Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Octopus tariff not charging car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I’m using a zappy charger and have the new octopus tariff and for the last 4 times of overnight charging I wake up to find it’s only added a tiny amount of charge.

I’ve tried all three different charge settings on the zappy and always get the same results.

The tariff should be making a charging schedule so that it will charge at different intervals during the night and give me the cheaper rate when it’s charging so not just between 1230 and 430 but so far it only adds around 6-10 kw each day instead of stopping at 90% charge.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this working of what mode the zappy should be set on please?

The Zappi works very well for me on Intelligent Octopus (IO).
I plug the car in around 5pm and shortly afterwards Octopus publishes my charging schedule for the night, depending on what charge level I request in the app.

I then schedule an ECO+ charge in the Myenergi app, starting at the first IO charge time and ending at the last. The Zappi therefore allows charge from the start of the IO window, while the Tesla (controlled by Octopus) does the switching on and off. It works very well.

I then turn off smart charging from the Octopus app the next morning until I need the charge again. This stops any vampire drain from the IO app. This works for me every time.

1643012550996.png

Reactions: carvolution
The Octopus charge times vary massively. They are rarely completely inside the normal IO low peak window of 23:30 to 05:30.

The reason I do the ECO+ schedule is to prevent unwarranted charging outside of the plan, which could occur if the IO system didn’t stop the car after plugging in. This method works well for me.

The Octopus charge times vary massively. They are rarely completely inside the normal IO low peak window of 23:30 to 05:30.

The reason I do the ECO+ schedule is to prevent unwarranted charging outside of the plan, which could occur if the IO system didn’t stop the car after plugging in. This method works well for me.

Does the car sleep normally when using IO?

A lot of people are overthinking this.

Turn off all scheduling and charger-specific features on your wall charger. Let IO control it.

The car sleeps normally as long as it either remains plugged in, or you remember to toggle holiday mode on in the app. Octopus know there's a bug that keeps the car awake otherwise.

Check your charge current limit. I’ve had an overnight low charge cos the car had defaulted to 10A instead of 32. Briefly started a charge and selected 32A on charge limit and it resolved it. Have no issues leaving the Zappi on Eco+ and then selecting 12:30-4.30 for a timed boosted seven days a week.

I find you get a bit of drain and my direct experience after plugging into the Zappi set to ‘Fast’ (i.e. dumb mode) was that the IO set up did not always turn off the charging fast enough. My Eco+ method works well for me. I turn off IO when the car has finished charging to prevent drain.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
For anyone using a Zappi with Intelligent Octopus please make sure you update the Harvi & download the latest firmware to the Zappi then enter settings on the device itself -> charge settings, turn on preconditioning & set to 7.5kW (info from Tech Darren at Myenergi). The latest firmware took 45 minutes to update my Zappi.

Since I did this the Zappi has been able to turn on and off as many times as Octopus schedule on any given night, previously it only accepted the first two slots then showed as 'Charge complete' (which it wasn't).

...by the way, Darren had not been made aware about Intelligent Octopus until I called him even though Myenegi products are now included.

I find you get a bit of drain and my direct experience after plugging into the Zappi set to ‘Fast’ (i.e. dumb mode) was that the IO set up did not always turn off the charging fast enough. My Eco+ method works well for me. I turn off IO when the car has finished charging to prevent drain.
Exactly what I do except if the IO schedule offers slots outside of 23.30-05.30 then I adjust the Zappi Eco+ schedule for that night accordingly (if setting to Fast mode & not scheduling, the Zappi starts charging immediately and seems to run for a while whereas this method works every time & only within the scheduled slots).

As @browellm mentions, if unplugged then turn off IO until setting the next <5pm charging session.