Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to ask the group for a bit of help. I have my deposit in on a Model 3 and was hoping my current vehicle would last another year till I get my M3. Alas that is not going to be the case, so I'm in the market for a car. I've been toying around with the idea of getting a Model S to bridge the gap for a few months and have been looking on and off for a CPO or an Inventory car. Since my current car has decided to be difficult I'm now in a bit of a crunch.

So some info from me
  • I have a daily 30 miles round trip commute
  • My car isn't the "family" car, we take my wife's for longer trips, the longest trip we would take in a Tesla would be 200miles round trip.
  • I live in the Midwest, but have a AWD vehicle if needed for snow and such.
  • I'm only looking at Black as a color choice, I'd only consider other colors if it was a really good deal
I've been working with Sales Advisor in both the CPO and New areas. The CPO advisor has found a few that meet my requirements. Both are 2013s. One has 48K miles, is an S85 for $54,500 the other has 30k Miles, is a P85 and is $64,000. They are both comparably loaded, the P85 does have the Subzero package. The both have the 21" wheels, which I like, but have read they don't wear as well as the 19". So I have a concern there.

They do have a new S75 at the service center here, its a base model with no options, but does have V1 autopilot. It's $74,500 before the $7500 tax credit. So $67,000 in the end.

Now it seems like the new one would be the better choice, but If I'm going to trade it in for the Model 3 am I going to loose a ton on depreciation? The sensible part of me seems to lean toward the CPO.

I'm going to finance the purchase, but have quite a bit saved for a down payment. As far as financing does it make sense to put as much down as I can?

So what am I missing that I should be thinking about?

Thanks

Reactions: jbcarioca
I would go with the CPO if I'm only going to keep the car a year or two.

As far as which one of the two, I too was in a similar position a few weeks ago.

P85+ vs S85

Went with the s85, saved the 10k... I do regret it sometimes... but then I look at my bank balance and I'm cool with my decision.

Good luck with your decision, you really can't make the wrong choice when it comes to teslas, they are all fantastic vehicles.

I was in a similar situation and started the "CPO 85 vs New 75D" thread. If you're just bridging to the 3 I'd go CPO. The depreciation on a new car will make you cry. Also, I'd stay away from a performance car. It might be a letdown to go from a P85 to a 3, right?

I chose CPO. The depreciation curves on new EVs are eye watering if you are only keeping the car for a couple of years. I would stay away from the 21s unless you are cool with expensive tires that don't last very long. They also have a rougher ride, I am told.

I ended up with a 2013 P85 with 19"'s for $58k. A deal I felt was superb, and I have zero regrets about not buying new or getting AP or anything.

- I would go CPO for the depreciation hit everyone mentioned on Inv/new cars. Also, you'll get nicer options and trust me, you'll get used to these...
- I would go S85 and save $10k-$13k...that would cover more than a couple of tires if you're worried about the 21" and the S85 won't eat tires as fast as the S85, all else being equal.
- Wrt financing: purely from a financial perspective, money is still cheap (2% range) and you'd be better off financing as much as you can assuming you can park your money somewhere else and make more. Having said that, it depends what can of monthly payment makes you "comfortable". One thing to consider too is whether you want to stretch your terms even if you're not planning on keeping the car for a long time. Yes, you'll pay more in interest, but this will also give you additional flexibility since your monthly payments will be lower. It all comes down to how much you value that flexibility.

Thanks, for the information everyone, I asked the CPO sales guy and he had to go out of area to get a CPO 85 without 21". So I'd have to pay the $2000 in shipping. The 2 he found are a P85 2013 with 31,000 miles and a S85 21014 34,000 miles. Both are pretty loaded for $61,500 and $64,500 respectfully.

The depreciation is a concern definitely. I sworn I would never buy new again, because of it. But damn these cars are amazing.

New car sales just called my back and really wants me to get stop in and look at the 75, I verified its not a D.

@carter_seattle I read through your thread as well, lots off good comments there thanks.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Thanks, for the information everyone, I asked the CPO sales guy and he had to go out of area to get a CPO 85 without 21". So I'd have to pay the $2000 in shipping. The 2 he found are a P85 2013 with 31,000 miles and a S85 21014 34,000 miles. Both are pretty loaded for $61,500 and $64,500 respectfully.

The depreciation is a concern definitely. I sworn I would never buy new again, because of it. But damn these cars are amazing.

New car sales just called my back and really wants me to get stop in and look at the 75, I verified its not a D.

@carter_seattle I read through your thread as well, lots off good comments there thanks.
Before you decide you might want to take a look at the new inventory again. There seem to be a fair number of good deals there again. After all it is quarter end and year end.

After discussing it with my wife, I think a CPO is our best option. I've narrowed my choices down to the 2 cars that are in my region. I'm still a bit apprehensive about the 21" tires, which both of them have, but I think they look much better on the black cars.

There's a 10K difference in price between the 2 and the only thing differnt between them is miles, one has 48k, the other 31k. Would the miles worry anyone else? Maybe I'm stuck thinking like a tradition ICE car and the wear and tear they go through.

After discussing it with my wife, I think a CPO is our best option. I've narrowed my choices down to the 2 cars that are in my region. I'm still a bit apprehensive about the 21" tires, which both of them have, but I think they look much better on the black cars.

There's a 10K difference in price between the 2 and the only thing differnt between them is miles, one has 48k, the other 31k. Would the miles worry anyone else? Maybe I'm stuck thinking like a tradition ICE car and the wear and tear they go through.
I would not give the extra miles a second thought!
You're getting a 4/50 warranty on either one so save the money and don't worry about the miles.

i wouldn't worry about miles that much either.

All else being equal, the higher VIN, the better as you tend to get a better build quality-wise. Assuming the more expensive car is newer, that would be something to consider, but then again that better build quality may not be worth $10k...

Well I went to place my order, I was going to go with the S85 that was 10K less. And wouldn't you know it, it was no longer available.

But the sales guy did say they were getting a base 2014 S85 soon that has autopilot. It would be around $64,000 and and low miles.

So now I'm back to deciding, a 2013 P85+ loaded or a 2014 S85 base with autopilot. Keeping in mind I plan to trade this on a M3 when they come out. I'm thinking the autopilot would have better resale value.

I'm leaning toward the autopilot car

Last edited:
I had a loaner with the 21" wheels. The ride was much harsher. And the tires will probably wear quicker.

I'm not over concerned about the ride, I had a Camaro on 21" and It wasn't too bad. I've driven my friends P85 on 21" quite a few times and I don't notice much. But I'm not in the car for more than 10 minutes, It may wear on me after a while.

Also for reference I currently drive a truck, so I'm used to a rougher ride.

Last edited: