Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner and some things that I do not like

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think most of you missed the point of my thread. I could have filled the page with things I like about my 3. I was listing things that could have been simple fixes by Tesla that were overlooked. Then came the excuses. Also, Tesla may be the leader in EV's but they are not the only player in town and if they want to keep that leading edge, they need to put less farts in their engineering and more safety and user friendly features. The GMC Acadia is ahead of Tesla on that one. As for trying to help me, I did not ask for help, I was addressing issues that should have been addressed by Tesla in the first place.
One last comment, my mirror tilt does not turn off. Maybe there is a problem with my 3 and I need to have it serviced, but the mirrors tilt even when I turn the tilt off.
It looks like the point of this thread is to proclaim that Tesla has poor engineering. We got it. It also looks like you are the only one who sees excuses in our answers. By the way, my understanding is that in V10 Tesla will implement FSD graphics that will provide a much better and reliable 360 view of the environment. This effectively will resolve the lack of the lane change warning in the mirrors.

All cars have deficiencies in design, functions, convenience. The responsibility of the car buyer is to make sure that the car does not have deficiencies that are critical for buyer's experience. If the lane change warning light in the mirror is so important for you, then you failed your responsibility to educate your self about the car before making purchase. Good news for you, Tesla vehicles have very good resale value and you should be able to sell it quickly with limited financial damage (unlike GMC Acadia).

Side note: macheforum had a trending news thread "Lots of Tesla trolls roaming these halls" where Ford fanboys on 6 pages discussed how bad are Tesla trolls, which is really funny cuz they remove from their Ford Co.-controlled forum anyone who hint at any criticism of Ford. A lot of trolls come to this Tesla forum, but they are allowed to stay and usually they are getting killed by love and inclusion. Radios, if you came here to document the outrage of Tesla fanboys and report it in your blog hoping for getting clicks, you came to the wrong place.

Reactions: Phlier and rpiotro
Unfortunately, the M3 is not one of those vehicles. The driver's side mirror will not pan out far enough for a proper view. I had to replace it with a Suma wide angle mirror to solve the problem.
Did you just glue the Suma mirror over the Tesla mirror? Or was it a more significant replacement procedure?

occasional phantom braking, no bsm indicator, and no independent mirror tilting are outweighed by plethora of other convenient features for me.
until another car manufacturer sells a car with similar performance (sub 4sec 0-60) and features with OTA updates on similar fast charging network for under $45K, I will be driving a Tesla.

Reactions: c00sebookpro
One last comment, my mirror tilt does not turn off. Maybe there is a problem with my 3 and I need to have it serviced, but the mirrors tilt even when I turn the tilt off.
I don’t know if that’s still a feature but you used to be able to adjust the mirror tilt itself - put the car in reverse, now adjust mirrors to how you prefer them. They should tilt (or not tilt) to the same level next time.

• Informative
Reactions: alexgr
Another person making excuses for poor engineering. True, you and a handful of others may like the tilted mirrors. But the MAJORITY do not.

Another excuse for poor engineering from Tesla. If you ever purchased any other newer vehicle you would know they have great blind spot detection. Not Tesla.
I just bought a 2021 Nissan Kicks for $24K for one of my children. It has birdeye view for parking and right side view for curb view also. Tilting mirror is an old tech now.

My only real complaints are the (still) occasional phantom braking and the enormous pain it is to cancel a turn signal properly once it’s been fully engaged (i.e. not the quick 3-flash). One motion to start signalling, and an average of about 3 attempts to get it to stop.
Try a flick of the stalk, like you'd use to initiate a 3 blink; you know, not past the detent that gives it full engagement. That stops the blinker. Easy as can be.
Works up or down (aka right or left), regardless of which direction you've got the blinkers signaling.

Agreed. But all pf your suggestions are just excuses for poor engineering. Look at what you said and it is similar to this: "My new car jerks to the lft but since I know it happens everyonce ina awhile, I just get ready for it", or how about this, "just set your mirror tilt to off"....;well in the new er Tesla that does not work...check the threads. As for the phantom braking, I became aware of it instanly...when it happend. No one had to tell me...but it is still in issue even though I know it happens. My 3 actually brakes at cruse speed and I wonder if the brake lights come on?

Agreed. Tesla is just like a test airplane. It's not tested and proven yet. If you have guts you might want to become its test pilot.

It's "beta".

I have a choice to wait years for traditional testing and proven products (because when Tesla offered Autopilot in 2014, no others dared to do the same) or I could participate as a test pilot right now!

