Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Oregon Superchargers (2018)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears the Oregon Trail Electric Coop is the driving force this new charger. Per this article, they are planning single chargers in John Day, Baker City and Burns. A half hour at a Chademo sure opens up eastern Oregon.

OTEC gets green light to install charging station

oooof. That’s ~$10 for ~25kWh in that 30 minutes and probably 75 to 80 miles in winter and maybe 100 in good weather! Not cheap, that’s for sure!

oooof. That’s ~$10 for ~25kWh in that 30 minutes and probably 75 to 80 miles in winter and maybe 100 in good weather! Not cheap, that’s for sure!
Meh, it's traveling cost. Everything is a bit expensive when you're on a trip out of town, and $10 for a gas stop seems not out of line.

These charging stations are damn expensive, and they won't exist if you expect them to charge 75 cents for a charge or something.

Reactions: im.thatoneguy
A Burns Supercharger thread, or one about the ChargePoint?
Seriously lol. A very disappointing follow-up to the "things are popping in Burns" post!

And please don't start a thread for a random chargepoint charger. I can't imagine how cluttered the forum would get if we had a thread for every one of those.

It appears the Oregon Trail Electric Coop is the driving force this new charger. Per this article, they are planning single chargers in John Day, Baker City and Burns. A half hour at a Chademo sure opens up eastern Oregon.

OTEC gets green light to install charging station
Single chargers are such a bad idea though. It should always be at least 2, even in the middle of nowhere.

It is incredibly petty to complain about the price of electricity on these middle of nowhere installations. Trust me, when there is no other way to get a reasonable fast charge on a particular route, you'd be willing to pay $100 for a charge.

Seriously lol. A very disappointing follow-up to the "things are popping in Burns" post!

And please don't start a thread for a random chargepoint charger. I can't imagine how cluttered the forum would get if we had a thread for every one of those.
Just remember that I don’t live in or anywhere near Oregon so I didn’t know this was a big deal

It's certainly not just a "random" Chargepoint charger. This charger has been talked about in several threads throughout this forum for years.

And that is some hypocrisy to complain about forum clutter over moving this to a more appropriate thread to talk about this charging location, rather than continuing it here, off topic, in the "New Oregon Superchargers" thread. This is to unclutter it. Give me a break.

There are already at least four threads about "How the hell do I get across this wasteland of Oregon?!" Having one thread with a preemptive solution to this seems entirely appropriate.

Last edited:
It is incredibly petty to complain about the price of electricity on these middle of nowhere installations. Trust me, when there is no other way to get a reasonable fast charge on a particular route, you'd be willing to pay $100 for a charge.

I get that, I just hate the cost. Tesla seems to be able to do it without jacking prices way up. This essentially makes it about the same cost as a ~26mpg car paying like $3/gal or more for gas.

Reactions: Potpourri

I think it's worth a its own thread too actually. You have to remember this connects a large part of two states that were previously unavailable basically to EVs. Burns getting a Chademo is bigger news imho than 2 or 3 new superchargers combined in any other part of the state.

Any other non-tesla charger and I would agree with you. But for those of us that actually have to make this trip. I'd happily pay the 450 for a chademo adapter now. Bend to Boise, Bend to Ontario, Bend to Sun Valley, Southeastern Oregon to Utah... there are TONS of routes that were unavailable until now.

absolutely. I've experienced this. Had to stay overnight in Burns with a really sick kid and couldn't get out because of a lack of charging options. With hills, cold, etc. it can take 6 hours + to charge there with the current charging infrastructure because a full charge can sometime get you only 1/2 of the stated range in those conditions

I'd like to revive this older thread on Oregon supercharger locations. Since I live in Sisters (Central Oregon), I'll focus on east of the Cascades. Here are the ones on the east side we have at this moment:
The Dalles
Bend
Klamath Falls
Pendleton
Baker City

There is the one that has been planned for a long time in Burns. Definitely need that one to get up and running. Anyone know the status? It has been in the "coming soon" category for years.

After Burns, there really needs to be one in John Day. I can make it from Sisters all the way to Baker City with around 25% left but it doesn't really allow me to go anywhere on a detour without stopping for a while at the John Day Chamber of Commerce or in Prairie City (both have 10kWh chargers, but just one each). There are so many beautiful spots in that part of the state.

I'd like to revive this older thread on Oregon supercharger locations. Since I live in Sisters (Central Oregon), I'll focus on east of the Cascades. Here are the ones on the east side we have at this moment:
The Dalles
Bend
Klamath Falls
Pendleton
Baker City

There is the one that has been planned for a long time in Burns. Definitely need that one to get up and running. Anyone know the status? It has been in the "coming soon" category for years.

After Burns, there really needs to be one in John Day. I can make it from Sisters all the way to Baker City with around 25% left but it doesn't really allow me to go anywhere on a detour without stopping for a while at the John Day Chamber of Commerce or in Prairie City (both have 10kWh chargers, but just one each). There are so many beautiful spots in that part of the state.

Tesla seems to have remembered Oregon is a U.S. state recently, with a few superchargers on the west-side seeing updates (Hillsboro, Salem). Hopefully they finish some of the other holes in the state (Burns, Roseburg, and others).

Rocky_H, this should be enough for you to start a new Burns thread.
First, I checked the permit and saw there had been a ‘final inspection’.
Then, thinking I’d call the ‘Opportunity Council’ where it’s being installed, I spotted this recent post at their website.
So it’s in and it’s ChargePoint.
A permit for the Burns Supercharger has been found!!!
Supercharger - Burns, OR (or Hines, OR)

8C8618F8-E4DD-46F7-B8DE-FB45245813BF.jpeg

You've got to be kidding me! Hines! I've been checking that Oregon permit database for months, but I always just put Burns into the city and look through all the permits. I never thought one could be basically in Burns but technically in a different city.

Hey all. Long Time Lurker, first time Poster! Making a Trip from Central Oregon heading north down I-84 and coming back through Burns. Any update on if the Ontario SC so I don't have to head into Boise and back out to head home. Excited to have the Burns SC up and running as I head that way four or five times a year and always feel like I'm running on fumes between Boise and Bend!

Hey all. Long Time Lurker, first time Poster! Making a Trip from Central Oregon heading north down I-84 and coming back through Burns. Any update on if the Ontario SC so I don't have to head into Boise and back out to head home. Excited to have the Burns SC up and running as I head that way four or five times a year and always feel like I'm running on fumes between Boise and Bend!
Neither Hines (near Burns) or Ontario are "up and running." They both have threads on this forum. That is where you will find the most recent information.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I noticed a comment in a Tesla FB group:

"While charging in Burns yesterday, the Chamber of Commerce advised that Tesla had pulled a permit for 8 Superchargers. A much needed location for Central Oregon." Thanks Sue!

Of course I also noticed on Oregon's permitting website: "ePermitting will be closed Monday, Nov. 11th in Observance of Veteran's Day and will resume business on Tuesday, Nov. 12th." So I can't look it up!

What's the website to check on Oregon permits?