Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Ontario Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks RiverBrick for the info. I'll probably try the Kanata-North Bay stretch without charging then, weather permits.

In the mean time, I read the rest of the thread. Sorry for all the problems with KSI. It's really unfortunate that the MTO didn't go for proven partners like the Electric Circuit or FLO who, BTW, painfully got experienced with charging station deployment. Indeed, the first couple of years of the Electric Circuit were a bit tough, with many delays, people complaining, etc.

And indeed, ensuring card/payment compatibility through a large part of Eastern Canada would have been great. Too obvious I guess.

AFAIK, the Deep River charger that has been asked about is not working and never has worked. Info from someone who lives there.

As for FLO, I'm not impressed with its competence in one area. It's getting to 6 months since I notified it of erroneous metering on a charger, and the response, when I get one (which is rarely) is either "We'll get back to you" or a comment that shows no one has even read my question.

• Informative
Reactions: fsch
Sorry guys, don't want to pour more oil on the fire, but this comment by PlugShare user Brian about the new KSI L3 charger in Arnprior was too funny:
"Took 2-3 tries with the phone app to start the charge. But then could not STOP the charge. The phone app has no stop button. The kiosk has no stop except the emergency stop. Spent 10 minutes on hold with customer support. Still not stopped. Customer support never called back. Had to hit emergency stop"

• Funny
Reactions: RiverBrick
AFAIK, the Deep River charger that has been asked about is not working and never has worked. Info from someone who lives there.

I'm checking from time to time and yesterday, user Frank on PlugShare successfully charged at the Deep River DCFC using the app, although he's not sure if the meter is still running... :) He was in Guest mode on the app. If we created an account with KSI, do you know if we receive a transcript of the charging session or some confirmation after charging (as the Electric Circuit does by e-mail)?

The electric circuit's rollout in Eastern Ontario has been less than stellar as well. They were supposed to install 14 units in 11 months, but it has only been eight or nine in 16 months and their goal has been reduced to 12. Amprior is one of the locations removed and it leaves a gap Northwest of Ottawa. Whereas Ottawa/Gatineau are now well covered, people are also waiting for key locations between Ottawa and Montréal in Casselman and Hawkesbury.

On another forum, someome reporrs that the KSI fob that you can order for a small fee seems to work (knock on wood).

• Helpful
Reactions: Phillip L
Hi, just ordered model X 100D do I need a special adapter for these chargers mentioned or does it just plug straight up?

Your Tesla will come with the J1772 adapter and a few others. If you want to charger at a Chademo charger, you're going to need a Chademo adapter (currently sold out online - I managed to get one by walking into the Lawrence Tesla store in Toronto):

Model S/X/3 CHAdeMO Adapter

Hi, just ordered model X 100D do I need a special adapter for these chargers mentioned or does it just plug straight up?
This depends on where you plan to travel with your car. The first thing to note is that you will likely always want to use the Tesla SuperChargerswhen you can as they are faster and you get a certain amount free. For Superchargers you don't need an adapter -they plug right into your car. If you are travelling on the 400 series of highways o then you will likely be good with SuperChargers, especially if Tesla does get around to building all of the units that they announced six months ago. If you plan to drive to Atlantic Canada you will likely need an adapter as their are no SuperChargers. In NB they have just installed Chademo chargers and NS is supposed to install them in the near future.

Indeed, look at Plugshare where you think you would usually go, and if that would require connecting on CHAdeMOs, or if you could manage by plugging at destination. I bought one for 500$ and used it maybe 10 times, so 50$ each time so far, but I was really happy to be able to fast-charge on these occasions so for me it was worth it. And don't be too optimistic about superchargers, Elon's plans are usually ~2 years ahead of reality.

