Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner —Worried

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that range mode is only in the S/X. I've never seen it in the 3.

Speed > HVAC. Depends on how much speed, but driving 50 mph vs 65 should be better than turning hvac off. When the car is low on battery, it always advises to drop the speed, rather than to turn off hvac.

Besides, hvac is a necessity when it is very cold/very hot, so you can only drop a few degrees before it is unhealthy. If you can drive with hvac off, then it probably wasn't using much power.

Yes, range mode for S - I don’t think it makes a significant difference anyway. When trying to conserve in my S, I also use the seat heater on low instead of full car heater in the winter. I have noticed just a little bit more range when doing that, but of course have to factor in how cold it is. It does not get much below 30 degrees F where I live.

User 212 great info and terrific advice. My next long trip will be Indianapolis (I hope later in the summer). That's about 3 hours on the nose in an ICE automobile. Should be easily doable with stops like the ones you reccomended. Thank you very much for your kind words and good tips!

When I lived in Indy I used to have to drive to Chicago periodically. I-65 long and mostly flat and straight. I tried an efficiency test once in a non-Tesla and ran 55mph in the right lane the entire distance. Made a lot of truckers angry, but got great efficiency. Good route to try a long trip in your 3.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread - try to avoid using the same numbered supercharger as another car, if possible. I believe that on the pre-V3 superchargers, the A and B pillars share the same power source. So, for example, if another car is on 1A, you'll charge faster on 2A than 1B.

Full disclosure - I've only used 1 supercharger one time so far. I'm sure someone will correct me if this advice is incorrect!

Reactions: Rocky_H and iamnid
Hi everyone! I really need your advice and forgivrpe this lengthy post. I have wanted a Tesla for so long and finally got mine last Saturday. I have been reading the threads and need some advice/reassurance, because my anxiety is preventing me from truly enjoying my new car.

(I’m still learning how to post here — posted this previously as a reply in another thread.

It's a Model 3 Standard Range Plus. I picked it up in St. Louis on Saturday. (That's where they found me one--I live in suburban Chicago). On my 295 mile trip home, I had to charge twice. I was really surprised by that. (Both were at Superchargers---which by the way took a really long time---as long as an hour).

Here were the conditions: Blinding rain, pretty cold (probably 40's), wipers and lights for much of the trip. Do those kinds of conditions really sap range? So much so that I needed to supercharge twice on a 295 mile trip?

Please, another example. I'm 28 miles from work. One day this week I started with my car displaying a range of 299 miles. It rolled off 40 miles on that 28 mile trip. Is that normal? (45 degrees, some drizzle, wipers for part of the trip --- and lights). Last night on the way home that 28 mile trip burned 35 miles.

Now---one last thing. I know this is controversial: I just really don't like the appearance of the aero covers or the gun-metal wheels below them. PLEASE DON"T FLAME ME ON THIS I paid extra for the 19" sport wheels because I just thought they look better. Are those really sapping my range? Or can someone reassure me that that number may be minimal? I've seen everything from 5% to 10% range reduction on the forums. I'm so worried I made a huge mistake.

Most of all everyone, I just want to start loving my car. This is all sort of hanging over me. I don't have range anxiety. I have "think about range all the time" anxiety.

Any and all advice/comfort you could offer would be very welcome. It is a beautiful car.

Thank you,
Phil Rogers
Chicago
seems the current conditions are less than ideal. I know rain = increased resistance so that can affect range. Plus cold weather. Is your heater on? If I were you, I would just put the percentage on the battery display and don't worry about the mileage. Just charge it every day. My 2019 LR with aero gets pretty decent range, but I'm in California and don't have the type of weather you are facing. EV to me, seem like it makes you feel conscious about the range. With gas cars I never usually hit the EPA hwy mileage and it was never a concern. Just charge to the needed percentage each night and be done with it.

This. Very much this.

You have to have a certain number of posts before you can add an avatar, but I believe you can always add an
image to a post. Just click the "Upload an Image/File" button at the bottom. Give it a second to upload, then click the "Insert Full Image." Although it is possible that you have to have a certain numbers of posts to do that as well.
agreed free yourself!

Gas cars get their mileage “zapped” for many of the same things. It’s just far more visible in a Tesla, or many EV in general, because it’s front and center.

Yes but not to the tune of 30%+ its just not explained well enough to the public. The website should at point of sale have an average for summer and winter weather. The variation is large and it is only right to inform people properly to make a better educated purchase on the milage to suit them. Take my SR+ its 240miles but only at 55 the whole way warm, its really 170 ish in winter. Tesla need to stop public confusion and star being realistic. Have a milage variation chart per country.

