Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Official Illuminated Door sills

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$50 and rechargeable with different colors? There are a few versions of these on AliExpress.

I'm sure the Tesla version looks more OEM though. The battery likely lasts longer also.

Ya, if you want Tesla misspelled...

So, I stand as a hypocritical MFer as I type. I ordered them. I had a have a 350 credit to the shop and it is going to expire soon. Didnt need anything so I figured what the hell. Ill do a little YT on the installation of them. After thinking about it, and seeing its only on when the door is open, Im assuming the battery will last like 5 years or so. I probably wont even own the MYP that long. LOL.

What sold me is seeing the pics above. I too have blue footwell lights and thought it may look a little odd. Looks good to me!

Install coming soon! (in other words, humbly asking to sub to my YT. Link is my sig COUGH!)

I should have taken a picture of the battery cover but it said CR….(something)??? Two quarter size batteries and I’m guessing lithium
Ah, ok. Ya the CRs are usually those Li coin cell batteries... will be very curious how long it lasts. Good to know you can replace it... bad to know you have to remove it and probably will have a heck of a time getting it stuck back down.

I guess I'll be happy if I get 3+ years out of it

Just installed it. Extremely easy!!! I would say the most challenging part are the corners of the original plates. The middle is held down by clips which can be pried out with the red tool provided but when you get to the tips go slow and the double sided tape will peel. Each doorsill has 2 batteries. Make sure to get all the white tape left behind on the door so the new plate will sit flush. The black plastic rectangle cut outs are just a temporary stencil for the actual magnet that will stay permanent. Remove the stencil when finished and enjoy. I protected them with film from EV Wraps. The light stays on for about 10-15 seconds or until the door is closed. They look great and to me they’re worth it.

Here are the PICTURES

View attachment 710343View attachment 710344View attachment 710345View attachment 710346
Holy crap there was a lot of double sided tape under those sills!

Attachments

• CE7965F7-5A0E-444D-9138-34A4BC72AC85.jpeg
    CE7965F7-5A0E-444D-9138-34A4BC72AC85.jpeg
    318.7 KB · Views: 318
$50 and rechargeable with different colors? There are a few versions of these on AliExpress.

I'm sure the Tesla version looks more OEM though. The battery likely lasts longer also.

Ali Express, place your order and wait 6-8 months for it to hopefully arrive? No thanks.

Reactions: JaeTheDev
Had tons of credit from Tesla. Said the hell with it and grabbed them. FInally, got my MYP back from XPEL Stealth wrapping yesterday, so I installed them today. Some notes:

1. The factory installed sills were extremely easy to remove in my case. Not one bend and the 3M was easy to remove. Guess I lucked out!

2. I cant open the passenger door with my left hand while filming.

3. Thats all. I suck at note-taking.

• Love
Reactions: HELLAWATTS
I got these as a Christmas gift from my Dad (a Model Y owner). He purchased the silver ones for me, which I suspect are designed for the model years before 2021 when the trim was silver. I was going to exchange for black like my original sills, but in looking at the online pics I noticed they matched the performance pedals and other silver accents in the interior. I think it provides a great contrast and really makes them stand out!

Removal of the driver side sill was super easy, required almost no pressure and left very little residue, while the passenger side was a pain and took an hour to clean off afterwards. I was able to go slow and not bend the old sills at all, regardless they won’t ever be going back on. One other thing to note, on both sides removing the old sills pulled up the paint (area equivalent to a rock chip) but they are hidden by the new sills thankfully.

I only encountered one problem during my install. Pay really close attention when you install the magnets on the doors. One of the guides lines up towards the front of the door, and the other towards the rear. I screwed up the passenger side and had to yank the magnet, which required retaping. Both the driver and passenger sides worked flawlessly (once passenger was corrected) and I did not have to do any repositioning at all like others have mentioned.

Final note. You CAN change the batteries! The base of the unit where the tape is installed, snaps on the actual sill part with about a dozen small plastic tabs. I learned this when attempting to slightly reposition one side, the sill came up but not the tape part! In a panic and worried I broke it I snapped it back together before remembering to take a picture. Anyway battery replacement should be a simple procedure down the road, and will not require removing and reinstalling tape as some have suggested.

Anyway I’m really happy with the sills. They are high quality and look much better than the factory sills even without the lights on. The fact you can change the battery and you don’t have to mess with the car's wiring is a huge plus to me. They are pricey at $250, like most other Tesla accessories, but I’d consider them worth the cost, especially when they were purchased with someone else’s money! Excuse the dirty floor mats in the pictures.

IMG_3305.jpeg
IMG_3307.jpeg