Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Order Model 3 with HW3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, previous X & S owner here looking to place an order in the next 2 weeks for a P3D. I see that a few folks with Model X's have found that the HW3 hardware being in their delivered units, but do we know if there is any evidence of Model 3's having the new hardware rolling off the assembly line? Should I wait a little longer?

Why? They can replace it if needed. That is assuming your are buying FSD. Better component will make its way into the car so you will be waiting forever. Don’t let these stupid hw3 hype get into your head.

Well, I suppose the point of my thread would be to see if I missed any evidence that the new HW3 computer is being shipped in new M3 builds. I know that on the 19th/22nd there is a FSD demonstration, and there may be the chance that the announcement of the new hardware details, etc. As I understand the software isnt there yet to take advantage of it, but I would like to have the hardware ready for when it is, as I am sure the rollout of the HW3 comupter as an upgrade will most probably be a logistical mess to existing customers.

Reactions: Mayhem
Well, I suppose the point of my thread would be to see if I missed any evidence that the new HW3 computer is being shipped in new M3 builds.

You won't see any evidence of HW3 in Model 3 because they are making cars for international orders and they will be delivered in June. Tesla will resume US production around 15 May. Therefore the earliest confirmation that Model 3 production has switched to HW3 will be at the Autopilot event on 22 April.

I think it makes sense to wait for HW3 in the following situations:
  • If you are planning to buy FSD but you are worried that the retrofit might be delayed too much. I estimate that around 120,000 Teslas with FSD will need the retrofit. Assuming a mobile service can replace 10 units per day, that would be 12,000 work days. Assuming they will have 100 mobile units working on this, it would take 120 days.
  • If you are not planning to buy FSD but you still want the faster computer because you think it will make AP work better or it might support additional features similar to how AP2.5 supports sentry mode and dashcam but AP2.0 doesn't. As for computing capacity, Elon said AP2.5 computer works at 80% processing capacity while AP3.0 is at 5% without FSD redundancy. In terms of features they can add, AP2.5 is already close to the limit.
  • If you think new cars might have some other hardware differences. This is now less likely but if you are skeptical then it could be a reason to wait.
If you want native-HW3 for whatever reason, I recommend waiting for the event on 22 April before ordering because they had around 7,000 to 10,000 Model 3s left in stock at the end of Q1. Those will be mostly gone by that time. Also, I would expect Elon to announce that all production has switched to HW3 at the end of March. Therefore if they try to deliver an HW2.5 car, it would be easier to insist on a new built after Elon makes that announcement.

I have a friend getting ready to order an SR+ but I’m suggesting he hold off until he can get one confirmed with HW3. He is not planning on buying FSD but I believe it’s very possible that non FSD features will benefit from the upgrade so it seems worth waiting since it appears we are very close to the cutover.