TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New owner— Best booster seat?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ChrisCavanaugh, Dec 2, 2019 at 5:35 PM.

1. ChrisCavanaugh

ChrisCavanaugh New Member

Hey guys, recently just purchased a 2016 Model S 90D. Love it and excited to be on the forum.

Need some help, I have a 5 year old. Any one have experience with a booster seat that works good? The one I have works, but not the best.

Thanks!

2. TexasTeslaRacing

Try the Diono Monterey XT.

3. Jard

Jard Member

I just ordered (on Sunday) from Amazon:
    - Graco TurboBooster LX
    - Maxi-Cosi Rodifix
    - Diono Monterey XT
    - Diono Monterey 4 DXT

By the end of the weekend I hope to test them all and take some pictures.

Right now we have a Peg Perego Viaggio Flex 120 and it works okay due to the very narrow base but I am trying to find something without rigid LATCH that fits a bit better with the MS next gen headrest that sticks out a bit.

Lots of folks were recommending the Maxi Cosi in my research due to its very narrow base but it’s also rigid LATCH.

Tesla says don’t use rigid LATCH with a booster and all the manufacturers say don’t use a seat belt extender.

I plan to make a new thread when I’m done!

• Like x 1
  4. cduzz

cduzz Member

My son found it absolutely impossible to use the seat belt without an extender. I ended up buying a 6 inch extender. I hope I never find out if it makes a difference.

Mine is some sort of graco thing that had a back but then the kids outgrew the backs so now it's just the base. We never used the backs in the tesla.

Sorry I don't have anything more useful to add.

5. Jard

Jard Member

I’ve only had the MS for a few days but my son (7 yo) can buckle himself in the Peg Perego Viaggio Flex 120 without an extender, again because the base is very narrow - only 12”.

If I can find something similar to that with non-rigid LATCH (more to secure the seat when he’s not in it) I’ll be happy.

If not, what he has works.

My daughter is 5 and still in her front facing convertible Clek Fllo which fits in the MS really well. She’s about to grow out of it due to shoulder height though, she’s about 46” tall.

6. paulmitchelljr

paulmitchelljr New Member

• Like x 1
  7. Zishan

Zishan Member

@Jard , please do respond back. My very tall 5 year old struggles with his seat belt due to the width of our current booster. I'm very interested in finding something narrower.

Eagerly watching this thread! :)

8. Simon_Emes

Simon_Emes Member

Yes, the seat belts are big issue with booster seats. My kids hate that.

Following to get suggestions...

9. ChrisCavanaugh

ChrisCavanaugh New Member

Thanks guys, I will look forward to see how they look when you get them posted.

10. Chaserr

Chaserr Active Member

Third row is perfect for 5 yr olds

• Like x 1
  11. Zishan

Zishan Member

I agree, my 5 year old fits perfectly fine, however, his little brother, is just a little too small to be back there, for now. So we like to keep them in the 2nd row.