Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner and some things that I do not like

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course the Tesla has issues, as has every car I have owned since my first in 1970, a Fiat 124 Spyder-but I won't bore you all with the details (although I think I have posted some of my foibles in various places here).

I believe that the down-turning mirrors (which you now know can be turned off) were original designed to enable you to see small objects to your sides when reversing, not to see cars coming perpendicular to you. The concern particularly was that small children were being run over by their parents who could not see them along the side of the car, or even exploring partly under the car, when the mirrors were in the usual driving position. Also, toys left in the driveway were getting run over. So I use them tilted for that reason, although I have no children at home and don't leave my toys in the driveway.

I do not have a problem adjusting my side mirrors to a good view for forward driving. The view out the interior mirror is unfortunately limited by the shape of the car, but that should have been apparent in a test drive. You can turn on the rear view camera while driving forward if you wish, but I find it distracting.

I don't like the phantom braking (and my wife hates it when she is a passenger), but I can keep driving.

Meanwhile the Autosteer is by far the best of its type I have ever used. It keeps the car rock-steady in the lane better than other vehicles and far better than those driven by people not using Autosteer or Lane Keep Assist. It functions fine on normal curves and often works when there are no road markings.

I hope you enjoy your Model 3 more in the future.

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
I have had my 3 for about a month and here are a few things that Tesla should have fixed long ago. First, the cruise will suddenly stop and come to a halt if you do not take action to keep going. Mine will actually begin braking on an open road with no one near me. Since the Tesla is a relatively new concept the sudden slow down can cause some panic, as you are not sure what is going on. Next, why oh why did Tesla force the outside mirrors down when backing up? OK, so maybe it could be useful for curb avoidance but why on the left side? Or did the Engineers think that only people from the UK would buy them? Then there is the limited rear view in general. I can excuse them on this one as they needed to keep the wind resistance to a minimum and the design just does not allow a good rear view through the rear view mirror. Yes, there is the screen but I still rely on what I can actually see, when backing up, and the inside mirror just does not allow enough view. Then there is the "dead spot" warning, or rather "no dead spot warning". By the time you see a car on your left, on the screen, it is much too close to change lanes. On my Acadia you glance at the mirror and if there is a little yellow light you know someone is in the dead spot, so you only check the outside mirror for an instant. But on the Tesla you have to look two places, the outside mirror and the dash screen, in order to determine if it is safe to change lanes. I find that cumbersome.
More later
In Syracuse there are one-way streets, so parking on the side of the road there could be a curb on either side, so both side mirrors looking down is a good idea. i.e. in front of Prime Steakhouse

I have very bad news for you if you want a company that cares about its customers and your waiting on a F-150 lightning; YMMV but tesla seems chill compared to the shitshow of customer service that is Ford. They are literally the worst I have evr experienced, from trying to to charge me for a reflash on their systems via a FSB, to regularly failing to accept warranty coverage on our f-150's, to the worst service centers ive ever seen. don quixote woudl like a word with you if your looking for quality customer care from Ford.
It all comes down to the dealers you deal with. I've generally had good experiences from Ford dealers, but sub-par from Dodge/Jeep/Ram ones. Every new car I've purchased has had some minor issues I've had to straighten out when purchased, but have generally been fine after those initial issues. Am I making excuses? Probably, but in the end, auto makers only care about you as much as they need to to keep making money, all of them, and Tesla is no different.

is there a way to assign driver profile to specific keys? if not this is a feature id def want

Yes, in the lock/keys menu, you can choose which profile goes with which registered "key". So the wife and I have different profiles, each linked to our phones and keycards :)

Yes, in the lock/keys menu, you can choose which profile goes with which registered "key". So the wife and I have different profiles, each linked to our phones and keycards :)

nice gonna do this later, thank you!

