Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner… I wish someone would've warned me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course that MS Plaid would leave even a ZR1 for dead on the highway. I always try to convince myself the M3P is enough…I still want a tri-motor one day :D
It will leave anything for dead on the highway, the thing pulls as hard as it's 0-60 going 70 mph and keeps pulling until it reaches its limited top speed. There is a video of a couple of guys (I think from Ingenext? Not sure), where they hacked the S Plaid to remove its limiter and it kept pulling after 200mph....lmao.

I understand that straight-line speed is not everything, and more so when your brakes are garbage but come on, it is literally a perfect daily.

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
New owner here of an M3P. Love the car but wished someone warned me it will make everything feel SLOW. I drove my Vette the other day which is procharged and makes around 600hp. It felt like garbage!

Looking forward to learning from you guys! Completely love this thing
I took delivery of my M3P last month (September 2022). So much fun to drive! I have driven Porsches and BMWs. I told my neighbor that I would take on his Porsche Carrera. He said it would be No Contest. The Porsche would lose! Just ordered a second Model 3.

It's no contest. The Lexus' traction control is weak, so it's difficult to not spin the tires off the line. Using Draggy, my best 0-60 time in the Lexus is around 5 seconds, while the M3P does around 3 seconds consistently.

Its not the traction...i rolled with one at 30mph and just ran away from it. The Lexus V8s are just plain slow...at least they sound great :D.

Absolutely no joke. Was at Disney over the summer and rode Rock n' Roller Coaster ... always one of my favorite rides at Disney; now it's a big bag of "meh."

Driving a Plaid ruined it.

Funny you bring this up, I have never experienced a Plaid (yet, fastest I have gone is Ludicrous speed) but the family and I were at Universal last week, and we rode on Velocicoaster and The Hulk.

Velocicoaster is 2.0 seconds 0-50mph, so a bit "slower" than Plaid, Hulk is even "slower" (0-40mph 2.0s), although it is angled upwards, so probably the pull force is similar.

I told my family it is almost Plaid speed (my son is quite into cars -- he has a boxer engine in pieces he is working on rebuilding).

I can see how people that are passengers literally crap themselves when they aren't prepared for what the Plaid can do! Especially if it was pulling for a second or 2 longer.

Funny you bring this up, I have never experienced a Plaid (yet, fastest I have gone is Ludicrous speed) but the family and I were at Universal last week, and we rode on Velocicoaster and The Hulk.

Velocicoaster is 2.0 seconds 0-50mph, so a bit "slower" than Plaid, Hulk is even "slower" (0-40mph 2.0s), although it is angled upwards, so probably the pull force is similar.

I told my family it is almost Plaid speed (my son is quite into cars -- he has a boxer engine in pieces he is working on rebuilding).

I can see how people that are passengers literally crap themselves when they aren't prepared for what the Plaid can do! Especially if it was pulling for a second or 2 longer.
You can warn the passengers all you want -- even feeling the car drop into Cheetah stance - but nothing prepares you for that first launch. It's absolutely ridiculous. Makes Ludicrous seem slow. And you know just how fast THAT is :)

I've driven a Plaid but really can't own one. I'd be a hazard to myself & others.

The only thing we've ridden that's faster than a Plaid, was the Top Thrill Dragster in Cedar Point (ride permanently shut down as of 2021)

That does 0-120MPH in 3.8 seconds and from what I get some a few quick searches is the plaid hits 100 right around 4 seconds, and 130 around 6.5-7 seconds.

(FYI, we've never ridden it, but a similarly designed ride, Kingda Ka in Six Flags NJ does 0-128 in 3.5 seconds ...)

I drive my minivan on purpose to reset my butt dyno. I feel my M3P gains 100hp after my minivan drive. 😁
Back in June I needed a pickup for a day to haul things. Cue the Ram 1500 "Big Horn" edition rental. 250+ mile round trip including 100+ miles of twisties.

When I got home and drove the M3P around the block it literally felt like a go-kart.

Last edited:
I drive my minivan on purpose to reset my butt dyno. I feel my M3P gains 100hp after my minivan drive. 😁
my snow vehicle is a 2004 ford explorer. 4.7L V8 and its got a good response time still and is a beast in the snow but i push on the gas now and i feel like i have a lead foot as there is no response pushing it just the lightest touch like i do now, lol The wifes car annoys me like crazy as i feel like im revving the crap out of it just for it to shift, 😁

Back in June I needed a pickup for a day to haul things. Cue the Ram 1500 "Big Horn" edition rental. 300+ mile round trip including 100+ miles of twisties.

When I got home and drove the M3P around the block it literally felt like a go-kart.
Have that same feeling, I live in the southern california mountains and i love driving my m3 around the bends, its a great vehicle.

Reactions: tm1v2
The only comparison that some people might have experienced, is a magnetic launch coaster (like Hulk or Velocicoaster at Universal).
Yes!! We had Mr. Freeze back in Dallas, TX that was just like Tesla.

I myself just sold my track toy (2021 Camaro 2SS 1LE). After getting the M3P, I just can't use anything with either a skinny steering wheel or something that isn't quick to go! Miss the V8 sound but I think if you really want to compliment Tesla, buy something that isn't trying to compete in terms of speed, more like a small roadster or something else for a track car.

When I sold my Camaro, my wife could not believe it but I'm glad there is a group of folks like me who can relate to the experience. I still have my Tahoe when I need to haul a bunch of people, but Tesla just makes life so much easier to sit and chill on I-95!

I have a 2014 Shelby GT500 that is 740hp and 720tq at the wheels on a dyno.

I wish I could drive both the MYP and the Shelby side by side say from a 40 or 50 role…… I still think the MYP could pull for a bit.

I traded test-drives/rides with a friend who has a 760+HP '22 Shelby GT500 the other day.

Having never been in an EV, he was gobsmacked by the instant, silent, massive pull of my car, and I was equally awed by the sound, fury and top-end power of his car. The throttle blips as the Shelby's DCT downshifted during deceleration were fun too.

But it takes a BIG open road and nobody around to really enjoy his car, while mine is a riot in the type of driving we all do every day.

In the end, both are an absolute hoot to drive!

All that said, never going back to an ICEV DD...

I traded test-drives/rides with a friend who has a 760+HP '22 Shelby GT500 the other day.

Having never been in an EV, he was gobsmacked by the instant, silent, massive pull of my car, and I was equally awed by the sound, fury and top-end power of his car. The throttle blips as the Shelby's DCT downshifted during deceleration were fun too.

But it takes a BIG open road and nobody around to really enjoy his car, while mine is a riot in the type of driving we all do every day.

In the end, both are an absolute hoot to drive!

All that said, never going back to an ICEV DD...
Yeah, I’m gonna keep the Shelby they’re too rare not to keep. But I won’t ever buy another ice vehicle I don’t think.