Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Ontario Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that prefer Highway 7, the two DCFC awarded to Peterborough Utilities are supposed to open before Xmas. Lansdowne Place Mall, Peterborough and Norwood Town Hall, Norwood.

Though not open yet, there are photos on plugshare. It looks like it will be on the FLO network.
Lansdowne Place (Coming Soon) | Peterborough, ON | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

Also, a non EVCO DCFC opened in Ajax. Manufactured by Efacec and on the Greenlots network.
Veridian Connections | Ajax, ON | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

It appears Greenlots only works with their app. Entering the unit's code, 43116, in the app brings up an activate button.

All these chargers with different access cards or Apps. What a nightmare! Can't some authority at least mandate a standard access mechanism.
Agreed. Complicating things with 3+ networks isn't going to help the adoption of EVs. I love the Sun Country network for this reason - just pull up and charge.
At least Flo and ChargePoint allow you to charge by tapping a credit card as well, although I believe you pay a non-member service fee.

Reactions: Jaff
I have a glass half full view of the Ontario DC charging plan and rollout.

Each site will have run high voltage AC lines out to a pad which contains a charging station.

That charging station will invariably be offline or challenging to use from a usability perspective. but the delivery of the DC 'juice' when it does work will be a game changer for how electric cars will be marketed.

Non Tesla EV owners will be (added they havr been) frustrated with these systems and realize that Tesla got it right all along. Then their Tesla owning neighbour will be driving a Model 3 and taking about it.

The other car makers will catch on and improve these DC charging locations as well as aiding the rollout of better stations. Remember , these are just electronic systems , they will get replaced every few years...

That's my hopeful expectation.

• Love
Reactions: Aussie Bob
Agreed. Complicating things with 3+ networks isn't going to help the adoption of EVs. I love the Sun Country network for this reason - just pull up and charge.
At least Flo and ChargePoint allow you to charge by tapping a credit card as well, although I believe you pay a non-member service fee.
I just signed onto the ChargePoint Network and I already have an Electric Circuit account, which I believe will allow access to Flo, so I guess now I am ready. When I signed up to ChargePoint they asked for a credit card or PayPal account to sign up, but will not be charged until you use a payment required ev charger.

Agreed. Complicating things with 3+ networks isn't going to help the adoption of EVs.

I agree. The limited number of DCFC stations installed under the EVCO program so far are on two networks. Hopefully it will not be 3 networks or more by the time all the sites are running.

The Veridian station in Ajax is on a different network, but it was built without EVCO funding. Though an app is required, there is no user fee, so you can't really criticize the host.

I agree that many of the stations awarded to the Pearson airport authority (or whatever its exact name is) are unnecessary or overkill. (For example, L2 in long-term parking instead of simple 5-20 receptacles) but some of the choices seem OK. For example, having CHAdeMO in the cell-waiting lot could be convenient if you're waiting for someone's flight to arrive. Also, if taxis can easily access the airport stations there's potential CO2 reduction there.

Two CHAdeMO are set to go online at the authority's offices in Vaughan (so not at the airport). This location is not mentioned in the EVCO award. Toronto Region Conservation Authority - Head Office (Coming Soon) | Vaughan, ON | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

In other news, no sign of life yet from KSI. Competitors are probably hoping at this point that they massively fail in order to take over the contracts.

Whoever keeps adding these new chargers on Plugshare, please stop.

Supposedly, the only way a location gets added with the "coming soon" wrench is if the network or host makes a request and plugshare approves it.

If a 3rd party adds a site which isn't open yet, it will not display the wrench. You can then contact plugshare and they will delete the entry.

I ran into this with PlugShare with a Tesla site which was operational but they would not let it be added until approved by the mother ship. They appear to be a crowdsourced resource but they are not really that.

I think AddEnergie bid to install at these 25 Canadian Tire sites under the EVCO program, but the bid wasn't accepted due to Ontario awarding 144 of the 211 DCFC grants to KSI.
So, they then had a bid already ready for the Federal grant. This shows you how generous the EVCO grants are, since AddEnergie is ready to proceed with 50% financing from Ottawa and the obligation to use a portion of the revenue to repay the grant, whereas EVCO would have paid 100% of the expenses with absolutely no strings attached.

According to the QC association of EVs, AVEQ, Canadian Tire's contribution is only offering the rights to install on their property. All the out of pocket expenses are being paid by FLO/AddEnergie and Ottawa.

For my own selfish reasons, I would have preferred the Federal dollars to go provinces and locations that will not have much CHAdeMO or Superchargers in the near future like in the Maritimes.

Reactions: mrElbe and rypalmer
I think AddEnergie bid to install at these 25 Canadian Tire sites... All the out of pocket expenses are being paid by FLO/AddEnergie and Ottawa.
About FLO vs. Electric Circuit vs. AddEnergie - I've always found this confusing so I did some digging and here's what I found:
Corrections welcome if any of that is wrong.

Last edited:
About FLO vs. Electric Circuit vs. AddEnergie - I've always found this confusing so I did some digging and here's what I found:
Corrections welcome if any of that is wrong.
On L3 how do the charges work for each? And are they interoperable/chargable?