I have had my 3 for about a month and here are a few things that Tesla should have fixed long ago. First, the cruise will suddenly stop and come to a halt if you do not take action to keep going. Mine will actually begin braking on an open road with no one near me. Since the Tesla is a relatively new concept the sudden slow down can cause some panic, as you are not sure what is going on. Next, why oh why did Tesla force the outside mirrors down when backing up? OK, so maybe it could be useful for curb avoidance but why on the left side? Or did the Engineers think that only people from the UK would buy them? Then there is the limited rear view in general. I can excuse them on this one as they needed to keep the wind resistance to a minimum and the design just does not allow a good rear view through the rear view mirror. Yes, there is the screen but I still rely on what I can actually see, when backing up, and the inside mirror just does not allow enough view. Then there is the "dead spot" warning, or rather "no dead spot warning". By the time you see a car on your left, on the screen, it is much too close to change lanes. On my Acadia you glance at the mirror and if there is a little yellow light you know someone is in the dead spot, so you only check the outside mirror for an instant. But on the Tesla you have to look two places, the outside mirror and the dash screen, in order to determine if it is safe to change lanes. I find that cumbersome.
More later

I completely agree with the deadspot/blindspot issue. Lack of good blindspot monitoring is what will be the demise of this car.

"Good news for you, Tesla vehicles have very good resale value and you should be able to sell it quickly with limited financial damage (unlike GMC Acadia)." More ignorance by Tesla Nazis. I sold my GMC Sierra for eight thousand more than I paid for it. That is how I could buy a Tesla. AND I fully intend to sell the Tesla next year as soon as my Lightning is delivered.
I think this speaks more to the used vehicle market than it does the Sierra. New vehicle inventory is constrained which has increased demand on used vehicles. I traded in my 2018 Volt for $3,000 less than what I paid for it new three years ago. The dealer said that, due to constraints on new inventory, their current business is primarily selling used vehicles and that any new vehicles they receive have already been spoken for before the dealer has taken delivery of them.

I think most of you missed the point of my thread. I could have filled the page with things I like about my 3. I was listing things that could have been simple fixes by Tesla that were overlooked. Then came the excuses. Also, Tesla may be the leader in EV's but they are not the only player in town and if they want to keep that leading edge, they need to put less farts in their engineering and more safety and user friendly features. The GMC Acadia is ahead of Tesla on that one. As for trying to help me, I did not ask for help, I was addressing issues that should have been addressed by Tesla in the first place.
One last comment, my mirror tilt does not turn off. Maybe there is a problem with my 3 and I need to have it serviced, but the mirrors tilt even when I turn the tilt off.

Thanks for whining lul

I have zero complaints. 2 years in.

I find it fascinating that people still use side mirrors. The cameras are all I use. I find the side mirrors useless.

Can't wait for side mirror removal for an increase in range and less wind noise. Cameras are all you need.

Reactions: Nrvna76
More later
No car is perfect.

My cruise control never comes to a halt so I don't know what that is.
The mirrors tilting down you can adjust. Just put it in reverse gear, then adjust mirrors.

I completely agree with the deadspot/blindspot issue. Lack of good blindspot monitoring is what will be the demise of this car.
Possibly, but seriously doubt it. This has been a reported issue since the first Model 3 rollout, hasn’t changed, and Tesla‘s growth has been phenomenal. And it continues. For some this is a big deal, for the rest of us we set our mirrors appropriately, and turn our heads as needed. Now if you want to talk about phantom braking, well…

OP...

On the bright side... since Teslas hold their value so well, you can sell your car and get one that you'd be more happy with. It's obvious that Tesla just isn't for you. Nothing wrong with that.

Life is short. Find a car that makes you happy!

Reactions: rpiotro

Cool, I somehow missed this feature - thanks for educating me too.

The OP just made my day. It brakes because you have to pay attention and hold the steering wheel. It is not a drive for you system yet and it won't be for years to come. In regards to the mirror, I personally love the mirrors tilting and have saved me from hitting numerous curbs. You should be looking around the vehicle with your head when you back. My gosh have people become lazy...

Reactions: rpiotro
Congratulations on the new car. I bought my M3 in March of 2020 and this is the only car I’ve ever owned that is far better today than when I picked it up.

awith that said of course there are things I’m waiting and hoping for, 360 vision and waypoints would be at the top of the list. I can’t remember the last phantom breaking I had and I don’t miss blind my side mirrors lighting up anymore.

Enjoy the car and in a year from now it will be even better than the day you drove with it.