TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New open-source and free desktop app available

Discussion in 'Model S' started by geraldoramos, Jun 8, 2019.

1. APD1080

APD1080 Member

This look nice but I am not familiar with GitHub and cannot get your application to run on my Windows10 PC

2. Togg

Togg Member

Anyone else running this on GNU/Linux? If so, care to help me here get it going? I can't seem to get it to run. Thanks.

3. Whoster69

Whoster69 Member

Is the executable for Windows?

4. Treeddds

Treeddds New Member

I’m a Mac user and I apologize that I’m missing something but I can’t install it on my Mac. What am I missing?

5. mpeddicord

mpeddicord New Member

This is really great! I love it. Thanks for making this.

6. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

Yep, that's no understatement :)

Thanks for taking the time, I'm sure it took longer than planned, had tricky bits that were frustrating and that you wondered why you were even bothering at all but you pushed through! **

** I may be projecting a bit there.

• Like x 1
  7. f205v

f205v Member

good app!
    Just a quick suggestion: make it possible to log in with a token instead of user+pass.
    I know that user+pass are not stored anywhere and just kept locale to ping Tesla website for a token, but I would fell more comfortable if I could just simply provide a token (I can generate them by myself, no prob!)

• Like x 2
  8. PCMc

PCMc Member

I've used VisibleTesla for the last three years, although since earlier this year it's had issues with not being able to capture streaming data plus it's not compatible with the latest MacOS updates, so I've been looking for something like this that is totally local, doesn't store credentials anywhere, keeps my data local, etc. I just quick downloaded the MacOS version, has been successful in loading it, seeing it connect to my car.

Is there some form of a datalogging capability yet? I could not find any what to trigger a logger function which is my primary desire given I my primary use for VisibleTesla has been to capture charging information and my energy use history over long trips.

Thanks.

• Like x 1
  9. mckemie

mckemie Member

Same here. I'm running a recent Mint and need more detailed installation instruction.

• Like x 1
  10. StarLog

StarLog Supporting Member

Loaded on my Windows 10 laptop, asked for my login, and then nothing. the app shows app in the taskbar but no active window.

11. drrjv

drrjv Member

Cool App.

FYI: Works fine in OS 10.15 Catalina Beta 1 :)

• Like x 2
  12. geraldoramos

geraldoramos Member

haha, thanks!

Can you try downloading the Windows installation file here?

Can you try downloading the Mac installation file here?

Thought about that, yes, it may give more comfort to some people. Will include in my list! Thanks

I think for effective data logging, it is necessary to run it in a server that can perform data gathering on a predictable frequency. It will need an additional server-side service available for all users as opposed to just the desktop app. This will disrupt the goal of making it a local app that does not provide your token to any third party services. With that said, it may be a different project to work with that can perhaps connect with the Desktop app but is not required. I've been thinking about a logger and a scheduler (to schedule tasks in the car) that can work together with the Desktop app but is not built-in. I will see if I will have the time to pull it off. Thanks for your feedback,

Sorry, I only tested it on Ubuntu. Can you try downloading the file Nikola_0.2.6_amd64.deb from here and then go to the terminal:
    # cd Downloads (or the folder where you downloaded this file)
    # sudo dpkg -i Nikola_0.2.6_amd64.deb

This should install it and make it available as an application.

13. geraldoramos

geraldoramos Member

What happens when you click on the tesla little icon in the taskbar? Did you try to restart the App and problem still persists? I've tested on a few instances of Windows 10, but will further investigate this and try to reproduce.

14. Scott7

Scott7 Member

Excellent UI design. Nice work!

• Like x 2
  15. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Member

Just to be clear, when you enter your credentials it is hashed & used to retrieve an API token that's assigned to your browser for a set period of time, right? In other words, you don't actually store any login/password credentials, correct? I don't see a lot of discussion about security/confidentiality so I would like to know from the dev directly how this is handled.

16. dsnjr

dsnjr Member

Ditto on security inquiry! That’s the only reason I haven’t used any apps for my car besides the native Tesla app. That’s a lot of data to risk.

Thanks for making this app—I’ve been hoping for more information and functionality on my 3. Feels much more comfortable knowing it comes from a fellow owner.

17. geraldoramos

geraldoramos Member

#37 geraldoramos, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Correct, the login and password is used for a single call to Tesla servers to acquire a Token. Then, if login is successful, this token is stored locally and next time it will not require login credentials again as all the calls are made using the key. If user logs out, it is removed from local storage and then will start the process over (request login/pass again). Docs for Tesla API here:
    Authentication

Thanks, I think the above response will answers the details about security.

• Like x 2
  18. Togg

Togg Member

For Linux (at least for Debian) I've now added a workaround here. It appears there is an upstream bug.

The workaround for now is to append the `--no-sandbox` parameter to the command launcher, i.e. in your menu use command: "/opt/Nikola/nikola/" --no-sandbox %U (at least in Cinnamon).

19. f205v

f205v Member

I'm interested in data-logging as well. Would it be possible to use a client local database instead of a server-side one? There is a ton of free databases out there.

20. StarLog

StarLog Supporting Member

I had to delete and uninstall it, the run as ADMIN to get it to work.

Thanks looks nice