Agreed. But all pf your suggestions are just excuses for poor engineering. Look at what you said and it is similar to this: "My new car jerks to the lft but since I know it happens everyonce ina awhile, I just get ready for it", or how about this, "just set your mirror tilt to off"....;well in the new er Tesla that does not work...check the threads.
Huh? Does your car not have the option to turn it off? I haven't seen anyone say that option to turn it off does not work in the newer cars. There's only concern that sometimes it doesn't reset to the right location (having to do with the calibration of the side mirror, apparently it's calibrated similar to the windows by moving it through the whole range of movement), but your issue is you don't want auto tilt at all right? If that's the case it's dead easy to turn it off. You can also adjust the amount of tilt and save it.
See page 47 in the manual:
To turn this feature on or off, touch Controls > Quick Controls > Mirrors > Mirror Auto Tilt. To adjust the position of the mirrors while they are tilted, adjust the mirrors when Model 3 is shifted into Reverse. To save the setting to your driver profile, touch Save when prompted.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf
As for the phantom braking, I became aware of it instanly...when it happend. No one had to tell me...but it is still in issue even though I know it happens. My 3 actually brakes at cruse speed and I wonder if the brake lights come on?
You can see if the brake lights are on in the visualization. If the deceleration is enough it'll turn on the brake lights. This function is built in already due to regen when you release the accelerator pedal.
See page 82 in the manual:
NOTE: When Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is actively slowing down Model 3 to maintain the selected distance from the vehicle ahead, brake lights turn on to alert other road users that you are slowing down. You may notice slight movement of the brake pedal. However, when Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is accelerating Model 3, the accelerator pedal does not move.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gauss Guzzler
I have had my 3 for about a month and here are a few things that Tesla should have fixed long ago. First, the cruise will suddenly stop and come to a halt if you do not take action to keep going. Mine will actually begin braking on an open road with no one near me. Since the Tesla is a relatively new concept the sudden slow down can cause some panic, as you are not sure what is going on. Next, why oh why did Tesla force the outside mirrors down when backing up? OK, so maybe it could be useful for curb avoidance but why on the left side? Or did the Engineers think that only people from the UK would buy them? Then there is the limited rear view in general. I can excuse them on this one as they needed to keep the wind resistance to a minimum and the design just does not allow a good rear view through the rear view mirror. Yes, there is the screen but I still rely on what I can actually see, when backing up, and the inside mirror just does not allow enough view. Then there is the "dead spot" warning, or rather "no dead spot warning". By the time you see a car on your left, on the screen, it is much too close to change lanes. On my Acadia you glance at the mirror and if there is a little yellow light you know someone is in the dead spot, so you only check the outside mirror for an instant. But on the Tesla you have to look two places, the outside mirror and the dash screen, in order to determine if it is safe to change lanes. I find that cumbersome.
More later
I agree with your comment about Tesla's cruise control and the phantom braking it causes, but I've only noticed it on backroads, never on the interstates, so get used to being aware of where it works great and where it doesn't. There is one secondary road I drive regularly and there is one section of it with a broad sweeping curve, and if there is a car coming the other way my M3 will slam on the brakes about one time in three even though there is no chance of a collision. As for the mirrors tilting down on the left side as well as the right, anyone who has ever parked on a one-way street will appreciate that. I've also found that if my side mirrors are set just so, there is absolutely no blind spot on the highway. Try messing around with your side view mirrors a bit.

It looks like the point of this thread is to proclaim that Tesla has poor engineering. We got it. It also looks like you are the only one who sees excuses in our answers. By the way, my understanding is that in V10 Tesla will implement FSD graphics that will provide a much better and reliable 360 view of the environment. This effectively will resolve the lack of the lane change warning in the mirrors.

All cars have deficiencies in design, functions, convenience. The responsibility of the car buyer is to make sure that the car does not have deficiencies that are critical for buyer's experience. If the lane change warning light in the mirror is so important for you, then you failed your responsibility to educate your self about the car before making purchase. Good news for you, Tesla vehicles have very good resale value and you should be able to sell it quickly with limited financial damage (unlike GMC Acadia).

