Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner - 3 issues; Alignment, Taillight bugs, seatbelt Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Hey guys, long time lurker, first post since I bought I think.

Anyway, Certified Pre Owned 2013 Model S w/14,000 miles. S85 etc etc.

Been driving about two weeks now, but not every day :( We got 10-14" of snow since I bought it, and while I'm sure the S is awesome in snow, I don't trust the Geo Metro tailgaiting me. So I drove my beater car.

Anyway, some seat time with the new Space Boat of Light & Wonder:

Noticed yesterday, because I'm finally treating it more like a car, and less like the object of my obsession for the past 3 years...

It's pulling to the right! :( I know it has 14,000 on it, but it's a CPO car. This wasn't checked? I have a repair scheduled... 2 hour drive for me :( I didn't ask for a loaner because the fix should only take 1-2 hours, and it would take me that long to drive home, then drive back, then drive home... so that's 4+hours of wasted time I could just be chilling. Maybe I'll ask for a loaner for the day to go to the KOP Mall (Devon Service Center, PA).

So, it pulls to the right, which I'm hoping is a warranty issue, since it's got a 6 year 100,000 mile bumper to bumper... I've babied this car every second since I got it, and know I didn't damage the alignment...

Second issue: From reading this forum I knew to look for this... BUGS in the tail lights. No, not the ones and zeros kind, but actual stupid dead bugs in the tail lights of my very not cheap car!

The guy who sold it to me said if I had to bring it in, or whenever I wanted they'd swap out the tail lights.... so I'm having that looked at while it's in.

FINALLY: the last issue I have that's pretty much the only issue I have with the car, and boy is it a major one!

The car is so damn quiet... I can hear the seat-belt rub the mount above my left ear. Seriously. I can HEAR the thing move ever so slightly when I accelerate, stop, etc.

Now obviously I can't WD-40 the thing, it's nylon seat-belt on plastic rubbing...

Anyone else have this issue? yea, I'm OCD about noises/rattles in my car, which is one of the things that drove me (ha ha, drove?) me to tesla.

The car is so quiet I can hear my brain going nuts over the seatbelt!

Certified Pre Owned 2013 Model S w/14,000 miles. S85 etc etc.
Just to clarify; you bought the car from Tesla and was told it was a "Certified Pre Owned" car, meaning it had been owned privately and then Tesla took it back in trade on a new Model S?

As to your questions, I'm sure Tesla will fix the pulling issue, replace the taillights, and try to eliminate the seat belt "holder" noise you describe. I do not recall a post about that noise on TMC before but I could have missed it.
Yes the car is very quiet but it is not perfectly quiet and the lack of engine and exhaust noise means other noises may be more apparent. Tire noise, for example. Also, when you quickly take your foot off the brake pedal the pedal hits something as it returns to position and makes a very obvious noise, more than other cars I have owned. Lift you foot off the brake pedal more gradually and that noise goes away.

Last edited:
Yes, the program hasn't been 'officially announced yet'. I was trying my best to wait for the SUV, because... reasons.

But I caved, and was going to pickup a used S85 to hold me over because I could have it.... now.

So I called the KOP showroom and said, hey, I'm about to buy a used S85, but do you have any 'inventory' cars (to compare price/features/etc).

He said, well, it's not been announced, but, what are you looking for?

Within the day, he emailed me the specs on the car I ended up buying.

Apparently Parramus, NJ will be their CPO hub, and that's where we went to pick it up. It's new. as in so new the paint wasn't freaking dry on the walls. And that's NOT a euphemism.

Seriously. I think the paint was wet.

CPO gets you: 6 year, 100,000 bumper to bumper from date of ORIGINAL delivery.
And factory reconditioned.
They told me they fixed all the scratches in it, any scratches on the wheels, and I asked if I could have a new nose cone, since the car came from a state w/front plates, and I didn't want holes in my new car! They replaced the nose cone, no cost.

The price was $2k less than a used one I was going to buy. They gave me $2k MORE for my trade than the other place. The car had MORE features, and longer warranty. So I was like... When can I get it!!! Waiting the two weeks for them to refurb it, was the longest two weeks of my life!

But yes, I have a CPO S85, and even a small brochure on what CPO means and the warranty.
the plan is to trade this in on an X, when they become more available.

The S is basically my litmus test to see if the car is everything I've been dreaming and thinking of for the past 3 years... if it is... I'll buy the SUV (which is what I really want)... if not, it gets sold. (so far, I love it)!

As for noticable noises, with no engine to hide them: Anyone else hear a thunk when using the high beams? I only noticed it because I like the car so much I sat in it, in my garage for like two hours the other day.

If you go to the Parammus, NJ location, you'll see dozens of Model Ss (Ses?) in the parking lot ready to be refurbished.