Joe these are great pieces of advice. I have been holding my speed down and have managed to stay above the energy graph every time---even though I drove all the way up into Wisconsin from Chicago. Worked well to and from work as well---I did not know about the hydrophobic sealant. I'm going to check it out. How often do you have to apply it?

That depends on which product you use. I personally simply use Technicians Choice Ceramic Detail Spray, as opposed to a dedicated windshield sealant such as Aqua Pel. I figure I clean my windows every 2 to 3 days any way so I might as well use the TC CDS to both clean and leave behind a ceramic, hydrophobic protection.

So here's this morning's update. Chicago being Chicago---we went from a 70 degree day to a 45 degree day with rain. So my morning trip in involved wipers, headlights, and water on the road. Before departure, the energy graph predicted I would go from 80% to 65%. I drove conservatively---never above 65 as semi's roared past me and doused me with water. Still, I was dropping below the graph. I slowed down at one point to 55. I eventually arrived with 63%. But what do you guys think? What are the biggest factors? Cold, wipers, headlights, rain on the road? Interested to know.

Regarding wheels... I signed up for this kickstarter....we'll see how they look. The original aero wheel covers have actually grown on me, I was originally planning to take them off and just go gunmetal alloy.

Orbital

Other than that, as others have pointed out, charging to 100% is totally uncalled for at a supercharger. I would have expected the delivery folks to have given it to you fully(90%) charged, then stop once at the midpoint or well beyond to get you home.

If you compare the city/highway MPG estimates for ICE cars, the highway MPG estimate is always higher than the city MPG estimate. For EV's, it is the opposite. If you are crusing at 75 to 80 mph in an EV, you have to use a lot of juice to keep the speed up AND you miss out on regenerating the battery through braking.

The difference in ICE cars is due to acceleration, not speed. 55mph will always use less gas than 75mph.

I believe Newton’s Law would mean that the regeneration would not factor in since the recovered energy is always less than the expended energy but I’m not smart enough to numbers to it.

Reactions: PACEMD
The difference in ICE cars is due to acceleration, not speed. 55mph will always use less gas than 75mph.

I believe Newton’s Law would mean that the regeneration would not factor in since the recovered energy is always less than the expended energy but I’m not smart enough to numbers to it.

Yes, you are correct. I dd not mean for my comment to suggest that 75 mph uses less energy than 55mph. I simply meant that energy consumption and patterns while driving an EV are different in some important respects compared to driving an ICE car. It is therefore important to famliarize yourself with the different variables that go into overall energy efficiency and consumption.

Yes, you are correct. I dd not mean for my comment to suggest that 75 mph uses less energy than 55mph. I simply meant that energy consumption and patterns while driving an EV are different in some important respects compared to driving an ICE car. It is therefore important to famliarize yourself with the different variables that go into overall energy efficiency and consumption.

I totally agree.

Reactions: joebruin77
What are the biggest factors? Cold, wipers, headlights, rain on the road? Interested to know.

All of the above

If you're not going 55-60 mph in 60-80 degree temps, you won't be able to keep that energy graph at or below the "rated" number. So what if you arrive with 63% or even 50%? You still have plenty to make the return trip, and plenty of time to recharge overnight for the next day's trip.

Hey everyone, i have a new question. I've found the energy graph really useful. But this morning it threw me a curveball. I was way below the graph, and was trying to manage my use. Then when I was close to my destination, when i checked it, it showed a sudden abrupt plunge in the original predicted grey line. Please see the two images below. The first one shows that---the second one, shows the screen as I arrived and that "plunge" had stabilized out. Any thoughts? (BTW temp was in the low 40's).

enroute.jpg
arrival.jpg

Hey everyone, i have a new question. I've found the energy graph really useful. But this morning it threw me a curveball. I was way below the graph, and was trying to manage my use. Then when I was close to my destination, when i checked it, it showed a sudden abrupt plunge in the original predicted grey line. Please see the two images below. The first one shows that---the second one, shows the screen as I arrived and that "plunge" had stabilized out. Any thoughts? (BTW temp was in the low 40's).

View attachment 539834 View attachment 539835

Were you following the path that the navigation system had laid out for you? I've seen the 'expected' line change(up) if I take a shortcut where the miles and speed are both lower, like if I take an early exit and drive the last 6 miles on surface streets that avoid several miles of highway.

Were you following the path that the navigation system had laid out for you? I've seen the 'expected' line change(up) if I take a shortcut where the miles and speed are both lower, like if I take an early exit and drive the last 6 miles on surface streets that avoid several miles of highway.

I did deviate from the route it wanted because it wants to send me on a different expressway than what I know is the shorter route. But I've done that every day on the way to work. (I wish it would "learn" the route). This is the first time the graph has done that. Do you think that plunge happened at the moment i changed routes?