Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Order: Uploading Proof of Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered on 7/3 and my account page is showing "Upload Proof of Insurance". I do not have an assigned VIN yet, so I've been waiting to do that, but I've read here and they're actually asking for your CURRENT insurance? Is this true? If so, why?

My SA is on vacation so I figured I'd ask here just in case I'm inadvertently holding up my order for some reason...

I ordered on 7/3 and my account page is showing "Upload Proof of Insurance". I do not have an assigned VIN yet, so I've been waiting to do that, but I've read here and they're actually asking for your CURRENT insurance? Is this true? If so, why?

My SA is on vacation so I figured I'd ask here just in case I'm inadvertently holding up my order for some reason...

I think what is actually required might depend on where you are, as in, what insurance laws are in effect where you are. In California, where I am, we can upload CURRENT insurance, because you have 10 days to report a new car purchase to your current insurance. This means that, when you buy a new car, the vin does not have to be listed on your insurance to actually be covered when you drive off in the car.

I do not believe its the same in every state in the US, as I believe I have read here that some people have had to get their vin assigned and put it on their insurance prior to picking it up.

In any case, this should not hold up your order, as you dont have your VIN yet, and your insurance company will want that to add the car to your insurance. I dont think it holds up your order at all, but might hold up your actual pickup of the car, so make sure you know the process for adding a car to your insurance from your insurance company (and more importantly getting proof from them its covered). Is it contact your agent, and they email you proof, is it fill out something on some website and they send you proof (etc)?

Just be ready to add it on the morning of your pickup appointment and get proof that its added and you should be fine.

• Informative
Reactions: dmurphy and Bhewks
I think what is actually required might depend on where you are, as in, what insurance laws are in effect where you are. In California, where I am, we can upload CURRENT insurance, because you have 10 days to report a new car purchase to your current insurance. This means that, when you buy a new car, the vin does not have to be listed on your insurance to actually be covered when you drive off in the car.

I do not believe its the same in every state in the US, as I believe I have read here that some people have had to get their vin assigned and put it on their insurance prior to picking it up.

In any case, this should not hold up your order, as you dont have your VIN yet, and your insurance company will want that to add the car to your insurance. I dont think it holds up your order at all, but might hold up your actual pickup of the car, so make sure you know the process for adding a car to your insurance from your insurance company (and more importantly getting proof from them its covered). Is it contact your agent, and they email you proof, is it fill out something on some website and they send you proof (etc)?

Just be ready to add it on the morning of your pickup appointment and get proof that its added and you should be fine.

I live in Texas, so before I can pick up my Tesla when it's ready, I have to wait until I get my Tesla VIN so I can get onto my insurance policy first. I can't use my current car insurance.

I've bought cars in Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, and California; every dealer needed to see evidence of insurance on my current vehicle, whether I was trading it or keeping it. If I didn't have a vehicle, they wanted to see proof of a policy that would take effect upon purchase of the vehicle.

I have the same step pending on our MY order. The language says that they want the VIN on the document, so I believe they mean the insurance binder created just before you pick up the car.

"Your Tesla VIN must be listed on your policy in all but [AZ, CA, HI, IL, IN, MD, MN, OH, TN, VA, WA]"

So, since some states are different, especially since CA is listed, they have the upload link well before you get a VIN.

If you are not from one of those states you need to wait for a VIN before uploading.

I have the same step pending on our MY order. The language says that they want the VIN on the document, so I believe they mean the insurance binder created just before you pick up the car.

Below the request is a statement saying:

"Next Steps. We are drafting up your contract and will contact you when you can make your final payment."
I'm in one of the states where having the VIN of the new car is not required, so I uploaded my insurance card. Now that I've done that, I still have that Next Steps statement.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Snow Drift
I live in Texas, so before I can pick up my Tesla when it's ready, I have to wait until I get my Tesla VIN so I can get onto my insurance policy first. I can't use my current car insurance.

I've uploaded a couple pics from the Tesla website, once you get to the insurance section in the ordering process. It shows that if you live in the following states, you can upload your insurance from an existing car, otherwise you have to wait until you get your Tesla VIN: Arizona, Cali, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, Virginia, & Washington.

Attachments

• IMG_2479.PNG
    IMG_2479.PNG
    180.3 KB · Views: 1,768
  • IMG_2480.PNG
    IMG_2480.PNG
    129.8 KB · Views: 1,230

Spot on.

Here in NJ, Tesla requires proof that the Tesla is on your policy, but that takes just a quick call to my agent and they can produce a binder document on the spot.

