Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Ontario Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't care how much they cost as long as they are reliable and fast. KSI is failing on both fronts and eventually the rest of the market for EV charging will catch up with them and they'll have to adjust. The market will determine the fair cost of charging sooner or later.

Reactions: mrElbe
But if they get cracking and build all of the SCs that they promised then most of us won't need chademo at all. By the way, what's with the hipster capitalization BS with CHAdeMO? Can't we stick with all caps or all lower?

You can blame Nissan for the capitalization. I didn't realize they were hipster.
Maybe it isn't hipster but it is ANNoyING, especially since it doesn't really stand for anything logical.

From Wikipedia:
CHAdeMO is an abbreviation of "CHArge de MOve", equivalent to "move using charge" or "move by charge". The name is also a pun drawn from O cha demo ikaga desuka in Japanese,[2] translating to English as "How about some tea?", referring to the time it would take to charge a car.[4] CHAdeMO can charge low-range (120 km / 75miles) electric cars in less than half an hour.

, I learned that for some obscure reason, Flo assigns the balance to the individual card/app and not to your general account (as, say ChargePoint does).

The latest version of the app is supposed to allow you to merge card and app balances. I can't test it since I only have a card entity appearing in my app. (Was a card holder before the app ever existed.)

Flo does have 24h support that can usually resolve activation issues if anyone has any trouble in the future.

Reactions: Grindiezar
French only Radio Canada report on the lack of infrastructure in Northern Ontario. They're a bit kind to the MTO in understating the percentage of EVCO stations not yet installed, particularly in the North. Minister Del Duca lays the blame on certain partners---well KSI was given exclusivity in the North, so I guess he's targeting them. On the other hand, it was Mr. Del Duca's ministry that didn't perform due diligence before granting unproven KSI 2/3 of the $20,000,000 project.

Véhicules électriques : encore peu de bornes dans le Nord | Ça parle au Nord

The latest version of the app is supposed to allow you to merge card and app balances. I can't test it since I only have a card entity appearing in my app. (Was a card holder before the app ever existed.)

Flo does have 24h support that can usually resolve activation issues if anyone has any trouble in the future.

It's still clunky. I talked to them at their booth at the EMC Conference in Markham and they steered me to their 800-number. After some back-and-forth they updated my account to take the app "card" off and just left the physical card showing on my account. It wasn't clear to me, but after seeking clarification they did say I can still initiate charging from my app and it will draw funds from my card.

they did say I can still initiate charging from my app and it will draw funds from my card.

Right, any cards that show up in the app can be used to activate a session in the app. It doesn't matter what it is called.

You click on the station you wish to activate and it brings up the eligible cards (or card in your case).

It works better for me than Charge Point which wants GPS confirmation that you're actually next to the unit (so no activating for a friend unless you spoof your location.) It gets really fun when Chargepoint has the wrong coordinates in their system, for example the street adress/entrance to a mall for a station that is buried in the parking lot 1.5 km away. (Unless Chargepoint has changed this feature in the last year or two.)

Reactions: Jaff
Maybe it isn't hipster but it is ANNoyING, especially since it doesn't really stand for anything logical.

From Wikipedia:
CHAdeMO is an abbreviation of "CHArge de MOve", equivalent to "move using charge" or "move by charge". The name is also a pun drawn from O cha demo ikaga desuka in Japanese,[2] translating to English as "How about some tea?", referring to the time it would take to charge a car.[4] CHAdeMO can charge low-range (120 km / 75miles) electric cars in less than half an hour.
Imagine naming your dog or cat, Chademo?
I bet some have!

It works better for me than Charge Point which wants GPS confirmation that you're actually next to the unit (so no activating for a friend unless you spoof your location.) It gets really fun when Chargepoint has the wrong coordinates in their system, for example the street adress/entrance to a mall for a station that is buried in the parking lot 1.5 km away. (Unless Chargepoint has changed this feature in the last year or two.)

Totally opposite for me. ChargePoint works completely seamlessly regardless of whether I use my card, my key-chain fob or the app. Flo just seems like a struggle.

