Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Oregon Superchargers (2018)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That looks like a pretty tight spot. If it's a supercharger it won't be larger than 8 spaces and even that basically takes up all the parking in the lot behind that building.
I certainly wouldn't expect it to have 8 spots--doesn't really need that many--but I would hope for 4. It's still not clear if this is a Supercharger. This might be Greenlots or EA or someone. If so, I could see them doing like two of those dual-cable stations.

That's also not that ideal of a location. There's a coffee shop a block away that closes at 3pm and a Deli across the street that closes at 4pm. I would actually rather have it down the road a bit near the high school where there's a McDonald's and Subway (both open at least till 9pm) and grocery store open till 10pm.
I agree that a little farther south in town there are more amenities around, but this probably comes down to the company not having to try to discuss or negotiate to try to get approval from some other business that would be skeptical or resistant. The Chamber of Commerce there has been really supportive for a long time, so they could get approval instantly at this spot with no fuss.

Reactions: RocketMan88
I certainly wouldn't expect it to have 8 spots--doesn't really need that many--but I would hope for 4. It's still not clear if this is a Supercharger. This might be Greenlots or EA or someone. If so, I could see them doing like two of those dual-cable stations.

I agree that a little farther south in town there are more amenities around, but this probably comes down to the company not having to try to discuss or negotiate to try to get approval from some other business that would be skeptical or resistant. The Chamber of Commerce there has been really supportive for a long time, so they could get approval instantly at this spot with no fuss.

I don't think Tesla bothers with installing 4 or 5 stall locations any more. Those all seem to be from early build outs (The Dalles, Ellensburg, Ritzville, etc). I think 8 is about the smallest they do right now... maybe 6, but I haven't seen any recent builds in the West that small...

It's still not clear if this is a Supercharger. This might be Greenlots or EA or someone. If so, I could see them doing like two of those dual-cable stations.

I don't believe it will be Electrify America! They don't have any plan for something in that part of the state. Their plan is pretty much along interstates. I just double checked their map as well. I went to Greenlots' site but they don't seem to have a place for coming soon chargers. Their app doesn't show any charging east of Bend.

Reactions: RocketMan88
I don't believe it will be Electrify America! They don't have any plan for something in that part of the state. Their plan is pretty much along interstates. I just double checked their map as well.
Probably right about that. EA seems interstate focused.
I went to Greenlots' site but they don't seem to have a place for coming soon chargers. Their app doesn't show any charging east of Bend.
Well, this is the one that has me curious, because just recently, it was Greenlots who stepped up where Tesla has not to doubly supply DC fast charging on the US 95 route between Boise and Winnemucca in this same area, putting CCS/CHAdeMO stations in both McDeritt and Orovada. So that shows that Greenlots at least is aware of and doing something in this area of these non-interstates in the Oregon hole. So this would fit their M.O.

I don't think Tesla bothers with installing 4 or 5 stall locations any more. Those all seem to be from early build outs (The Dalles, Ellensburg, Ritzville, etc). I think 8 is about the smallest they do right now... maybe 6, but I haven't seen any recent builds in the West that small...
For the most part you are right, but there have been quite a few 6-stall installations recently and one 4-stall in Jackman, Maine. (There have been other recent 2- and 4-stall builds in the US and Canada, but they have all been valets or service centers or some other mitigating circumstance.) If ever there were a place for a low stall count, it would be Burns, especially if the lot is small. If this is a supercharger, my best guess would be 6 stalls, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's 4 or 8 either.

I finally have something concrete on this, but still not quite specific enough to say exactly what it is. Since this rumor, I have been checking the Oregon building permits page, and I finally found something for a high power car charging station, but it doesn't say whether it's Electrify America or Tesla or some other company. I have emailed the company, asking if they can tell me that detail of whose kind of station they will be installing. I'll create a new thread for it once I can get an answer to title the thread with what brand of station it is, whether Supercharger or something else.

Anyway, here is the permit. The description of the project says "Car Charging Station, located behind the Chamber building - 3 phase 480V"

Accela Citizen Access
The permit is showing that there was an inspection on the underground electric work, so whatever it is it's already under construction.