Side note: macheforum had a trending news thread "Lots of Tesla trolls roaming these halls" where Ford fanboys on 6 pages discussed how bad are Tesla trolls, which is really funny cuz they remove from their Ford Co.-controlled forum anyone who hint at any criticism of Ford. A lot of trolls come to this Tesla forum, but they are allowed to stay and usually they are getting killed by love and inclusion. Radios, if you came here to document the outrage of Tesla fanboys and report it in your blog hoping for getting clicks, you came to the wrong place.
"It looks like the point of this thread is to proclaim that Tesla has poor engineering. We got it. It also looks like you are the only one who sees excuses in our answers. By the way, my understanding is that in V10 Tesla will implement FSD graphics that will provide a much better and reliable 360 view of the environment."
Another excuse...well they are going to fix that problem later.
"All cars have deficiencies in design, functions, convenience." Not true. My Acadia does everything correctly and user friendly. Tesla has built in problems that Tesla refuses to fix, bowing to the Great Muskrat.
"...you failed your responsibility to educate your self about the car before making purchase." You failed to read my posts or you would see that I like my Tesla. There are things that could have been easily fixed...if Tesla had good engineers.
"Good news for you, Tesla vehicles have very good resale value and you should be able to sell it quickly with limited financial damage (unlike GMC Acadia)." More ignorance by Tesla Nazis. I sold my GMC Sierra for eight thousand more than I paid for it. That is how I could buy a Tesla. AND I fully intend to sell the Tesla next year as soon as my Lightning is delivered.
" A lot of trolls come to this Tesla forum, but they are allowed to stay and usually they are getting killed by love and inclusion. " Huh? I do not want your love or anyone elses on here for that matter. What I want is a blind spot warning that works, cruise that does not slam on the brakes, and a company that cares about their customers.

• Disagree
Reactions: alexgr
I read every word. There were no excuses that I saw. A few suggestions on workarounds snd corrections, but no excuses. You are either hyper sensitive, have a temporary bug somewhere private, or are a troll… or all of these things. Signing off this thread. I generally read these things from new owners to see if I can help, but you are not help-able.
tomas,
Thank you. However, there are no suggestions to fix issues that are built into a product. There are no suggestion to fix the phantom braking. ANY driver knows how to handle a sudden occurance (phantome braking, tire blow out, engine stopping etc), my comment addressed specific faults that should not be in a new car. There are no suggestions to fix tham, rather just people trying to convince me to accept poor designs. Allow me to tell you that the GMC Acadia has reliable adaptive cruise control, reliable blind spot warning, and it has every modern computer driven option that Tesla offers,,,and it haws been around for years....and ithas worked reliably on my Acadia since I purchased it. The Tesla has built in fault right out of the box.

You can change the auto tilting of the rear view mirror. The other stuff you’ll have to either get used to it or wait until Tesla changes something. Plenty of threads on these issues that you could have read on before buying just sayin.
You are correct on that one. I had set the mirror tilt off but it still tilted. Apparently I did not save the change. I think it now works correctly.

tomas,
Thank you. However, there are no suggestions to fix issues that are built into a product. There are no suggestion to fix the phantom braking. ANY driver knows how to handle a sudden occurance (phantome braking, tire blow out, engine stopping etc), my comment addressed specific faults that should not be in a new car. There are no suggestions to fix tham, rather just people trying to convince me to accept poor designs. Allow me to tell you that the GMC Acadia has reliable adaptive cruise control, reliable blind spot warning, and it has every modern computer driven option that Tesla offers,,,and it haws been around for years....and ithas worked reliably on my Acadia since I purchased it. The Tesla has built in fault right out of the box.
Which brings us to these questions: Why did you buy Tesla? Do you really own a Tesla? No offense, but if GMC Acadia, a proclaimed "worst SUV you can buy", seems to be so much more satisfying for you than Tesla, why did you really buy a Tesla? You probably can sell it in a week and get into something like Chevy Malibu with the same features as Acadia, and save $$. With your attitude towards Tesla, if you have ever owned it, why do you still keep it? This frankly sounds as some masochism to me if true.

Last edited:
Reactions: rpiotro
OP’s rudeness aside, I learned a bit reading this thread, so thanks to those that replied!

Me too! And I'm a manual reader kind of person, I missed a few things :)

"All cars have deficiencies in design, functions, convenience." Not true. My Acadia does everything correctly and user friendly. Tesla has built in problems that Tesla refuses to fix, bowing to the Great Muskrat.

A GM Acadia? This has approached the level of performance art. o_O

More ignorance by Tesla Nazis.

Godwin's Law invoked on a nice Sunday morning, outstanding :D

I fully intend to sell the Tesla next year as soon as my Lightning is delivered.
" A lot of trolls come to this Tesla forum, but they are allowed to stay and usually they are getting killed by love and inclusion. " Huh? I do not want your love or anyone elses on here for that matter. What I want is a blind spot warning that works, cruise that does not slam on the brakes, and a company that cares about their customers.
I have very bad news for you if you want a company that cares about its customers and your waiting on a F-150 lightning; YMMV but tesla seems chill compared to the shitshow of customer service that is Ford. They are literally the worst I have evr experienced, from trying to to charge me for a reflash on their systems via a FSB, to regularly failing to accept warranty coverage on our f-150's, to the worst service centers ive ever seen. don quixote woudl like a word with you if your looking for quality customer care from Ford.