diesel (what I paid this morning)
This is only going to apply to people who use public chargers, for majority of cases charging at home on a night tariff will be what most people do.

I think diesel prices are expected to come down a bit, if you have a Costco near you the price is competitive right now, some around 1.70 or less

If a diesel generator can produce up to 3kWh per litre then that's 56.9p per kWh so something is clearly wrong if that ends up being cheaper, maybe chargers being powered by diesel generators will become more popular!

Reactions: MattM76
I would agree that up to now you could easily own an EV without having a home charger. However, the price increases for public charging are only going one way for the foreseeable future and so home charging on an EV tariff is, to my mind, essential now. Clearly if you have solar and sufficient excess solar to charge your car you are laughing. A domestic storage battery and an EV tariff now make financial sense even without solar.

I believe the 2022 energy crisis is the new 1973 oil crisis. Quite a paradigm shift for EVs that will lead to some changes in the dynamic.

I don't see EV charging prices ever coming back to what they were before. We now have to accept that they will be more or less on par with ICE running costs from now on...

It's a 1 year fixed tariff so switch now if you can and lock-in the price, just in case..
Im going to enquire, only issue is I dont have the car yet and im not sure its a requirement or not. Even now looking at 5 months worst case (hopefully) for it to turn up, Ill have to plug some big drainers in over night to bluff it 😂

Yep, starting to feel like we got scammed buying into EVs.

However I will mitigate that by saying that businesses and superchargers have never been constrained by the price cap, that applies only for households, therefore the 50p we're paying now at public chargers is the market rate. Therefore the price cap hike should not have an impact on that in the near future.
The good news is that at the moment you could probably sell your EV at a profit and so it's a bit harsh to say you've been scammed! Nevertheless I understand the sentiment. At the risk of being accused of scaremongering, the £1 per kWh is on the horizon for public charging early next year.

Reactions: MB11 and MattM76
We now have to accept that they will be more or less on par with ICE running costs from now on...
Not in the least.
There are EV specific tariffs about that allow charging at a fraction of those costs. Plus, if you have solar, then you can charge for free.
Even ignoring actual fuelling, ICE running costs are hugely higher than EV running costs. Go and compare servicing costs for a start.

Im going to enquire, only issue is I dont have the car yet and im not sure its a requirement or not. Even now looking at 5 months worst case (hopefully) for it to turn up, Ill have to plug some big drainers in over night to bluff it 😂
It is a requirement, though I am not sure on how stringently they check.
Intelligent Octopus, on the other hand, actively connects to the car so it's impossible to fake it.

Reactions: MattM76
Not in the least.
There are EV specific tariffs about that allow charging at a fraction of those costs. Plus, if you have solar, then you can charge for free.
Even ignoring actual fuelling, ICE running costs are hugely higher than EV running costs. Go and compare servicing costs for a start.
I was talking of fuel costs only. Fully agree with your statement on servicing.
However re charging, you are assuming that you are only charging at home. Road trips or weekends will definitely end up being as expensive as petrol.

If anyone is concerned about missing the IO prices, you might want to jump on Go Faster now as you don't need to have the car to jump on. At least you lock in the price now for the next year without the fear of missing out.

We are lucky to still be on the Go Faster tariff, 14.5p on peak, 5p off peak until the end of January, it works great for us as we're out most of the day and try to do as much as possible in the 4 hour window from 20:30. Is the Go Faster tariff still available, will we likely get renewed onto it at new rates? Would it be worth trying to change tariff now and lock in todays prices or take the great price we have for another 5 months and then take a huge price hike in January?

Octopus have a bit on their website saying they will update prices in 10 days. Does this include octopus go? Still currently waiting for the car to switch to Go
Being a cautious chap these days I've just given up the last month on ye olde Octopus Go (5p/14p fixed until October) and signed up for the existing Go version... in case it disappears in a few days. Even though it's hugely expensive in comparison to previous Go it works out a lot cheaper than standard rate (based on last month's usage I would be £130 better off each month on new Go as against standard rate) and is fixed for a year so should protect me from the further expected rises.

Status
Not open for further replies.