Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New outlet to garage, how much$

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So first of all, I am a new here, I do know how to search, but I'm not even sure what I should search for. My question is, how much should I expect to pay (hardware + install) if I have an existing 110V 12 amp outlet next to my parking space? The second part is that this house had a hot tub out in the back yard, so the CB panel has an unused 100 amps, can I harness that, and send it to the garage?
Like I said, I'm new, so be gentle.
Cheers!

It's a question best asked of a local licensed electrical contractor. Wiring for the Tesla charger is not a DIY thing and could put the safety of your home at risk.

Circuit breakers are sized to protect wire, they have little to do with the actual capacity of your electrical panel. Cost will be a function of local labor rates, whether your current panel/service has enough capacity and the distance / difficult of the wire run.

Your signature says you have two chargers, so you want 100a circuit to supply 80a (20% safety factor is industry standard). Though if the incremental cost was crazy, you could use a 50a circuit and charge at 40a, it will still be charged overnight. There is not much benefit to having the car charged at 3am instead of 6am if you're asleep.

Like Cyclone said, it will vary based on location.

That being said, I just had one (NEMA 14-50) put in the other week in Houston for $400. That's for an 8 foot run between the circuit breaker and the outlet.

YMMV.

Like Cyclone said, it will vary based on location.

That being said, I just had one (NEMA 14-50) put in the other week in Houston for $400. That's for an 8 foot run between the circuit breaker and the outlet.

YMMV.

Meanwhile, rearranging my panel wth half height breakers to make room, adding in a 50amp break, running copper one floor up and about 20 feet over, drilling through some wooden beams, building a junction box, and mounting everything was $450 for me. Took the electrician about 3 hours.

I put in one of the new wall chargers in a couple of weeks ago. My install was quite costly since I needed an entirely new panel plus the electrical panel is very, very far from my garage. I had him wire it for 80 amps. The whole install cost me almost $3,000.

240v NEMA 14-50, 50 amp outlet installed with permits and city inspection for $1050. Outdoor panel is directly behind the garage wall where I will park the S (arriving in a month), so installation took less than 2 hours.
20160509_144351.jpg

I work from home, so I have the advantage of not needing 240V charging in my garage. There was already an existing 20A 120V plug in my garage. I get 5mph charging. On a busy day, I can drive 40+ miles running errands and helping out my wife with the carpool. If you have a 20A 120V plug in your garage, do the math to see if you even actually need to install a 240V plug. After overnight charging, I typically start the day with a full 90% charge unless I've done a lot of driving like on weekends, or coming back home after a long roadtrip. I plug in the car whenever it is parked in the garage. Even if I am home for only a couple hours before I have to go out again on another errand, that's 10 miles of range while the car is just sitting there in the garage.

So here is some math I did before buying the model S. I drive approx 15000 miles a year. Worst case scenario, that's 3000 hours of charging at a rate of 5mph. I was skeptical before I bought the model S, but after a month of ownership, I don't think I'll need to install 240V charging.

I work from home, so I have the advantage of not needing 240V charging in my garage. There was already an existing 20A 120V plug in my garage. I get 5mph charging. On a busy day, I can drive 40+ miles running errands and helping out my wife with the carpool. If you have a 20A 120V plug in your garage, do the math to see if you even actually need to install a 240V plug. After overnight charging, I typically start the day with a full 90% charge unless I've done a lot of driving like on weekends, or coming back home after a long roadtrip. I plug in the car whenever it is parked in the garage. Even if I am home for only a couple hours before I have to go out again on another errand, that's 10 miles of range while the car is just sitting there in the garage.

So here is some math I did before buying the model S. I drive approx 15000 miles a year. Worst case scenario, that's 3000 hours of charging at a rate of 5mph. I was skeptical before I bought the model S, but after a month of ownership, I don't think I'll need to install 240V charging.
I charged my i3 for a year on a 110v 15a outlet and got by OK, unless I stayed out late and departed early.

I tried the Tesla in my garage with a 20a outlet and could not get it to take more than 12a. Does yours just snap to 20a when you plug it in? Did you have to set the current limit manually? I'm going to be at a vacation house for a month this summer and I'm guessing a 15a or 20a circuit is the best I'll find.

I charged my i3 for a year on a 110v 15a outlet and got by OK, unless I stayed out late and departed early.

I tried the Tesla in my garage with a 20a outlet and could not get it to take more than 12a. Does yours just snap to 20a when you plug it in? Did you have to set the current limit manually? I'm going to be at a vacation house for a month this summer and I'm guessing a 15a or 20a circuit is the best I'll find.

I bought a 5-20 adapter from tesla. Tesla — NEMA 5-20

I bought a 5-20 adapter from tesla. Tesla — NEMA 5-20
Ahh. I'm just using the 110v adapter that comes with the UMC, so I guess even when plugged into a 20a circuit, but not the pin configuration you show, it won't take more than 12a? Hard to believe those little adapters have any intelligence, but apparently they do.

I note that even the 5-20 maxes out at 16a, 20% surge/safety factor.