Indeed, look at Plugshare where you think you would usually go, and if that would require connecting on CHAdeMOs, or if you could manage by plugging at destination. I bought one for 500$ and used it maybe 10 times, so 50$ each time so far, but I was really happy to be able to fast-charge on these occasions so for me it was worth it. And don't be too optimistic about superchargers, Elon's plans are usually ~2 years ahead of reality.
I think of it this way. I have probably used mine maybe 15 times. But even at your 10 times, if each hour at the Chademo saves you two or more at a level 2 charger then it has really saved you at least 20 or 30 hours of your time, probably more. My time is more valuable to me than to have spent another 30 or 40 hours level 2 charging that I avoided because of the Chademo.

Thanks RiverBrick for the info. I'll probably try the Kanata-North Bay stretch without charging then, weather permits.

In the mean time, I read the rest of the thread. Sorry for all the problems with KSI. It's really unfortunate that the MTO didn't go for proven partners like the Electric Circuit or FLO who, BTW, painfully got experienced with charging station deployment. Indeed, the first couple of years of the Electric Circuit were a bit tough, with many delays, people complaining, etc.

And indeed, ensuring card/payment compatibility through a large part of Eastern Canada would have been great. Too obvious I guess.
I drove from Ottawa to North Bay a couple of years ago in an 85, also in the fall. It was fine without charging - arrived with 85 km of range left. Another charging option if you want a top-up along the way is the Best Western in Pembroke - 60A Sun Country Highway station (runs at 48A).

• Informative
Just to follow up on the Deep River KSI charger, I did the trip from Montreal to North Bay today. Following @Peter_M comment, I charged to 380 km at the Electric Circuit CHAdeMO in Kanata, enough to reach North Bay without stopping.

Still, I stopped a few minutes in Deep River to test the KSI charger. Here is the charging session transcript:
- - -
Session Information :

Charge Duration: 6 Minute(s)
Connected Duration: 0 Minute(s)
Energy Dispensed: 2.042 kWh
Station Name:KSI059
Station Id: KSI059
Start Time: Wed Sep 13 18:48:51 UTC 2017
End Time: Wed Sep 13 18:54:54 UTC 2017
Disconnect Time: Wed Sep 13 18:54:54 UTC 2017

Payment Information :
TransactionId: XXXXXXX
Payment Status: PAID
Amount: 6.16

Thank you,
The TDL Group Corp
- - -

Conclusions/Observations:
1) To answer one of my questions: users do receive a transcript of the charging session from KSI, at least when logged in in the app to start the session.
2) As @rypalmer indicated, there was indeed a STOP button accessible to stop charging by pushing again on the CHAdeMO button on the screen.
3) It costed me 6.16$ (tx. incl.) to charge 6 minutes. Looks like a lot of money.
4) V = 365 V, I = 56 A => P = 20.4 kW, while the charger screen indicates 50 kW. I was at 50% so not due to battery being full. Problem also reported by PlugShare user Frank.
5) 2.042 kWh for 6.16$, that's 301.7 cents/kWh. I knew the electricity was expensive in Ontario but I didn't know it was so bad :D

So KSI charges the full amount for charging at 40% of what it indicates on the charger screen. The cost does not bother me as much as the time it would have take, would I have relied on this charger for my trip.

By comparison, I got 40.335 kWh in 1h15 for 21.14$ tx. incl. in Kanata. (The power there was 45 kW at the beginning but decreased as II was near full at the end.) Therefore it costed me 52 cents/kWh tx. incl.

Frankly, I will avoid these things as much as I can until I hear that they improved.

The electric circuit's rollout in Eastern Ontario has been less than stellar as well. They were supposed to install 14 units in 11 months, but it has only been eight or nine in 16 months and their goal has been reduced to 12. Amprior is one of the locations removed and it leaves a gap Northwest of Ottawa. Whereas Ottawa/Gatineau are now well covered, people are also waiting for key locations between Ottawa and Montréal in Casselman and Hawkesbury.

On another forum, someome reporrs that the KSI fob that you can order for a small fee seems to work (knock on wood).

EC is opening stations in Quebec like crazy. I get an email almost every week of a new station opening.