Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New or Used?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love your feedback on my next purchase. I don't own a MS or Tesla as of now. I'm debating on which route to take. I understand the new car loss, but used lacks the Fed/State credit. Is there a formula or calculation to ensure that a used MS is a reasonable price? I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I'm having trouble trying to find the answer. Thanks for your input

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. Initially, I started thinking that I would certainly buy a CPO, but after looking at a number of cars and trying to find the balance between price, on the one hand, and features, age and mileage, etc., on the other hand, I slowly migrated towards new. What got me was that each CPO that had the options or colors, or whatever, that I liked, ended up being one of the higher priced cars and when the tax credits were factored in on the new cars, for not a whole lot more money in the grand scheme of things, I could get a brand new 90D as opposed to a CPO P85+ that I had been considering. I figured why not take advantage of the credits while they are around to essentially increase my buying power. Of course, the argument that it was only an incremental amount more went completely out the window when I changed my configuration to a P90D on the last day before the order was confirmed, but I could not be more happy with my choice now that I am locked and loaded.

Wow!! "Go big or go home!" I've been looking around and can't seem to get a handle on how the used prices are calculated. Looking at CPO steers me towards new. I'm looking a bit in the modest range myself. 70D or used P85. Congratulations on your purchase.

Wow!! "Go big or go home!" I've been looking around and can't seem to get a handle on how the used prices are calculated. Looking at CPO steers me towards new. I'm looking a bit in the modest range myself. 70D or used P85. Congratulations on your purchase.

Thanks. It was classic mission creep - start with CPO, move to inventory cars, back to CPO and then finally to new. For what it is worth, the used car manager (might not have the title correct) but that is the gist of it, at the Tesla Buena park location (where they have CPO's that you can inspect and test drive) sets the prices, at least at that location, from what I was told. I do know that there is a high correlation between a higher VIN and a higher price, more so than higher miles adversely impacting price. I suspect that is because of the continual improvements being made to the cars (another factor for me in buying new).

You may want to investigate inventory cars. There can be some good values there and you still get the benefit of the tax credits, although the good ones seem to go fast.

I would go used - i have two P85's and one I paid 117K for new and the other I paid $75K for. Both are loaded to the gills. I actually paid less for the P85+. Also once the X hits the market the used model S market will get flooded for a short time and you will have your pick of the litter at a price point you will like.. (I bought my P85+ right when the P85D with nanny controls was released)..

I would go used, private party. Most, NOT all CPO cars are so overpriced. And every time Tesla makes an announcement or makes a change the price of your new car will go down and it will be harder to off load....unless it has the new and greatest thing.

One of the reasons I went new with my car because there were no CPO autopilot cars.

This was the same logic process I went through. Was initially looking at a local P85 for sale privately. Was fairly priced but it was pre-autopilot. I figured if I'm going to pay that much for a car - one more akin to a computer - then why not get it with all the things I know I will appreciate and use? Settled on a new 85D (went into production today!). Yes it costs a lot more than the used P85 but it has newer/better features, longer range and comparable performance. With my trade in and tax credit the net cost was easily justified.

I was between a CPO loaded and a new 70D, with carefully choosing my options. The CPO won, because I like to have almost every option in every car I buy (as evidenced in my signature below), and the options on Tesla are pretty pricey. I also liked the larger frunk of the RWD model as well as the extra range and acceleration. If I were to do new, it would have to be 85D or 90D, knowing what I know now.

If you're in love with Signature Red like I am, used is the only way to go. They don't come up very often on CPO, but I was lucky to grab one in Canada a couple months ago. My thought process was the same as Drucifer's above - I wanted all the features, but they add up quick. It's also nice to have someone else already take the depreciation hit for once - in my case it was ~$40k for 2.5 years. ;)