In remote Canadian locations they put in power cabinets for 8 stalls but only put 6 pedestals in until traffic warrants 8 so would make sense for Burns. Would not be surprised if Tesla as they have a permit now for Ontario and tend to work on multiple locations in an area.

I noticed the owner listed in the permit is the Harney County Opportunity Team which appears to be a local non-profit. That makes me wonder if this build is something less than a Supercharger. The 480v, 3 phase comment would mean DC fast charger of some type.

Last edited:
The permit is showing that there was an inspection on the underground electric work, so whatever it is it's already under construction.
Sounds like another fun Saturday day trip is in @Rocky_H 's future!
Yeah, when I saw that, I did start thinking about that for one of these Saturdays. I don't think I would take the Tesla for that, since it would be a 6 hour round trip without any fast charging.

For the most part you are right, but there have been quite a few 6-stall installations recently and one 4-stall in Jackman, Maine. (There have been other recent 2- and 4-stall builds in the US and Canada, but they have all been valets or service centers or some other mitigating circumstance.) If ever there were a place for a low stall count, it would be Burns, especially if the lot is small. If this is a supercharger, my best guess would be 6 stalls, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's 4 or 8 either.
I've been to the current Tesla non-supercharger station there... and they might actually be able to fit 8 spots in that parking lot. That being said... 99% of days 2 stalls would suffice. but that parking lot is pretty empty so I'm sure they can fit at least 4 in given the size.

I finally have something concrete on this, but still not quite specific enough to say exactly what it is. Since this rumor, I have been checking the Oregon building permits page, and I finally found something for a high power car charging station, but it doesn't say whether it's Electrify America or Tesla or some other company. I have emailed the company, asking if they can tell me that detail of whose kind of station they will be installing. I'll create a new thread for it once I can get an answer to title the thread with what brand of station it is, whether Supercharger or something else.

Anyway, here is the permit. The description of the project says "Car Charging Station, located behind the Chamber building - 3 phase 480V"

Accela Citizen Access
Rocky_H, this should be enough for you to start a new Burns thread.
First, I checked the permit and saw there had been a ‘final inspection’.
Then, thinking I’d call the ‘Opportunity Council’ where it’s being installed, I spotted this recent post at their website.
So it’s in and it’s ChargePoint.

Attachments

• 184419E6-65B3-4AA2-9678-FE031EA6888D.png
    184419E6-65B3-4AA2-9678-FE031EA6888D.png
    400.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 7A26DC4D-584C-4233-B5CC-274BA0C4AFD9.jpeg
    7A26DC4D-584C-4233-B5CC-274BA0C4AFD9.jpeg
    503.6 KB · Views: 55
Rocky_H, this should be enough for you to start a new Burns thread.
First, I checked the permit and saw there had been a ‘final inspection’.
Then, thinking I’d call the ‘Opportunity Council’ where it’s being installed, I spotted this recent post at their website.
So it’s in and it’s ChargePoint.
A Burns Supercharger thread, or one about the ChargePoint?

Sounds like another fun Saturday day trip is in @Rocky_H 's future!
That's funny, because it was just last night that I decided that I was going to make that trip Saturday to go see what's up, and then this morning @3'sterly posted the update and pictures that there is a station there.

Now that we know the brand, I just checked Chargepoint's map on their website, and sure enough--there it is! It's already listed as operating, and it says it is the dual cable setup with a CCS and a CHAdeMO. With just the single station, though, this will be an ongoing source of nervousness about the reliability of it staying working.
If this new ChargePoint has been installed in the same parking area as the existing Tesla-branded connector, I sure hope the town doesn’t disconnect the Tesla connector.
I really doubt that would happen, since they are run by two different entities. This is a Chargepoint station, but the wall connector is directly owned and operated by the Chamber of Commerce.
A Burns Supercharger thread, or one about the ChargePoint?
Yeah, of course Chargepoint, but it is definitely worth its own thread in the Northwest section, since there have already been about 4 other threads there about "How can you do the drive between Bend and Boise?" This is big news regardless.
@Hebert Ah, yep. I was about to take a screen shot of it. Good job.