Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Ontario Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welcome back, Jaff and crew! Why was that charger at 27 kW? RiverBrick reports others in QC that are low also.

Thanks Paul, good to be back!

RB's advice re the specific kw power of some of the Quebec L3's was very helpful...for example, we bypassed the (slower) Levis charger in favour of the (faster) La Pocatiere Circuit Electrique ChAdeMo charge stations.

I would suspect that Truro, Nova Scotia's ChAdeMo charge station is at 30kw (27 deliverable) due to power supply limitations at the site.

This is a bit of an unusual site...it is located at the Glooscap annex, right next to the Millbrook Cultural & Heritage Center (a Provincial Government building I think)...the charge station is free to use...it has a quirk though, which we learned when we stopped there for an extended charge during the day.

When you hook up to this site, the charge station is on a timer...a session will only last for 90 minutes, then the unit shuts off...if you need more charge (like we did to get from Truro to North Sydney), you need to unplug your car, and "reset" the station to start charging again, in order to acquire the extra range you need.

I'm glad we learned about the timer issue on the way out to Newfoundland, because on the way back from North Sydney to Truro, we were charging over night...I had to get up about 1:00 am to go back out to the car and start the next charging session that we needed to complete the full range charge for the next day's travel...otherwise, we would have been heading into New Brunswick with less than a full range charge, and would have had to spend even more time at a L2 station in N.B. :eek::(

Thanks for that! Sounds like a good time was not always had by all. 1 AM!? Never thought about timers --- a new annoyance for the L3 folks to install.

pdxrajiv: In this country only Ontario and Québec are doing this on a large scale, and Québec is doing it better, AFAIK. Not exactly close to OR. But as many have indicated, L3 chargers may not be built to work as well as Tesla's Superchargers. In addition to dialling them down, throttling them in other ways, and putting in timers, there are maintenance issues and supply questions. One or two chargers in a busy location won't be enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrElbe
The planned coverage is impressive and will surely ease EV travel in Ontario. Does anyone know of other provinces/states that are planning similar initiatives? I wish more states would emulate this.
My Premier would rather die than give any initiatives that promote EVs. He's a total thrall and shill for oil the fossil fuel industries.

Thanks for that! Sounds like a good time was not always had by all. 1 AM!? Never thought about timers --- a new annoyance for the L3 folks to install.

pdxrajiv: In this country only Ontario and Québec are doing this on a large scale, and Québec is doing it better, AFAIK. Not exactly close to OR. But as many have indicated, L3 chargers may not be built to work as well as Tesla's Superchargers. In addition to dialling them down, throttling them in other ways, and putting in timers, there are maintenance issues and supply questions. One or two chargers in a busy location won't be enough.
No doubt that things could be better. But this is better than what other provinces are doing.
I wonder how EV charging infrastructure development compares to prevalence of gas stations

Apparently, not all of the individual Tim Hortons' franchisees on the list of sites have formally accepted to host the stations at the current time.

One of the application requirements was that you demonstrate a firm commitment from the proposed hosts. It looks like the KSI bid did not meet this criteria, so there is sure to be teeth grinding from locations where everybody was on board, but the application for funds was rejected.

http://m.insidebelleville.com/news-...ting-stories-on-location-of-charging-stations

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
KSI is a very small outfit based on the limited research I did on this a few weeks ago right after the announcement.
I am surprised the Ontario Government handed so much of the locations to this little enterprise.
My understanding is that KSI is a GE dealer/partner. GE wants to establish some Canadian business, so may be assisting in marketing and financing.

My understanding is that KSI is a GE dealer/partner. GE wants to establish some Canadian business, so may be assisting in marketing and financing.

Interesting. The L3 chargers are unlikely to made by GE based on the articles I've seen. Plug the GE public L2 chargers I've seen are 30A 208V, not the minimum 40A specified by the Ontario Government program.

Interesting. The L3 chargers are unlikely to made by GE based on the articles I've seen. Plug the GE public L2 chargers I've seen are 30A 208V, not the minimum 40A specified by the Ontario Government program.

Yes - interesting. I went to their website, and they list GE as their partner, but also have a picture of an ABB L3 in their banner.. As my company supplies some of the "back office" electrical supplies, I had my rep contact them. They claimed to be partnering with GE, and that GE would also be supplying the switches, gear, and transformers on all of their sites.

It could be that none of the L2 and L3 stations are GE, or they may try to put in some 30 amp L2....... To my knowledge GE isn't going to make a 40 amp or a DC rapid charge system

I think by minimum 40A they mean the breaker, so the actual station would only be 30A or 32A.

The day the EVCO bid winners were announced, GE Canada (which has a large presence in Ontario) had press release and social media posts about how their (L2) units would be installed in Ontario parks and a provincial politician and Mississauga's Mayor held a press conference at KSI headquarters. If they had selected a firm from California to install stations made in Australia, the publicity would not have been as good.

Three months later and according to the Ontario web site these are all still in the "planned" phase. So none are yet completed? And they are all supposed to be done by March 2017? So all of the construction will be in the dead of winter???

afaik, two out of the 214 planned CHAdeMO/CCS have been installed, but the web site has never been updated.

Yes, the supposed deadline means Winter construction. Perhaps that's why costs are so high (one partner is receiving $92,000 just to install four level two stations). More likely is that they'll quietly extend the deadline.

KSI, responsible for the lion's share of the installations, has finally been spotted performing construction---on their web site. Koben Systems – Canada’s leader in Electric Vehicle Products

Noticed on PlugShare that a new ChaDeMo charger is located at the Community Centre in Clifford, which was one of the sites listed on the MTO map of upcoming sites. It says it is waiting final inspection so it is not up and going just yet. It is listed as a part of the ChargePoint Network. So to use it does one have to sign up with that network, even if it was government funded? And if so, are all all the new government funded ones going to be ChargePoint?

This will make our run to London from Owen Sound much more convenient, in the winter often had to make a detour to the Woodstock SC to get back home.

Noticed on PlugShare that a new ChaDeMo charger is located at the Community Centre in Clifford, which was one of the sites listed on the MTO map of upcoming sites. It says it is waiting final inspection so it is not up and going just yet. It is listed as a part of the ChargePoint Network. So to use it does one have to sign up with that network, even if it was government funded? And if so, are all all the new government funded ones going to be ChargePoint?

This will make our run to London from Owen Sound much more convenient, in the winter often had to make a detour to the Woodstock SC to get back home.
I think charge point you can tap a credit card or a charge point card.

• Love
Reactions: RiverBrick
The hosts select their network and price. We know many of the sites will be on Chargepoint or FLO. (Or the Electric Circuit which is interoperable with FLO.) KSI may go with a GE network.
I have used the electric circuit system in Quebec, works really well. Good to know FLO will be interoperable with them. Would hate to need ten different cards for different systems all over the province.