Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If ride is not an issue, I would go for the P85+. I like the performance of the P model and was not all that interested in AP. But the 2014 may also have other features, like parking sensors and folding mirrors. Does the MS85 have anything other than AP?

If ride is not an issue, I would go for the P85+. I like the performance of the P model and was not all that interested in AP. But the 2014 may also have other features, like parking sensors and folding mirrors. Does the MS85 have anything other than AP?

No not much else, upgraded seats, folding mirrors, pano roof, base wheels. Its definitely a "base" model S85.

Are you 100% sure that you're going to swap out the S for a 3?

In my opinion: if you're worried about depreciation then it seems to me the sensible thing to do would be to just get an S and keep the S, as opposed to buying an S, selling the S in a few years, then buying a new 3.

It's interesting how the different threads look.
On Carter's thread, most people recommended buying new
On this one: most are recommending buying used.

I don't think it makes sense to buy a used car if the price is anywhere near the new car, unless the old car has EVERYTHING you want, and the new car lacks something.

If you're deciding between $54k used car with everything and a $67k bare bones new car... the $13k is compelling

but deciding between a $63k used car and a $67k new car?
not so much.
especially if the used car has things you don't want (21in tires) or lacks things you might want.

It is true that New Cars depreciate faster than used cars
HOWEVER: the new car has things that the old car won't. (Autopilot, new fascia).

my guess is that the old fascia cars without autopilot are going to start to depreciate like crazy.

think about it this way... what's worth more in Jan 2019:
-a 2 year old 2016 car with Autopilot and current fasica?
-a 5 year old 2013 car without autopilot, and old fascia?

in the end, you should go with your gut.
trying to make a "wise" financial decision when buying a luxury product is a mind numbing exercise in futility!

The wise financial decision would be to baby your current car, or to buy a Volt or the new Prius Prime!
(I think the Volt is AWESOME).

If you are stuck on AP, then the decision is simple. If not, some of the benefits of the CPO would be that items may have already been fixed under warranty and you get another 4 years/50K miles of additional warranty. Not to mention the hit you will take to value on a new car in the first few years.

I had the option of snatching up an Inventory 60 Refresh - 2016 with 50 miles, AP1, and Premium Interior Package for 69,900 (It had a discount). That isn't including the additional 1,000 referral off, and the 7,500 tax incentive.

After trolling the sites for a while - I didn't find a 2014 S85 under 40k miles - below 53k. I regret not moving on the New Refresh inventory above. ;(

I'm not over concerned about the ride, I had a Camaro on 21" and It wasn't too bad. I've driven my friends P85 on 21" quite a few times and I don't notice much. But I'm not in the car for more than 10 minutes, It may wear on me after a while.

Also for reference I currently drive a truck, so I'm used to a rougher ride.
You lose 10% range with the 21" wheels

I just ordered a CPO, but ran a Carfax report and it came back clean. Did Tesla disclose this to you?
The first car I bought was on their website, so I had no idea it was a service vehicle. The 2nd one I found from my CPO advisor, as it was not listed on their website. So I knew the 2nd one was a service vehicle. Both had clean histories (well, until the point they were both in accidents...).

I just ordered a CPO, but ran a Carfax report and it came back clean. Did Tesla disclose this to you?

All the cars on the public CPO site should have clean CarFax reports (the unlisted ones are a different story). However, they are also in the service loaner fleet, and can be damaged which won't be discovered until the car is retrieved. My first CPO was found with quarter panel damage after being retrieved from the loaner fleet. Its carfax was clean, but Tesla disclosed the damage to me and allowed me a choice of a different vehicle or getting my deposit returned.

The first car I bought was on their website, so I had no idea it was a service vehicle. The 2nd one I found from my CPO advisor, as it was not listed on their website. So I knew the 2nd one was a service vehicle. Both had clean histories (well, until the point they were both in accidents...).
Did you have to ask him directly? Or did he disclose it up front. The CPO reserved (and am still waiting for) had a clean car fax.