... Flo just seems like a struggle.

I was under the impression your FLO issues were resolved. Are there ongoing problems or you just haven't used the network recently?

Another to look out for with Chargepoint is how refunds of failed sessions are handled. With FLO, generally if you have an aborted session of 0.0 kWh, any accrued fee is promptly refunded.

Not so when I activated a. Chargepoint CHAdeMO in Vermont that ended up not working due to a pistol having a broken locking mechanism. The session still appeared on my statement, so I asked for a refund. They said it would be granted, but nothing happened. When I inquired again, they said they needed my CC number to process the refund. Good grief, I had paid for the session with the balance on my Chargepoint account, so it would be natural to just return the funds there. However, it took some discussion before they agreed to do that.

I just received my 2cnd card (for my wife)...it was very easy to log into the phone app, and simply add the 2cnd card to the mix...I now have one balance for 2 cards and the phone app...I won't be able to "test" it until August this year, but it looks like it will work very well.

Reactions: RiverBrick
I was under the impression your FLO issues were resolved. Are there ongoing problems or you just haven't used the network recently?

Another to look out for with Chargepoint is how refunds of failed sessions are handled. With FLO, generally if you have an aborted session of 0.0 kWh, any accrued fee is promptly refunded.

Not so when I activated a. Chargepoint CHAdeMO in Vermont that ended up not working due to a pistol having a broken locking mechanism. The session still appeared on my statement, so I asked for a refund. They said it would be granted, but nothing happened. When I inquired again, they said they needed my CC number to process the refund. Good grief, I had paid for the session with the balance on my Chargepoint account, so it would be natural to just return the funds there. However, it took some discussion before they agreed to do that.

Have to agree to disagree, I guess.

My Flo issues were resolved, but it took several "back-and-forth's" to get it sorted out. It still doesn't seem very intuitive in my mind. Why does the balance have to be associated with a "card" (even if you can now move balances around) instead of just to my account?

I also find the ChargePoint DCFC stations much slicker and easier to use. But again, that's just me.

Hello there,

I have a MS 85 with 396 km of range. In Septembre, I'm planning a trip from Montreal to North Bay. My plan is to charge at a CHAdeMO in Kanata (one that is compatible with the Electric Circuit as I already have the card) and then take Highway 17 to reach my destination. But it's slightly tight (336 km) e.g. if it rains a lot or something.

I see on PlugShare that there is a CHAdeMO at the Tim Horton in Deep River. It would be more confortable if I could charge a few minutes over there. But there are very few details. The PlugShare entry doesn't specify how to pay, and the only comment, written 5 days ago, sais it doesn't work. This MTO page sais it's operational and that KSI is the partner. KSI website seems to indicate that we need to use their myEVroute app to start a charging session. But the Android version of the app has 12 "1 star" ratings out of 17. Never saw an app so poorly rated, I think.

So my questions are: does anyone has experience with this charger or knows its status? And do you have any experience paying with the KSI app? I guess the rate is 17$/h on a CHAdeMO?

Plan B is to ask a fellow just off the 17 in Petawawa to charge on his 80A Tesla charger. (I have a double charger.) But it's located before Deep River, so it does not work very well as a Plan B, if plan A above fails. This Petawawa charger would actually have to be my Plan A unless I have good chances to find the Deep River CHAdeMO in working order.

Thanks in advance for your comments or advices.

If they work at all, you often have to use a credit card to activate the KSI stations since the app is so buggy. Then you're stuck with a $15 flat fee as opposed to the $12/hr billed by the minute it would be with the app.

The KSI app is simply an existing app from the states rebranded. Of course, the original app also had an overwhelming number of 1* reviews, but that didn't faze KSI. They just subcontract to the lowest bidder and don't care how shoddy the result is.

Somehow Google let the original app reset its ratings following a software "upgrade," which doesn't seem fair.

As for this trip, most of it is on 90 kph roads, so 336 km shouldn't be an issue in the Summer unless heavy rain or headwinds.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: fsch and mrElbe