Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New or used s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered an x for my wife and I and now my brother thinking getting a s. He was looking at 2013 85rwd
In the mid to upper 40s, but I told him to get 75 rwd for 69g-7.5g-1g
My logic is new cars have all advanced
hardware installed, just not active.
Just wondering what the tesla community thinks. Save the 15g?

Just depends on what natters most, if you want the latest tech then yes absolutely buy new, if you want just a solid fun car that still has great tech and save a large chunk of change then buy used since its likely all the issues have been fixed by service already or covered under warranty still.

So I think there are 4 options to consider ....

1. Pre Auto pilot used
2. Auto Pilot v1 used
3. Auto Pilot v1 inventory car (new)
4. Latest Auto Pilot v2 (new)

Based on the prices I have seen .. I would recommend either option 1 or option 4 .. So if your friend has seen autopilot and that is an important feature for him .. go for option 4 (tax credit helps on price)... if he just wants a cool car .. option 1 is ok .. but make sure it has the 4g upgrade so the sound system and GPS are more usable. The problem with option 2,3 is you are paying pretty close to new for older technology that Tesla is not investing in anymore.

I would buy an inventory car since there is not many combination of options out there. Tesla offers discount off inventory car, and many of them are brand new under 50 miles. my advice is buy an inventory car and make sure you ask if Tesla Engineering is using it for crash test.

He was looking at 2013 85rwd
If I have the choice, I rather get a 2017 with a brand new battery than a 2013 with a 4 years old battery.

New Vehicle Limited Warranty:
"Tesla vehicles are protected by a 4 year or 50,000 miles New Vehicle Limited Warranty
and 8 year or unlimited miles Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty."

About the $15 k difference, it depend how long you plan keep the car.
If at least 5 years, the first year depreciation would be less noticeable.

I found that the new inventory cars aren't really all that discounted. About 6 weeks ago I found if you get an AP2 car with 50 miles, it's considered brand new and it is priced at full retail. You can add or subtract the AP2 software configuration on any car you choose (EAP, FSD) and it will change the price by the same amount that a new one changes with or without the same option.

The 2016 AP1 cars are truly discounted. Since I wanted AP2, I looked at those.

With more miles, the price comes down a bit.

I thought the new inventory cars were priced to sell and I just assumed they were more deeply discounted. What I found was that I'd be giving up the ability to pick the equipment and color but not saving anything at all. It actually took one of the Tesla advisors pointing it out to me since I hadn't compared the inventory car with the exact same new one on the Tesla configuration page. I was just comparing prices and equipment on the various inventory cars.

What you can save is the shipping fee, if you find one you like and you pick it up from its current location.

After spending some time with the inventory system, I ordered a new one.

Reactions: OilSucks
I found that the new inventory cars aren't really all that discounted. About 6 weeks ago I found if you get an AP2 car with 50 miles, it's considered brand new and it is priced at full retail. You can add or subtract the AP2 software configuration on any car you choose (EAP, FSD) and it will change the price by the same amount that a new one changes with or without the same option.

The 2016 AP1 cars are truly discounted. Since I wanted AP2, I looked at those.

With more miles, the price comes down a bit.

I thought the new inventory cars were priced to sell and I just assumed they were more deeply discounted. What I found was that I'd be giving up the ability to pick the equipment and color but not saving anything at all. It actually took one of the Tesla advisors pointing it out to me since I hadn't compared the inventory car with the exact same new one on the Tesla configuration page. I was just comparing prices and equipment on the various inventory cars.

What you can save is the shipping fee, if you find one you like and you pick it up from its current location.

After spending some time with the inventory system, I ordered a new one.

This was my conclusion as well, and I spent MONTHS finding something from their inventory that I was willing to settle with. Unfortunately everything in their inventory involved giving up either the FSDC, the premium interior upgrades, or sacrificing on the color/roof I wanted.

I went to the store to look at a CPO 2015 about 6 months ago (December 2016). I ended up getting an inventory S60 with AP1. It was a showroom model with 18 miles on the odometer. People sat in it, but it was never test driven.

MSRP $77k, -$8,100 discount, -$1k referral, $7,500 fed tax incentive (no state incentive where we live). About $61k + tax. Upgradable to S75 for $2k.

The latest s75 have similar range and performance to the 2012-2015 s85, while starting at a lower price than the s85 did.

New if you can afford it for sure. New = better is the general rule of thumb. Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest a lot of manufacturing issues have been solved with time. Nevermind having a new battery is always nice.

That being said if you're selling your car within 5 years, then used. The car only makes sense new if you plan to own it 7+ years.

Tesla lists any cars with less than 50 miles as having 50 miles. Therefore any inventory vehicles you look at with 50 miles are brand new cars. AP1 cars began receiving heavy discounts as of September 2016 (since they were being cleared out with AP2 right around the corner). The advantage to buying an inventory car is (usually) quicker delivery more than cheaper price from custom order. Inventory cars that were used as showroom or test drive vehicles will receive more discounts due to mileage and time (from people sitting in them).

+1... most of inventory cars are brand new. I found one with exact options (classic black leather seats) with 3-4k discount except Tesla Engineering took it for test crash... my bad luck.

You need to go to the showroom or call your sales guy to check the inventory. They have access to different inventory than what you see on the Tesal web site.

Obviously it depends on the individual. I bought a used Model S, early 2012 version, last year with 48k miles and I have absolutely loved it. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. Even though it's five year old, it's still way ahead of most other cars out there, IMO.