Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Octopus Switchers / Energy Crisis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I called octopus today and started the switch, which is due to complete on the 31st, so I’ll be on the variable until then. Once the switch completes I can then start the switch to go or io. They wouldn’t guarantee that I’ll get the 40/7.5 tariff. On the 31st I’ll be able to switch to go but it will be at whatever the rate is on that day, so I may be lucky or I may not. If they do change the price and I don’t like it i can just stick on the octopus variable or cancel the switch.

I was due to be onboarded to Octopus today (Saturday) so I stayed up late and logged and they now have access to my smart meters and I was able to submit the switch to Go. They said it can take up to 14 days, but hopefully they locked in the price when I clicked the button.

I was due to be onboarded to Octopus today (Saturday) so I stayed up late and logged and they now have access to my smart meters and I was able to submit the switch to Go. They said it can take up to 14 days, but hopefully they locked in the price when I clicked the button.
That’s a result for you, and worth staying up for. They said to me that the price you select when you click to switch to go is the price you will get when it kicks in.

Did you just submit your meter readings and were then able to switch to go?

Reactions: MattM76
With apologies to all you Octopus promoters but I have no intention of switching yet. Here are my fixed tariff rates until April 2024 (that’s right another 20 months!). Unfortunately this is no longer available, even to existing customers. Sorry about this but I’m feeling slightly smug!

View attachment 845556
I looked to move to EDF EV 35 tariff however the gas rate was high as it’s a duel tariff, completely offset the point of 4.5p. Unless that has changed now.

I submitted my meter readings as soon as my Octopus account was activated on Thursday. Tonight, I could see that they had the meter serial numbers, and after midnight, I could change smart meter preferences and the link to switch to go worked.

And then he helped me with the switching to GO part of mine as we both have the same 'go live' dates... at 12:45am, haha! Thanks again dude.

Had exactly the same with meter numbers appearing tonight ready for the go live tomorrow/today now.

• Love
Reactions: MattM76
On Octopus Go (current version) even without the 7.5p cheap rate the day rate at 40p will be less than the new capped Standard Rate starting in October.
I onboarded with Octopus to the variable tariff with an Economy 7 dumb meter. Anyone know if I can now switch to Octopus Go using manual readings? Even if they charge it all at 40p till the smart meter comes it makes sense price wise.

Government could legislate to fix this almost overnight. We have plenty of gas in the North Sea which they could put a domestic price cap on and force companies to supply our market at that price. It can be balanced to still allow a reasonable profit over the extraction and delivery process.

That way our energy pricing system would not be hostage to the vagaries of the international gas markets and things like Russian invasions etc.

Or am I missing something? 🤔

I'm stuck on a SVR with a provider... I get my car on Friday...

I'm have a gen 1 smart meter that is "dumb" and has no sign of being upgraded...

Basically I really don't know what to do...

Should I try and move to octopus SVR or a fixed rate while waiting for octopus go or intelligent... And just stick it out..

We use about 300-400 kWh a month of electric now (before the car) so about 3800 kWh a year... I only really do like 5000 miles a year..

Gas is a different story 28000kwh and that's all usually Oct - Mar just 1500kwh is for hot water... However me and my wife believe we can reduce that down to 19000 kWh but just not constantly turning on the heating, which have done a lot in the past..

So I'm in a real pickle here as to what to do... Just stick and ride it out or something else..

Also this current shower in charge should do something but have consistently showed they never will do anything so we are all on our own.. many other countries have managed to help ease this massive burden... Guess they just like killing people..

Sorry for the political rant at the end... It just boils my blood, maybe that'll help keep me warm this winter..

Anyway anybody got any suggestions on what we could possibly do... I'd really like to get on a EV tariff but just switching makes things more expensive in the short term...

I'm stuck on a SVR with a provider... I get my car on Friday...

I'm have a gen 1 smart meter that is "dumb" and has no sign of being upgraded...

Basically I really don't know what to do...

Should I try and move to octopus SVR or a fixed rate while waiting for octopus go or intelligent... And just stick it out..

We use about 300-400 kWh a month of electric now (before the car) so about 3800 kWh a year... I only really do like 5000 miles a year..

Gas is a different story 28000kwh and that's all usually Oct - Mar just 1500kwh is for hot water... However me and my wife believe we can reduce that down to 19000 kWh but just not constantly turning on the heating, which have done a lot in the past..

So I'm in a real pickle here as to what to do... Just stick and ride it out or something else..

Also this current shower in charge should do something but have consistently showed they never will do anything so we are all on our own.. many other countries have managed to help ease this massive burden... Guess they just like killing people..

Sorry for the political rant at the end... It just boils my blood, maybe that'll help keep me warm this winter..

Anyway anybody got any suggestions on what we could possibly do... I'd really like to get on a EV tariff but just switching makes things more expensive in the short term...
If you are stuck on SVR then costwise it presumably doesn’t matter which provider you’re with… but being with Octopus would make switching between other EV/“green” tariffs instant once you have a suitable smart meter fitted and sending readings.

If you are stuck on SVR then costwise it presumably doesn’t matter which provider you’re with… but being with Octopus would make switching between other EV/“green” tariffs instant once you have a suitable smart meter fitted and sending readings.
I have been thinking if I could get a decent ish fix on the electric with a cheap overnight charging rate at some point in the near future.... But be on the SVR for gas that might be best...

I guess I'd have to speak octopus on Tuesday unless they are working BH Monday..

I would start the switch and you’ll get priority for a meter upgrade. Then you are with the right provider and have an upgraded meter. This gives you the best options moving forward.

Regarding the government, my gut feeling is that if we can afford a Tesla then I wouldn’t expect any help other than at the margins of VAT on fuel.

The problem is too big to fix at any level. It’s going to be uncomfortable at best this winter. All we can do is take action now and do our best to navigate the third crisis in 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.