Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Ontario Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that Tesla is a business and I have no issue with them charging that amount, but just because I paid $140k for a car doesn't mean that I should go and spend $450 on an accessory that I might only ever use once or twice. It is thanks to Tesla's SCs that I won't need a CHAdeMO adapter.

That's why we have options and choices. I, for one, would never spend the amount Tesla wants for the "Performance" version of the car, let alone Ludicrous mode. That seems just, well... ludicrous to me. I do value charging options and being able to travel relatively worry-free, so the cost of the CHAdeMO adapter was well worth it to me.

That's why we have options and choices. I, for one, would never spend the amount Tesla wants for the "Performance" version of the car, let alone Ludicrous mode. That seems just, well... ludicrous to me. I do value charging options and being able to travel relatively worry-free, so the cost of the CHAdeMO adapter was well worth it to me.
Exactly. I have used my ChaDeMo about 10 times in the last 2 years and if it has saved me at least 10 to 15 hours of charging time I consider it well worth its cost. Not to mention the peace of mind for someone like me who even bought a J772 extension cord in case I would be "iced" but have never used it, and just about every UMC adapter that was available. But then again, I have taken our Model S to that Supercharger wasteland, the Maritimes, about six times already. For other drivers, may not be a reasonable choice, based on where they travel.

Qiuck update on a couple of the pending west end Level 3 stations since I was driving by today on my way back from Waterloo:

The EVCO ChargePoint Level 2 and 3 stations in Campbellville are still not energized. The main disconnect switches are both in the "Off" position and no signage or parking spot markings are yet in place. I have no idea what is taking so long here as everything has appeared ready for some time now.

The Canadan Tire Level 3 site at the Gas+ station in Milton (Hwy 401 at Hwy 25 exit) is installed, but the parking spots in front of it are still coned off.

Neither of these sites are yet on PlugShare.

Apparently, Milton is one of 25 sites to be installed with a loan/grant from Natural Resources Canada, outside of the EVCO program.

The Electric Circuit finally has two DCFC running in Eastern Ontario (out of 14 in their contract.). Ottawa and Kemptville. $17/hr for CHAdeMO and $2/hr for Level 2 (30A). The address in Ottawa, 141 Clarence St, points to an underground garage, so there may be parking fees.

The CHAdemO unit near the Superchargers in Woodstock has been sitting on its platform since November. The Electrician says they have been waiting for the utility. Is there some work that they will not perform until Winter is over.

The Canadan Tire Level 3 site at the Gas+ station in Milton (Hwy 401 at Hwy 25 exit) is installed, but the parking spots in front of it are still coned off.

Heard back from the electrical contractor for this site.Apparently it is completed, and has passed all electrical inspections. It is just now up to Canadian Tire and AddEnergie to decide when to flip the switch and turn it on.

Heard back from the electrical contractor for this site.Apparently it is completed, and has passed all electrical inspections. It is just now up to Canadian Tire and AddEnergie to decide when to flip the switch and turn it on.

Since this will be the first site opened under a particular Natural Resources Canada Alternative Fuel program grant/loan they may be waiting to coordinate a ribbon cutting ceremony complete with Media and Ministers.

Note, since this is not an EVCO site, the providers have invested their own funds in the project. The fees for charging will likely be higher than at EVCO locations.

Just to close the loop on this, it is now up and running. I used it last week. The cost is $20/hr and the Flo network that it operates on is a giant pain in the ass to use.

the Flo network that it operates on is a giant pain in the ass to use.

Most pay networks are hard to use compared to Tesla, but I don't find FLO difficult to use at all. Perhaps that is because I have their card since 2013 and their app since 2014.

I've seen a lot worse. Networks that only work by app (with all the single point of failure problems that brings) and ones they don't accept Canadians (EVgo) or force you to restart every 30 minutes (EVgo too).

Reactions: Imafrog
I've seen a lot worse. Networks that only work by app (with all the single point of failure problems that brings) and ones they don't accept Canadians (EVgo) or force you to restart every 30 minutes (EVgo too).

Strange. I've had nothing but success with Flo/Circuit Electrique. I'd much rather that than whatever KSI and IKEA are using.

I guess I should elaborate:

First of all, that abomination at IKEA (at least the Queensway location) is indeed weird. I spend about 15 minutes at the machine tapping all of my cards before giving up and plugging into the L2. As I walked towards the entrance, THEN I saw the other pedestal with the credit card reader! So I went back and tried some more. But I still couldn't get it to work! It took my card, I selected the unit, but the display on the unit was just stuck at "Authorizing" or some such message. It probably would have been more productive to just use the 1/2 hour I wasted at the L2 (I get 48 amps at it).

What I meant with my reference to Flo has to do with their account setup and payments processing. Some time ago, I downloaded the app and put some funds on account. I used the app once or twice and it worked fine. But I was told that the possibility of a communications outage could make the app unusable and that I should order an RFID car. So I did. I paid $15 for the card and (unlike ChargePoint) they don't apply the funds as a credit on your account. They just keep the money for the card. Fast forward a few months and I go to use the Flo station at the Gas+ in Milton. I tapped my card, but it said there were no funds available. How could that be? I knew I had at least $15 or $20 on account. After much fumbling around, I learned that for some obscure reason, Flo assigns the balance to the individual card/app and not to your general account (as, say ChargePoint does). Okay, having figured that out, I use the app to start the charge and all goes well... until I unplug and it tells me I have a negative balance (not much... around $1). I assumed that the charge would stop when the balance reached zero and alert me. Figuring going forward I'd want to keep my balance on the card as opposed to the app, I log in to pay off my $1 debt. Nope. They will only accept payments starting at $10. So I have no way to pay off that balance if I want to move forward with the card. The whole Flo experience is nowhere near as slick and seamless as ChargePoint IMHO.

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe
I paid $15 for the card and (unlike ChargePoint) they don't apply the funds as a credit on your account. They just keep the money for the card.

Just an FYI for others, if you already have the Electric Circuit card there is no need to order the FLO one (or vice-versa). However, if you have neither it's cheaper to order the EC one, since it's $10 instead of $15. It used to be free and I posted here before the change advising people to enroll before the fee went into force.

There is an unconfirmed report that some FLO hosts sell $10 pre-paid cards. If this turns out to be true (and they allow reloads) it will be a way to bypass the card fee.

I learned that for some obscure reason, Flo assigns the balance to the individual card/app and not to your general account (as, say ChargePoint does). Okay, having figured that out, I use the app to start the charge and all goes well... until I unplug and it tells me I have a negative balance (not much... around $1). I assumed that the charge would stop when the balance reached zero and alert me. Figuring going forward I'd want to keep my balance on the card as opposed to the app, I log in to pay off my $1 debt.

That is definitely an annoying feature. I don't experience it because if you get a card first everything goes under it, mobile or not.

In any case, I hope they fix it for the people it does impact. You can call customer service and have funds transferred from the card to the app or vice-versa.