I don't know if it differs between companies, but with State Farm, I have at least two weeks to add the vehicle to my policy - I'm 100% covered driving it off the lot even if I haven't contacted them first.

Excellent service all around, but no sense coloring outside Tesla's lines; if they want a VIN on the policy, a VIN it shall be.

I've uploaded a couple pics from the Tesla website, once you get to the insurance section in the ordering process. It shows that if you live in the following states, you can upload your insurance from an existing car, otherwise you have to wait until you get your Tesla VIN: Arizona, Cali, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, Virginia, & Washington.

Texas specifically and Tesla is "special" lol. One of the other differences you will find from Texas and what you will tend to read on these boards is, in Texas (and a few other places) you will have to pay in full before you get your car. Not "As" you get your car, like many of us do (especially in CA).

So, you will read people say things like " I took my payment and went over the car with a fine tooth comb before I gave them a dime!!" but that doesnt apply to you in Texas. You will have to pay first, unfortunately, due to your states laws regarding car sales direct by the manufacturer.

Reactions: swb2734
Texas specifically and Tesla is "special" lol. One of the other differences you will find from Texas and what you will tend to read on these boards is, in Texas (and a few other places) you will have to pay in full before you get your car. Not "As" you get your car, like many of us do (especially in CA).

So, you will read people say things like " I took my payment and went over the car with a fine tooth comb before I gave them a dime!!" but that doesnt apply to you in Texas. You will have to pay first, unfortunately, due to your states laws regarding car sales direct by the manufacturer.

Yes. I've noticed that. I had already been under the assumption (perhaps the first time I spoke with my advisor) that my car had to be paid in full before I could take it off the lot. And of course as previously mentioned, I have wait until I get the VIN from Tesla, before I can put my Tesla on the insurance.. before I can even complete the ordering process. And to top it off, our sales tax isn't included in the final Tesla quote for my bank financing - here in Texas, the sales tax is paid separately, after the fact! At least, I suppose, I can pay for that on my credit card (around $3000) and get the points and pay it off quickly and not incur interest!

Yes. I've noticed that. I had already been under the assumption (perhaps the first time I spoke with my advisor) that my car had to be paid in full before I could take it off the lot. And of course as previously mentioned, I have wait until I get the VIN from Tesla, before I can put my Tesla on the insurance.. before I can even complete the ordering process. And to top it off, our sales tax isn't included in the final Tesla quote for my bank financing - here in Texas, the sales tax is paid separately, after the fact! At least, I suppose, I can pay for that on my credit card (around $3000) and get the points and pay it off quickly and not incur interest!

Say what you want about living in New Jersey... but not only can we actually buy a Tesla in the state.... but the sales tax is completely waived. Furthermore, as long as the car's $55k or less, the state will actually send you a $5000 rebate! I guess I miss out on the credit card points, but sounds like a fair trade. ;-)

• Funny
Reactions: jjrandorin
Say what you want about living in New Jersey... but not only can we actually buy a Tesla in the state.... but the sales tax is completely waived. Furthermore, as long as the car's $55k or less, the state will actually send you a $5000 rebate! I guess I miss out on the credit card points, but sounds like a fair trade. ;-)

Ha. Maybe a reasonable trade off/offset is that we don't have state income taxes here in Texas. You may have beaten me in saving $8000 ($5000 rebate + $3000ish sales tax), but I've got you on 40+ years in no state income taxes:)

• Informative
Reactions: dmurphy
Ha. Maybe a reasonable trade off/offset is that we don't have state income taxes here in Texas. You may have beaten me in saving $8000 ($5000 rebate + $3000ish sales tax), but I've got you on 40+ years in no state income taxes:)

For sure! And I'm reasonably certain that, even if your home is 4x the size of my little single-story ranch, your property tax bill is less annually. :)

But hey, it feels good to crow about the one darned thing we get right. (Well that, and our schools are good... I'll give 'em that.)

Reactions: swb2734
Data point: I spoke with a sales associate and they confirmed that here in Canada you do not need to upload your insurance docs until the day of delivery.

I recently purchased my Model 3 here in Ontario, Canada. I can confirm this. I didn't upload a copy of my insurance slip until the day before my scheduled delivery date.

I needed to supply the VIN and a copy of the purchase agreement to my insurance broker in order to update my insurance policy to cover the Tesla. Once those two things were available on my Tesla account, I was able to convert my insurance and upload a copy of the updated slip to Tesla.

I just waited till I got my VIN. Trust me, you don't need to rush to do all those things they want you to do. I did everything after I got my VIN and it still took forever with Tesla. You are not holding anything up.