Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Updates Model 3 Online Configurator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They originally indicated white would be available Fall 2017 and AWD Spring 2018. What gave you the idea that white went with AWD?

This goes back a bit but I thought I remember a tweet of Elon's or talk of one where the AWD was brought up and that it could/would have SAS, and white interior as an option. Nothing said about the Standard SR battery config. Like I said it's been a while and Tesla is still mum on what exactly each Production is going to have.

Even if they haven't figured out the pricing yet, I'd very much like to know the features and options of each production car so I have an idea which way I'll go. I've been all over the place on color, First and Third production and the Federal tax credit availability and I change my mind all the time even after seeing the car in person (but not getting to test drive it). We have AWD/SAS right now so it's a known commodity to us. Our 1st production window is coming up for a decision (by Feb) and AWD is Aug-Oct for us so by that time there will be reviews of the AWD with people having theirs. In the meantime not sure if I'll jump at 1st or defer. I know I'm not the only one waivering on this. Love to be put out of this tug a war :D. The update to the configure window is a ray of hope even if things go up and are grayed out in the meantime.

Last edited:
That could mean that SAS will be bundled with the Dual Motors configuration, rather than being offered as a standalone option. Or it could mean that SAS won't be available until later (possibly bundled into the Performance cofiguration).
Elon previously tweeted that SAS and Dual Motors will be bundled. Several months have passed so it isn't guaranteed that something hasn't changed. But we can say last time Elon mentioned it they were bundled.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Elon previously tweeted that SAS and Dual Motors will be bundled. Several months have passed so it isn't guaranteed that something hasn't changed. But we can say last time Elon mentioned it they were bundled.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Whether he meant "bundled" by "linked" in that Tweet is open to interpretation (e.g. they could only be "linked" from a production standpoint). That said, I'd put > 50% odds on them being bundled, and to your broader point, a five-month-old tweet is ancient in Tesla Time.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Arent the tires shown mounted backwards? I thought for water dispersion, the tires should be oriented the other way to channel the water away from the center of the tire as the tires are rolling forward.
No, The tread is correct. The front of the car is to the left and hopefully we are looking at it from the top. If we are looking at it from the bottom....then the treads are indeed backwards.

In that pic...water will move from the center of the tire to the outsides. That's correct from a top view.

The tread of a tire should point to the front.

Last edited:
Supposedly the Dual Motor diagram came from the new configurator. I was invited to configure but I can’t see the dual motor diagram - my button is grayed out.

Now there are reports of AWD vins being registered.

Are employees able to begin configuring dual motor variants? Is that where this leaked image came from?

I think that a black interior is nuts. Very hot in sunny weather, especially with that stupid glass roof. I don't much care for white, though. I'd choose a very light tan interior, no glass roof (though a sun/moon roof to let in air would be nice), long range, dual-motor, performance. But I don't plan on waiting. Unless I change my mind (again).

Reactions: MP3Mike
No, the back is to the right. This is a view from above and the tire tread is configured for the vehicle to move towards the left. Also, the left is obviously the front crumple zone. And another clue is you can see the cabin forward design where the passenger area is close to the left wheels(front) while there is a space just to the left of the right wheels where the rear seatbacks are located, and the cabin narrows towards the back(right) for aerodynamics. Lastly, the right wheels look fixed and the left ones look like they have room to turn.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
I think that a black interior is nuts. Very hot in sunny weather, especially with that stupid glass roof. I don't much care for white, though. I'd choose a very light tan interior, no glass roof (though a sun/moon roof to let in air would be nice), long range, dual-motor, performance. But I don't plan on waiting. Unless I change my mind (again).

My Model S with black seats and a full glass pano top hasn't ever had a problem. That said, the intensity of the sunny weather I get is Miami and Charlotte (it has gotten to upper 90s during my ownership). Those in Texas and Phoenix may feel differently than I do.

My Model S with black seats and a full glass pano top hasn't ever had a problem. That said, the intensity of the sunny weather I get is Miami and Charlotte (it has gotten to upper 90s during my ownership). Those in Texas and Phoenix may feel differently than I do.
In Texas w/ pano roof and black interior. Not a problem for me. I tinted all of the greenhouse except for the roof. If I park in sun, I have the roof sunshade. That plus preconditioning the car or leaving it in camping mode solves that particular red herring.

Reactions: Cyclone