Last edited:
Congrats on your purchase, sounds like a good deal.
Yes, pretty loud thunk when using the high beams for me too. Typically the kind of thing you would not hear in an ICE. Turning the radio on solved the issue.

Congrats on your car! Too bad the warranty is only limited to 6 years from the original in service date. When the car is 3 years old tat means you barely get another 3 years of warranty.

Did they give you any option to extend the warranty at an additional cost?

I would not be caught dead with a Tesla out of warranty as all repairs have to be done by Tesla and I can imagine their repair rates and cost to be even more than what I'm used to at our Mercedes dealer with the caveat that I can't take it to anyone else.

As for the pulling to the right, it could be a tire pull unless there is a actual problem with the wheel alignment angles. If the previous owner did not hit the curb or impact something to cause caster or camber to go out of spec and the alignment is within specs when alignment is performed. There is a chance is due to tire pull or the road crown. Try driving on a flat surface and see what happens.

it pulls to the right

Second issue: From reading this forum I knew to look for this... BUGS in the tail lights. No, not the ones and zeros kind, but actual stupid dead bugs in the tail lights of my very not cheap car!

FINALLY: I can hear the seat-belt rub the mount above my left ear

To rule out the obvious on the first one (apologies if you already checked this), did you check the air pressure in all 4 tires? I had some weird high speed lane changing stuff going on and I found my pressure was +5 in one tire and -5 in another. I brought them both to within 1 PSI of spec and it is much better.

Haven't heard about the bugs .

The shoulder seat belt issue is common. I still have it.
I believe I solved my seat belt rattle!!
B-Pillar Squeak from Seat Belt Mechanism...

I noticed the seatbelt noise as well. Mine has been in for service twice since delivery (9/14) and I haven't noticed it as of late -- I haven't listened for it and I usually drive with music. I'll drive silently tomorrow to see what I hear.

I laughed at myself when I first heard it since it was such a minor thing. I am spoiled with the silence now.

Yep, tire pressure is dead on for all four. I did that a few days ago.
I'll mention it to the service people. it's a 2 hour drive, so I want to get it all fixed while I'm there.
I'll also check out those links, thanks for sharing!

Mine doesn't have the "knocking" from the seatbelt, but where that teflon tape, I'd wager is where the noise is coming from.

If they would remove 1/2" of material from that trim piece, and let the belt ride on the actual seat belt device, it wouldn't have the plastic to rub against any more.

This --> B-Pillar Squeak from Seat Belt Mechanism...

Looks exactly like my issue!

Funny, the last forum I was on for my wrangler, we all had seatbelt flap issues when driving w/the doors off! We used seatbelt protectors to keep them from flapping in the wind!

Thanks

Hey guys, long time lurker, first post since I bought I think.

Anyway, Certified Pre Owned 2013 Model S w/14,000 miles. S85 etc etc.

Been driving about two weeks now, but not every day :( We got 10-14" of snow since I bought it, and while I'm sure the S is awesome in snow, I don't trust the Geo Metro tailgaiting me. So I drove my beater car.

Anyway, some seat time with the new Space Boat of Light & Wonder:

Noticed yesterday, because I'm finally treating it more like a car, and less like the object of my obsession for the past 3 years...

It's pulling to the right! :( I know it has 14,000 on it, but it's a CPO car. This wasn't checked? I have a repair scheduled... 2 hour drive for me :( I didn't ask for a loaner because the fix should only take 1-2 hours, and it would take me that long to drive home, then drive back, then drive home... so that's 4+hours of wasted time I could just be chilling. Maybe I'll ask for a loaner for the day to go to the KOP Mall (Devon Service Center, PA).

So, it pulls to the right, which I'm hoping is a warranty issue, since it's got a 6 year 100,000 mile bumper to bumper... I've babied this car every second since I got it, and know I didn't damage the alignment...

The guy who sold it to me said if I had to bring it in, or whenever I wanted they'd swap out the tail lights.... so I'm having that looked at while it's in.

FINALLY: the last issue I have that's pretty much the only issue I have with the car, and boy is it a major one!

The car is so damn quiet... I can hear the seat-belt rub the mount above my left ear. Seriously. I can HEAR the thing move ever so slightly when I accelerate, stop, etc.

Now obviously I can't WD-40 the thing, it's nylon seat-belt on plastic rubbing...

Anyone else have this issue? yea, I'm OCD about noises/rattles in my car, which is one of the things that drove me (ha ha, drove?) me to tesla.

The car is so quiet I can hear my brain going nuts over the seatbelt!

Awesome!

Could you tell us the MSRP and what did you pay? Please PM if you dont want to say it publically

Thank you!