Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Ontario Provincial rebate program for home charging installations...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. So I have ordered a Model S with twin chargers but was going to hold off on the HPWC for a while to see if I needed it.

If I get it now, can I apply the $1000 towards the HPWC and the necessary home wiring? If so, maybe I should just order it now.

As an aside, is charging nightly with the HPWC any worse for the battery than regular charging?

Hi. So I have ordered a Model S with twin chargers but was going to hold off on the HPWC for a while to see if I needed it.

If I get it now, can I apply the $1000 towards the HPWC and the necessary home wiring? If so, maybe I should just order it now.
Yes, you will get $1,000 off. But I wonder how much more will the wiring & breaker be for HPWC.

Last edited:
Only the HPWC is qualified under this program. See here:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/electric/ev-charging.shtml

Anyone has an idea how much does it cost to wire a HPWC in the garage on average?

I met with the Ministries of Transportation and Energy last Fall when this was being worked out. I specifically mentioned that the Tesla Model S doesn't necessarily need EVSE, only a 30 or 50 amp outlet. They were supposed to include wiring costs into the program. The revised Ontario Electrical Safety Code specifically references EV outlets (new language), so this shouldn't be difficult to recognize. They were supposed to make EVSE and wiring costs (up to the cap) eligible. I'm off to San Diego next week on business, but when I get back, I'm gonna make some inquiries.

Have they actually posted an application form? Either the web site is poorly organized and I can't find it, or...?

The form is on the website but I had to right click the link and do a "save as" to save the pdf on my local HD. I was able to see it then...for some reason it didnt open from the browser.

"http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetFileAttach/023-0177E~1/$File/0177E.pdf"

The form is on the website but I had to right click the link and do a "save as" to save the pdf on my local HD. I was able to see it then...for some reason it didnt open from the browser.

"http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetFileAttach/023-0177E~1/$File/0177E.pdf"

Okay, so looking at the application is does seem that the wiring costs (alone) are eligible.

(Purchase Price of Charging Station * 50%) + (Cost of Installation * 50%) + (Inspection Fee * 50%) OR $1,000 whichever is less.

I believe a NEMA 14-30, NEMA 14-50 and even a NEMA 5-20 installed as an EV Charging Outlet as defined by the OESC would be allowed. That was the intent when I discussed it last fall.

I met with the Ministries of Transportation and Energy last Fall when this was being worked out. I specifically mentioned that the Tesla Model S doesn't necessarily need EVSE, only a 30 or 50 amp outlet. They were supposed to include wiring costs into the program. The revised Ontario Electrical Safety Code specifically references EV outlets (new language), so this shouldn't be difficult to recognize. They were supposed to make EVSE and wiring costs (up to the cap) eligible. I'm off to San Diego next week on business, but when I get back, I'm gonna make some inquiries.
@mknox

Yes, please kindly assist to clarify the requirements for this rebate. It will be a great news if wiring a 14-50 is eligible for this rebate.

Eligibility for Incentives under the Electric Vehicle Charging Incentive Program

The application guide states the following which makes it confusion:

Applicants can apply for incentives for the purchase of electric vehicle charging stations that:
  • Are on Ministry of Transportation’s list of eligible charging stations.

Section C – Electric Vehicle Charging Station Information

• Charging station incentive applications must be received within six (6) months of the purchase date of the electric vehicle chargingstation.
  • Only Level 2 (208V or 240V AC) charging stations are eligible for an incentive. Please consult the list of eligible charging stations.

Section D – Installation Information

• Electrical work in connection with the installation of an electric vehicle charging station must be in compliance with legal requirementsincluding any licensing and Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) inspection requirements.

Here are some links to the program:

Program Details:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/electric/

Program Guide:
http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/...tFileAttach/023-0177E~2/$File/0177E_guide.pdf

Application Form:
http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetFileAttach/023-0177E~1/$File/0177E.pdf

Eligible Electric Vehicle Charging Stations:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/electric/ev-charging.shtml

@mknox Yes, please kindly assist to clarify the requirements for this rebate. It will be a great news if wiring a 14-50 is eligible for this rebate.

Bad news. While my contact at the Ministry of Energy was of the belief wiring costs alone would be eligible, I just heard back in writing from the Ministry of Finance (who I guess are administering the program) and they tell me the Rebate is only available to individuals that purchase and install a new eligible electric vehicle charging station at their place of residence.

Bad news. While my contact at the Ministry of Energy was of the belief wiring costs alone would be eligible, I just heard back in writing from the Ministry of Finance (who I guess are administering the program) and they tell me the Rebate is only available to individuals that purchase and install a new eligible electric vehicle charging station at their place of residence.
This is a bad news indeed!

I wonder which charging station is the cheapest on their approved list. Any idea?

I wonder which charging station is the cheapest on their approved list. Any idea?

I really don't have any idea on pricing of these charging stations. I would point out that all (except the Tesla HPWC) are likely to be J1772-style which can be used with the Tesla adapter, but would not be the most convenient. The HPWC would be the way to go if you have a Model S.

I really don't have any idea on pricing of these charging stations. I would point out that all (except the Tesla HPWC) are likely to be J1772-style which can be used with the Tesla adapter, but would not be the most convenient. The HPWC would be the way to go if you have a Model S.

Yes, I have the same thought too .. So, I guess I can think of getting a HPWC at a discount for around $470 ($1,300 + HST - $1,000).

Is an extra UMC around the same price ($500)?

Yes, I have the same thought too .. So, I guess I can think of getting a HPWC at a discount for around $470 ($1,300 + HST - $1,000).

Is an extra UMC around the same price ($500)?

It's actually 50% of the EVSE + 50% of the wiring costs + 50% of the Electrical Inspection Fee or $1,000, whichever is less. Basically, you'd get $1,000 off the total installed cost of the HPWC, which still isn't bad.

A second UMC should be less expensive. $500 sounds about right, but am not sure.

Mike, for the benefit of Roadster owners who installed HPWCs prior to the announcement of this rebate initiative, do you know if these installations are retro eligible?

Mike, for the benefit of Roadster owners who installed HPWCs prior to the announcement of this rebate initiative, do you know if these installations are retro eligible?

Jaff, Here is a clip from the application form:

ScreenShot001.jpg

Problem is, the only eligible Tesla charger I see on the list is the Model S HPWC. I'm not familiar with the Roadster charger. Is it Tesla-branded, or by someone else? Here is a list of the eligible chargers.

Roadster charger is called an "HPC".

I'm right on the knife edge of the window - my car was registered on July 2, 2010 so it would get the rebate.

- - - Updated - - -

For sure. It is 20X easier to plug in the standard Tesla cable. You pop the port from the button, and it slides in, and you're done.

Otherwise you need to go to the touchscreen to open it, find the adapter, plug it in, drag the much heavier J1772 cable over, and plug in.

Faster to unplug, too.