Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new owner asks questions about autopilot and full self driving quirks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my model X a week ago. I've been using the "FSD" feature nearly constantly. I find that the way that the vehicle warns me that it thinks that I'm not paying attention is counterproductive. I'm watching the road, like I should be, and I'm getting thrown out of the FSD because I'm not watching the warning that comes up on the dash.

I've found that if I want to heed the warnings and not get thrown out of FSD, I have to watch the dash more than the road.

any suggestions as to how to let the car know that I am watching the road? I've tried giving the steering wheel a little yank now and again but this is ridiculous at times.

suggestions? comments?

It takes a bit of getting used to, but the best way is to just let the dead weight of your hand rest on the wheel. Yanking the steering wheel isn't want it wants. It wants a constant, low level of torque on the wheel. I pretty much never get an AP warning anymore now that I'm used to it.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I just got my model X a week ago. I've been using the "FSD" feature nearly constantly. I find that the way that the vehicle warns me that it thinks that I'm not paying attention is counterproductive. I'm watching the road, like I should be, and I'm getting thrown out of the FSD because I'm not watching the warning that comes up on the dash.

I've found that if I want to heed the warnings and not get thrown out of FSD, I have to watch the dash more than the road.

any suggestions as to how to let the car know that I am watching the road? I've tried giving the steering wheel a little yank now and again but this is ridiculous at times.

suggestions? comments?

FSD =/= Unassisted driving.. it doesn't mean automated driving.. it doesn't mean "self" as in the vehicle is driving..

FSD is a driver's assistance to minimize fatigue. You're still required to pay attention, the instrument cluster, mirrors, and yes, the steering wheel.

Automated driving (other than summons) isn't going to be legal in these production vehicles for a long time.

As mentioned, just keep your hands on the steering wheel and provide some resistance or slight force to it...

It takes a bit of getting used to, but the best way is to just let the dead weight of your hand rest on the wheel. Yanking the steering wheel isn't want it wants. It wants a constant, low level of torque on the wheel. I pretty much never get an AP warning anymore now that I'm used to it.

DirtyT3sla:

could you describe how you rest your hand or maybe attach a photo. I've tried this and it doesn't seem to work. I'm wondering if my vehicle is out of specs or something.

Something like this (with the hand mirrored of course). Sometimes I flip it over too.

I've heard of wheels being out of spec in both ways - some people never have to touch it, and some need too much force for it to be normal.

Attachments

• 2019_tesla_model_3_steeringwheel.jpg
    2019_tesla_model_3_steeringwheel.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 196
Leave your hands on the wheel and just follow along with the car as it makes turns or corrections. You will naturally lag or fight against the car a bit and this should be enough to let it know you are there and alert, and ready to take control immediately.

suggestions? comments?
Use the roller buttons on the steering wheel. A little movement of either of them will suffice to apprise the car of your presence.

...could you describe how you rest your hand or maybe attach a photo. I've tried this and it doesn't seem to work. I'm wondering if my vehicle is out of specs or something.

I constantly create a counter-torque on the steering wheel so that I can get the feedback and I can even predict when the steering goes rogue and I can intervene seamlessly and effortlessly. If I don't get the feedback, it's hard to react timely.

I don't need to actively do that, like @DirtyT3sla, I passively let the gravity to create a counter-torque on the steering wheel for me.

I hook my hand on the steering bar and let the gravity pull down my whole arm down. If too much, it would override the Autosteer so I just have to adjust the force accordingly.

When I got tired with one position, I can switch a hand to the other side of the steering bar:

3pBywvR.jpg

I can hold any part of the steering wheel and let the gravity pull my arm down.

Bt2VB7K.jpg

I can even rest my elbow on the left door armrest or center armrest.

I have been able to drive 5 hours straight without any error message or alarms and I don't need to visually check the instrument cluster to make sure there's no Autosteer reminding message because it's the tactile feedback from the automation torque that constantly informing me.

suggestions? comments?
You can also respond to the vehicle's request by moving either of the wheels on the steering wheel.

Reactions: jboy210
They should never have included Enhanced Autopilot or Autopilot with Convenience as part of the FSD option. Creates so much confusion on what the expectations are or should be for the system. Its really just a nice following cruise control at this point.

suggestions? comments?

Take a quite ride with AP on, and spend a bit of time “calibrating” the pressure you need on the steering to keep AP happy. It’s a little firmer than most people expect, but of course you cant be too aggressive or AP will drop out. After a short while it will become automatic and you wont need to check the nag screens, As to your point about nag screens, Tesla wants you to hold the wheel all the time (and thus never see a nag), rather than remind you to put your hand on the wheel to “prove” you are still there.

I use a combination of the resting left hand position depicted above and short pulls on the autopilot stalk to dismiss the nag. I find using a variety of wheel pressures, stalk pulls, and roller button adjustments lowers the cognitive load a bit and it feels more natural.