Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New open-source and free desktop app available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've used VisibleTesla for the last three years, although since earlier this year it's had issues with not being able to capture streaming data plus it's not compatible with the latest MacOS updates, so I've been looking for something like this that is totally local, doesn't store credentials anywhere, keeps my data local, etc. I just quick downloaded the MacOS version, has been successful in loading it, seeing it connect to my car.

Is there some form of a datalogging capability yet? I could not find any what to trigger a logger function which is my primary desire given I my primary use for VisibleTesla has been to capture charging information and my energy use history over long trips.

Thanks.

Reactions: f205v
Thanks for putting this together!
This is epic! I've long thought having no desktop app was a bit of a hole for Tesla to leave, and I'm glad an enterprising dev has just gone and made an app. :cool:

haha, thanks!

This look nice but I am not familiar with GitHub and cannot get your application to run on my Windows10 PC

Can you try downloading the Windows installation file here?

I’m a Mac user and I apologize that I’m missing something but I can’t install it on my Mac. What am I missing?

Can you try downloading the Mac installation file here?

good app!
Just a quick suggestion: make it possible to log in with a token instead of user+pass.
I know that user+pass are not stored anywhere and just kept locale to ping Tesla website for a token, but I would fell more comfortable if I could just simply provide a token (I can generate them by myself, no prob!)
Thought about that, yes, it may give more comfort to some people. Will include in my list! Thanks

I've used VisibleTesla for the last three years, although since earlier this year it's had issues with not being able to capture streaming data plus it's not compatible with the latest MacOS updates, so I've been looking for something like this that is totally local, doesn't store credentials anywhere, keeps my data local, etc. I just quick downloaded the MacOS version, has been successful in loading it, seeing it connect to my car.

Is there some form of a data logging capability yet? I could not find any what to trigger a logger function which is my primary desire given I my primary use for VisibleTesla has been to capture charging information and my energy use history over long trips.

Thanks.

I think for effective data logging, it is necessary to run it in a server that can perform data gathering on a predictable frequency. It will need an additional server-side service available for all users as opposed to just the desktop app. This will disrupt the goal of making it a local app that does not provide your token to any third party services. With that said, it may be a different project to work with that can perhaps connect with the Desktop app but is not required. I've been thinking about a logger and a scheduler (to schedule tasks in the car) that can work together with the Desktop app but is not built-in. I will see if I will have the time to pull it off. Thanks for your feedback,

Same here. I'm running a recent Mint and need more detailed installation instruction.
Sorry, I only tested it on Ubuntu. Can you try downloading the file Nikola_0.2.6_amd64.deb from here and then go to the terminal:
# cd Downloads (or the folder where you downloaded this file)
# sudo dpkg -i Nikola_0.2.6_amd64.deb

This should install it and make it available as an application.

Just to be clear, when you enter your credentials it is hashed & used to retrieve an API token that's assigned to your browser for a set period of time, right? In other words, you don't actually store any login/password credentials, correct? I don't see a lot of discussion about security/confidentiality so I would like to know from the dev directly how this is handled.

Ditto on security inquiry! That’s the only reason I haven’t used any apps for my car besides the native Tesla app. That’s a lot of data to risk.

Thanks for making this app—I’ve been hoping for more information and functionality on my 3. Feels much more comfortable knowing it comes from a fellow owner.

Just to be clear, when you enter your credentials it is hashed & used to retrieve an API token that's assigned to your browser for a set period of time, right? In other words, you don't actually store any login/password credentials, correct? I don't see a lot of discussion about security/confidentiality so I would like to know from the dev directly how this is handled.

Correct, the login and password is used for a single call to Tesla servers to acquire a Token. Then, if login is successful, this token is stored locally and next time it will not require login credentials again as all the calls are made using the key. If user logs out, it is removed from local storage and then will start the process over (request login/pass again). Docs for Tesla API here:
Authentication

Ditto on security inquiry! That’s the only reason I haven’t used any apps for my car besides the native Tesla app. That’s a lot of data to risk.

Thanks for making this app—I’ve been hoping for more information and functionality on my 3. Feels much more comfortable knowing it comes from a fellow owner.

Thanks, I think the above response will answers the details about security.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ostrichsak and Togg
Same here. I'm running a recent Mint and need more detailed installation instruction.

For Linux (at least for Debian) I've now added a workaround here. It appears there is an upstream bug.

The workaround for now is to append the `--no-sandbox` parameter to the command launcher, i.e. in your menu use command: "/opt/Nikola/nikola/" --no-sandbox %U (at least in Cinnamon).

haha, thanks!
I think for effective data logging, it is necessary to run it in a server that can perform data gathering on a predictable frequency. It will need an additional server-side service available for all users as opposed to just the desktop app. This will disrupt the goal of making it a local app that does not provide your token to any third party services. With that said, it may be a different project to work with that can perhaps connect with the Desktop app but is not required. I've been thinking about a logger and a scheduler (to schedule tasks in the car) that can work together with the Desktop app but is not built-in. I will see if I will have the time to pull it off. Thanks for your feedback,
I'm interested in data-logging as well. Would it be possible to use a client local database instead of a server-side one? There is a ton of free databases out there.