Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New official Model S Fixed (all-)Glass roof sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may have found it on the first day offered. Living in the 110+ Arizona sun, you'd think I'd race down to get one but I haven't noticed the need for it. Of course it might reduce the heavy load on AC and help keep the car cooler when parked. To add to your questions about it, I would wonder if it takes much away from headroom if installed while driving, as added headroom is one of the major benefits of the solid glass roof.

Last edited:
Reactions: ghouston87
I have the Pano All Glass Roof and use the SunShade on it. I have to say it makes a big difference for me. Without it, I can feel the heat radiating off the glass on top of my head while driving. With it, the heat is still there, but it is in the layer between the shade and the glass.

As for headroom, not too much of a take way.

What interesting for me is, the all glass is now standard on all MS. You can't get non-glass anymore. So that would increase in the sell of these sunshade. They should give them as standard.

Reactions: jbcarioca
That's the thing I noticed. The radiant heat can be felt in the forehead. This is only on 100 degree+ days with no cloud coverage. So the glass roof actually does a decent job at keeping heat out in MOST conditions. @smilepak is yours the official tesla one? If so how does it look when installed? Does it improve the aesthetics or not? Do you have a picture by any chance?

Reactions: jbcarioca
That's the thing I noticed. The radiant heat can be felt in the forehead. This is only on 100 degree+ days with no cloud coverage. So the glass roof actually does a decent job at keeping heat out in MOST conditions. @smilepak is yours the official tesla one? If so how does it look when installed? Does it improve the aesthetics or not? Do you have a picture by any chance?

Mine the original Tesla mesh shade. It come in two pieces fit perfectly. It help cut out the lights a bit too.

I like it best as I can open the panoroof while driving or parking, it keep the bugs out.

I have the roof and rear window sunscreens from Tesla. I don't know if the new one is different. Mine have been installed since a week or so after I took delivery 2 1/2 years go. In the hot Florida sun these have been very nice.
... It help cut out the lights a bit too.

I like it best as I can open the panoroof while driving or parking, it keep the bugs out.
I often drive with the sunroof open. With the sunscreen the wind noise and draft is diminished but the breeze ands open feeling remain.
A year or so ago while driving on a very hot Southern Louisiana day I tried driving without the sunscreen for a couple hours just tom see how much difference I could perceive. The experiment actually ended within my two-hour plan as my passenger complained about the heat and glare. The glare really is pretty modest because of the tint already in place, but it still is bothersome in high-glare, very hot places. Thus, were I in Houston as is the OP there is absolute certainty that I'd get the sunscreens. I'd do aftermarket tint also.I did that also with 3M products.

I finally received my All glass sunshade on Thursday. Where do I start? It works... well. It's a hassle to put on because of the size and the little clips keep falling off so I have to reattach them. Once on it looks nice. I'm 6,2 and I have not encountered headroom issues in the driver's seat. Others who drive with their seats higher may encounter issues but I doubt it. As for the heat. It helps a bit. We haven't had super hot days but I haven't felt radiating heat from the roof. I will use it for a few more days and update on its effectiveness once the temperatures go back to triple digits again. Here are some pictures of what it looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_7367.JPG
    IMG_7367.JPG
    554.9 KB · Views: 783
  • IMG_7369.JPG
    IMG_7369.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 657
Recently ordered the Tesla fixed glass roof sunshade and installed it this evening.

I’m not entirely sure if the clips (specifically the front and the rear) are supposed to be fully wedged between the headliner trim or not..

Can anyone that has this sun shade chime in or comment about whether the shade is supposed to “sag” a bit between the glass and the level of the liner? (I can push up on the shade and there’s a good 1.5-2 inch area between)

I used to have a panoramic roof and the two sun shade version fit perfectly snug and didn’t sag, so hoping mine isn’t a dud.