Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Official Illuminated Door sills

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears there is no way to replace the battery. If the sill is aluminum and is adhered by VHB tape, then removing them for a battery change would likely bend and ruin them. Since powered with battery it's not a matter of IF the battery dies, it's a matter of WHEN. For this reason, the illuminated door sill is not a good buy. I think Tesla could have tackled this in 2 ways.

#1 - make the illuminated sills a bit deeper so that they fill that gap between the original sill and weather seal. Then they could hide a power wire in the weather seal and tap power via split connector to the puddle light.
#2 - If going the battery route, then make it out of a resin or plastic type material (something invisible to Qi charging) and embed a wireless Qi receiver in the illuminated sill. Then use VHB tape to adhere a Qi charging pad under the door (these things can be made very thin) that lines up with the charging receiver when the door is closed. That way the sill charges whenever the door is closed.

I bought it too. I have to imagine the battery will last a really long time, as it's only on when the door is open and uses LED.
Just got a notification it shipped. I’ll post a picture of it once installed with a review.
Just installed it. Extremely easy!!! I would say the most challenging part are the corners of the original plates. The middle is held down by clips which can be pried out with the red tool provided but when you get to the tips go slow and the double sided tape will peel. Each doorsill has 2 batteries. Make sure to get all the white tape left behind on the door so the new plate will sit flush. The black plastic rectangle cut outs are just a temporary stencil for the actual magnet that will stay permanent. Remove the stencil when finished and enjoy. I protected them with film from EV Wraps. The light stays on for about 10-15 seconds or until the door is closed. They look great and to me they’re worth it.

Here are the PICTURES

2A0ECB7A-9AE2-4ECB-B37B-56573CF45CA2.jpeg
0606DB07-91A5-4385-906C-C48EC3660069.jpeg
63ABA863-BC26-4BE8-B40A-CABCFF147B9A.jpeg
4DB5BBAF-44A1-43B9-96CF-D6D4A63EC5B8.jpeg

I actually like the sill illuminated, but battery operated and 250!?! Nope.

$50 and rechargeable with different colors? There are a few versions of these on AliExpress.

I'm sure the Tesla version looks more OEM though. The battery likely lasts longer also.

Last edited: