Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Octopus Switchers / Energy Crisis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are lucky to still be on the Go Faster tariff, 14.5p on peak, 5p off peak until the end of January, it works great for us as we're out most of the day and try to do as much as possible in the 4 hour window from 20:30. Is the Go Faster tariff still available, will we likely get renewed onto it at new rates? Would it be worth trying to change tariff now and lock in todays prices or take the great price we have for another 5 months and then take a huge price hike in January?

That's the dilemma. The prices available in January are expected to be even worse than this new October. For me the decision was easier because I only had to give up one month because my fix was to end in October. Maybe there will be government protections brought in and you are better sticking it out ... it's a coin toss IMHO.

Reactions: phil4 and seadog
I did post this yesterday (wrong thread) If anyone would like to know the cost comparison from GoFaster (or any other) vs price caps, I created a small formula below. I can plonk your energy numbers in should you wish. Car kWh is rough, give or take with driving styles.

Everyone's usage is different of course, but to get the gist. This doesnt include shifting house load to off peak (which would make it cheaper).

I hope this helps.

Ignore reference to battery! I have another to work out ROI in battery's vs tariffs lol.

8.25p

1661422818756.png

7.5p

1661423075071.png

Reactions: _Dave_
You don’t need an EV to switch to Go (only to IO). Go price will almost certainly go up
Its in the Terms that you do.
"Our Octopus Go Tariff is designed for customers who either own or long term lease a battery electric vehicle or a plug-in hybrid vehicle that they will be charging at home. If you sign up to our Octopus Go tariff but do not meet this eligibility criteria we can place you on an alternative tariff that we consider is more appropriate for your circumstances."

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
I did post this yesterday (wrong thread) If anyone would like to know the cost comparison from GoFaster (or any other) vs price caps, I created a small formula below. I can plonk your energy numbers in should you wish. Car kWh is rough, give or take with driving styles.

are you able to share the Excel/google sheet at all? Got a friend not on here getting a Y in Sept and they are trying to work out what to do supplier wise.

I would expect government protections to apply only to SVR, so I suspect that for the near term Go and Go Faster are only going to go up…
Correct. The "cap" does not apply to fixed tariffs, hence Go/GoFaster/IO charging above the cap for peak rates.

Get in now if you can and lock in current prices. I "sacrificed" the couple of months that i had left in my Go Faster tariff (was due to expire in September) to lock in 39.25/7.5 on IO

Reactions: Ben_
We are lucky to still be on the Go Faster tariff, 14.5p on peak, 5p off peak until the end of January, it works great for us as we're out most of the day and try to do as much as possible in the 4 hour window from 20:30. Is the Go Faster tariff still available, will we likely get renewed onto it at new rates? Would it be worth trying to change tariff now and lock in todays prices or take the great price we have for another 5 months and then take a huge price hike in January?
Exactly the same situation as me. The latest forecasts for next year from Cornwall Insights have got me seriously looking at ditching it now.

Unless I’ve completely ballsed up my workings, or Octupus and/or our illustrious leaders have some rabbits to pull out of a hat, I reckon the Octopus Inteliigent prices could be in the order of 110-130p peak and 20p off peak by the time Go Faster expires in Feb.

For me, i reckon switching now could save ~£900 up to Sep ‘23 and ~ £1400 up to Feb ‘24.

All heavily based on guesstimates of course, and just ignoring the potential for any meaningful interventions that affect unit rates and would even apply to higher income households.

Thinking about Gas is there a way to fix this with Octopus as well before the price increases? Or if you are on a Fixed EV electric tariff can you not move to a fixed Gas tariff (maybe all Gas tariffs are combined with a fixed electric tariff)?

I recently switched to Octopus from BG for electricity with a view to moving onto the GO tariff. I gave them the reading from my smart meter and everything seemed to be going OK until I received a text yesterday saying that they will let me know when a smart meter can be fitted, which I didn't understand as I already had a meter that complies with SMETS1 as detailed on their website.

I gave them a call to query the text and it transpires that my meter can't provide half-hourly readings and whilst the text stated they were going to fit a new meter they said that they aren't allowed to as I already have a smart meter. Apparently my current meter can be adapted to give half-hourly readings but was told it can take up to six months for that to happen so I'm now in limbo having switched and no option to transfer my account to Octopus Go.

Pretty poor communication on their part during the initial transfer conversation about how great GO was. Not a happy bunny :mad:

Reactions: PITA and robmcm
Do you have to call them to switch? Website doesn't allow switching at the moment.

I too would like to know if it is worth the call. I have uncommissioned Smart meters, so likely need either meter replacements or a beefed-up aerial to allow the existing ones to talk to the IHD.

Thinking about Gas is there a way to fix this with Octopus as well before the price increases? Or if you are on a Fixed EV electric tariff can you not move to a fixed Gas tariff (maybe all Gas tariffs are combined with a fixed electric tariff)?

Yeah, I called yesterday, and made the switch no problem.
Gas and Electric. Could not move to Go until they receive the readings from my current provider in a couple of days, and cannot move to Intelligent Octopus until I have the car. but have moved to a variable which is:
Electric:
Variable 29.49p
Standing 41.39p /day

Gas:
Variable 7.32 kw
Standing 27.22p /day

Referral codes for me, @Darreno , @Mr Miserable and others are in our profiles! :) (£50 credit to both sides)

Reactions: Kashp
Let's not be dramatic but I can see how some people could see it as a bait & switch. Attracted to EVs for the low charging cost, petrol at nearly £2, and now... prices at pump are going down, but electricity goes through the roof at +80%.... happy times...
Who on earth would pay £50k+ to save money on fuel? Buy a leaf and use the extra money on leccy :)

Reactions: Zakalwe and HowieR
I don't know why the decoupling of KwH from the highest generation price has not been implemented.
Because all the projects currently built were built under those rules. Those who built them (and their investors) did so based on the rules. Changing the rules retrospectively will make it difficult for new projects to get investment as there is no certainty. The rules could be changes for new generation projects going forwards though

Yeah, I called yesterday, and made the switch no problem.
Gas and Electric. Could not move to Go until they receive the readings from my current provider in a couple of days, and cannot move to Intelligent Octopus until I have the car. but have moved to a variable which is:
Electric:
Variable 29.49p
Standing 41.39p /day

Gas:
Variable 7.32 kw
Standing 27.22p /day

Referral codes for me, @Darreno , @Mr Miserable and others are in our profiles! :) (£50 credit to both sides)
Called and switched. Referral for @Mr Miserable used. Didn't make sense paying 52p for charging the forthcoming EV. Hopefully will get the Go tariff and then the intelligent once the car comes.

I switched from OVO last week. All happened really quickly and without drama. I didn't have a smart meter but booked one through OVO for the next day as Octopus was saying they couldn't do it until October. So worth checking with existing supplier if you're thinking of switching.

Installation happened and I called Octopus the next day to change over. Went on to their SVR for a few days and then moved to the Intelligent tariff. So took about 1 week to get smart meter and move to Octopus Intelligent.

Checked today and I'd already saved £40 in a week compared to my OVO SVR tariff (which was actually little cheaper then Octopus).

Seems like Intelligent is only open to certain EVs but for me it's better than Go due to the 6 hour window.

So pleased to have locked in the rates for the next 12months but also that you're not locked into the tariff and can switch at anytime (if that would ever make sense).

My referal is in my profile if anyone wants to use it 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.