Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner —Worried

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please don't get testy. I have a brand new car. I love it. I'm just trying to understand it. Especially if I take a long trip I want to make sure I understand all of the factors that impact range. If this is aggravating you, you might want to choose a different thread. And thanks for weighing in.
I’m glad you love the car and glad you want to understand it. But you’re asking the same question repeatedly, and getting the same answer every time. It’s not going to change. My question was genuine - what are you expecting?

Cold impacts range. Wind impacts range. Rain really impacts range. A cold, windy deluge REALLY impacts range - you might find yourself using two rated miles per actual mile of driving worst case.

This isn’t an EV phenomenon - you’re just hyper-aware of it right now and never gave it a second thought in a gas car.

It appears you have a 60 mile round trip to work. You just showed that even with your battery only charged to 80%, you can easily travel 2-3 times that distance in poor weather.

Where is your “worry” coming from?

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I’m glad you love the car and glad you want to understand it. But you’re asking the same question repeatedly, and getting the same answer every time. It’s not going to change. My question was genuine - what are you expecting?

Cold impacts range. Wind impacts range. Rain really impacts range. A cold, windy deluge REALLY impacts range - you might find yourself using two rated miles per actual mile of driving worst case.

This isn’t an EV phenomenon - you’re just hyper-aware of it right now and never gave it a second thought in a gas car.

It appears you have a 60 mile round trip to work. You just showed that even with your battery only charged to 80%, you can easily travel 2-3 times that distance in poor weather.

Where is your “worry” coming from?

Trying to understand everything. Thanks

Regarding wheels... I signed up for this kickstarter....we'll see how they look. The original aero wheel covers have actually grown on me, I was originally planning to take them off and just go gunmetal alloy.

Orbital

Other than that, as others have pointed out, charging to 100% is totally uncalled for at a supercharger. I would have expected the delivery folks to have given it to you fully(90%) charged, then stop once at the midpoint or well beyond to get you home.

Wow, I think those look great on the 18" wheel!

how could you not like the Aeros, jk, well in person I liked them way better but you also never had the silver metallic option maybe

9487165F-C1AB-462F-8A74-385BE209C8A1.jpeg

BTW, I just got a note that they will also be making them with a silver appearance.

I have a black car so black would look great. Seems like they won’t be delivering them for a while though. Said May delivery before and now says September Estimated. However, makes me nervous that the language says they don’t guarantee they will even be able to deliver and also that they aren’t responsible for refunds.

Joe these are great pieces of advice. I have been holding my speed down and have managed to stay above the energy graph every time---even though I drove all the way up into Wisconsin from Chicago. Worked well to and from work as well---I did not know about the hydrophobic sealant. I'm going to check it out. How often do you have to apply it?

I’ve been a big believer in Rain-X for probably 20 years. There’s something very satisfying about watching the water just flying off when driving 40+ mph!

On the Model 3, what’s really nice is the roof is also glass, so, between washes it’s easy to clean it as well, if needed.

I typically rain-x once a month. Spray rain-x onto a paper towel, then wipe it onto the glass. Wait about 5 minutes and then buff off with a microfiber. A few sprinkles of water can help with the buffing. Also, it’s best to do this in the shade or when the sun angle is low.

I’ve been a big believer in Rain-X for probably 20 years. There’s something very satisfying about watching the water just flying off when driving 40+ mph!

On the Model 3, what’s really nice is the roof is also glass, so, between washes it’s easy to clean it as well, if needed.

I typically rain-x once a month. Spray rain-x onto a paper towel, then wipe it onto the glass. Wait about 5 minutes and then buff off with a microfiber. A few sprinkles of water can help with the buffing. Also, it’s best to do this in the shade or when the sun angle is low.

This is very helpful! Thanks very much!

Thank you for your really kind reply. Regarding the St. Louis trip my car was charged fully to 240 but it was a 295 mile trip. That’s why I was surprised at having to make two stops, one in Springfield and the other in Bloomington.

As far as my work trips, it’s garaged on both ends.

(By the way last Sunday I drove to Rockford—-89 miles on the nose). Do you think that 178 mile round trip should have been ok or was it risky? (I charged at the Rockford supercharger before returning)

Keep in mind that a lot of things that zap range on a Tesla will also zap range on a gas car. Not every but many things.

Also with a gas car people don't look at their range display, if their car even has one. They look at the gas gauge. My old Audi not only displayed range but you could go into a sub screen and it would show everything you has on (seat heat, steering heat, HVAC, etc) and show you the mpg of each so you could make adjustments if you wanted.

With Tesla's and most EV's people seem to look at the miles of range instead of the battery level (ie gas level comparable).