Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New order vs Reservation number

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMHO if you order a car that is not too unique you may get it right away. Seems to me that AWD, white interior, white pearl exterior, non long range, were not part of the early build. I get the impression if you are paying cash and choose the M3s in the 50 to 60k range they will have one for you this quarter.

I had a 2016 reservation and submitted my order last Friday the 20th 5 hours after I did a test drive. Once they confirmed I was a cash buyer the next day in a phone call they said my car was built! Now I am in limbo waiting for a purchase contract. Once I submit full payment (a Texas rule) they say delivery will be in two weeks!

Is there any advantage using already established reservation number vs one placed this week? I want to ensure delivery by the end of the year for a M3 LR..
It seems to depend on what you order. If you want a RWD long range car or a Performance AWD, those seem to be getting shipped sooner than the plain AWD long range without the Performance upgrade. However, both of those options appear to have a pretty good shot at getting delivered before the end of the year. If you are want standard range battery then your chances of getting it before next year are, by all accounts, zero.

Dan

Reservations are still supposed to have priority. If you are asking if you would ‘waste’ a reservation by using it for a particular type of order, that’s a good question. Perhaps for LR. I would think it would help for P and AWD.

If you want a SR, I’d save it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dr. J
Reservations are still supposed to have priority. If you are asking if you would ‘waste’ a reservation by using it for a particular type of order, that’s a good question. Perhaps for LR. I would think it would help for P and AWD.

If you want a SR, I’d save it.

Agree 100% ... An early reservation will make a big difference next year when the SR Model 3 is released. For a LR/AWD/P not so much :cool:

How do I place an order without using my existing day 1 reservation (which I'm saving for a car in 2019, maybe)? Even without going through MyTesla, I start designing and it uses the options from the car I configured in MyTesla. Is there an option to use/not use the reservation after you confirm the order process and pay the $2,500? Do I need to make another reservation, or create another MyTesla account?

Did it work?

If not, I know a guy that can help.
Didn't get to it yet. :oops: My wife & I are going back & forth on color (I think it's down to red or black; I started at blue). I'll report back when I finally try something.

So, "you know a guy?" :D
001OEL_Andy_Garcia_033.jpg

A bit of LOL intended...but I ordered in a store and have kept in touch with my owner advisor, pretty confident if you cant make it work on the website - he could get it ordered for you.
Dr. J is in Texas.

For us Texan's, be we new arrivals or otherwise, ordering is a store is not an option. For us, it is all DIY on the internet or by phone to California (and FULL payment prior to the car leaving California).

• Helpful
Reactions: S5S5G6 and Dr. J
That's actually very helpful. Saving $2,000 was enticing, and the black looks amazing.... Now the wife says she's OK with blue, so.... I need to go in person to look at colors again.

Blue is nice and a smarter choice. If you chip the paint, you can easily repair it yourself. Multi-coat red will be difficult. I don’t event think Tesla sells the chip repair kit.

That's actually very helpful. Saving $2,000 was enticing, and the black looks amazing.... Now the wife says she's OK with blue, so.... I need to go in person to look at colors again.
Blue looks amazing in person, but I’m very underwhelmed by the sample they have in the showrooms. Try to see it on a vehicle if at all possible. I was told by a salesperson that Tesla only allows white, red, and both silvers as display models, so seeing blue can be a little more difficult.

• Helpful