Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner buying a used MS questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, very new and excited to be a member of the UK Tesla family.
I will colllect my 2014 85MS today and wanted to ask you guys for some advice.
I've tried reading as much as possible these past few weeks and finding tons of conflicting information.
Third party dealer selling the car says the previous owner has removed the MS from his account (hopefully only within past few weeks) but i dont know if that means it has been added to third party dealer account? Or is the car in a 'unowned' status waiting to be added to an account? . Also says i will be able to benefit from the FUSC and premium connection. My question is do i just need to go through the process of adding the car to my new account? Do i need to upload my licence and or other documents? Do i need to wait weeks until i get my v5 before i can complete the adding process or can i use SC today when i collect the car today?

Thanks guys.

If you’ve not set up a Tesla account, do so online

Go to account

Click “claim car” and follow the instructions. Last time I saw it you did need the V5C back from the DVLA and your driving licence. It can also take a variable amount of time to then do as Tesla aren’t good on timescales in anything,

I’d also have a look here about things to do when you first get your car, I know from first hand experience having picked up a puncture within a few days of ownership that it’s worth being prepared

When you get your Tesla - Tesla Info

There’s also guides on there covering topics like charging etc which might be useful if you’re not familiar with EVs.

Thanks for the reply. I actually meant if i will be able to use super charger for the trip home today after collecting the car, even though i wont have the registration documents yet (takes up to 3 weeks i believe for DVLA to send it) and i wont therefore have car added to my Tesla account/app.
Btw, i am in the UK , so not sure if there are regional differences.
Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I actually meant if i will be able to use super charger for the trip home today after collecting the car, even though i wont have the registration documents yet (takes up to 3 weeks i believe for DVLA to send it) and i wont therefore have car added to my Tesla account/app.
Btw, i am in the UK , so not sure if there are regional differences.
Thanks

yes you should be fine supercharging especially if it’s free (I’m uk too).

If you’ve not set up a Tesla account, do so online

Go to account

Click “claim car” and follow the instructions. Last time I saw it you did need the V5C back from the DVLA and your driving licence. It can also take a variable amount of time to then do as Tesla aren’t good on timescales in anything,

I’d also have a look here about things to do when you first get your car, I know from first hand experience having picked up a puncture within a few days of ownership that it’s worth being prepared

When you get your Tesla - Tesla Info

There’s also guides on there covering topics like charging etc which might be useful if you’re not familiar with EVs.
Thank you, will take a look! I have an account ready setup and the app installed... just its all empty for now !

Thank you, will take a look! I have an account ready setup and the app installed... just its all empty for now !
Hi,
I was in the same position a couple of months ago when I bought a 2016 Model S.
The app had a glitch and I couldn’t upload all of my details. Phoned customer service and they told me to email [email protected] with a copy of my drivers licence, a proof of purchase and the gov.uk confirmation of owner. I did this and they added the car to my account straight away, I didn’t receive my V5 until many days later.
Free supercharging- I was told (but didn’t try for myself) that it recognises the car and not the owner. No idea if this is true.

Hi,
The app had a glitch and I couldn’t upload all of my details. Phoned customer service and they told me to email [email protected] with a copy of my drivers licence, a proof of purchase and the gov.uk confirmation of owner. I did this and they added the car to my account straight away, I didn’t receive my V5 until many days later.
Free supercharging- I was told (but didn’t try for myself) that it recognises the car and not the owner. No idea if this is true.
Awesome, thanks for all the advice all.

I wouldn't bank on being able to supercharge straight away. A bit depends on how the car was transferred to the dealer - if he just acted as intermediary then you will get the free supercharging but Tesla only transfer it to the first second owner rather than staying wth the car forever. As to getting it on your own account then there may well be delays even if it is tranferrable. By all mean try but make darn sure you have an alternative available if you need to top up before getting home. And as it;s out of warranty you wonlt have roadside assistance so ake sure you have AA/RAC etc cover including being trailered as far as necessary (some variants only take you 10 miles). Also make sure you have the tesla manual downloaded to your phone for the rare situation where car loses all power or your're in a phone dead spot and need to reference it, Double check what leads are provided and make darn sure the tow hook is with the car.

I wouldn't bank on being able to supercharge straight away. A bit depends on how the car was transferred to the dealer - if he just acted as intermediary then you will get the free supercharging but Tesla only transfer it to the first second owner rather than staying wth the car forever. As to getting it on your own account then there may well be delays even if it is tranferrable. By all mean try but make darn sure you have an alternative available if you need to top up before getting home. And as it;s out of warranty you wonlt have roadside assistance so ake sure you have AA/RAC etc cover including being trailered as far as necessary (some variants only take you 10 miles). Also make sure you have the tesla manual downloaded to your phone for the rare situation where car loses all power or your're in a phone dead spot and need to reference it, Double check what leads are provided and make darn sure the tow hook is with the car.
Yikes, thats a bit more worrying ! I do have the pdf manual downloaded. We have our leaf today and type2 to type2 cable already. i believe that the MS has dual chargers so i guess i could use a podpoint 22kw if needed ? Hopefully will put some juice in if we stop for an hour or two. And we only have 90mile trip home. Advantages of living in UK vs US.. everything seems so close by! Will look into breakdown cover. Thanks for the advice! I really hope i do inherite the Supercharging as i will be doing 50 000 miles a year.

Yikes, thats a bit more worrying ! I do have the pdf manual downloaded. We have our leaf today and type2 to type2 cable already. i believe that the MS has dual chargers so i guess i could use a podpoint 22kw if needed ? Hopefully will put some juice in if we stop for an hour or two. And we only have 90mile trip home. Advantages of living in UK vs US.. everything seems so close by! Will look into breakdown cover. Thanks for the advice! I really hope i do inherite the Supercharging as i will be doing 50 000 miles a year.

I don't think you'll have a problem supercharging. I bought my car used from a dealer and used the supercharger on the way home from picking it up.

It took several weeks to get the car added to the app - I had to send a copy of the V5 in my name (which itself took a week or so from picking the car up) and a copy of my driving licence. Both were submitted together to the email address NickSP11 quotes above. You will just have to accept that Tesla will add it 'when they are ready' and won't respond to follow up emails.

Get familiar with Zap-Map Map of charging points for electric car drivers in UK: Zap-Map (if you haven't already) and download the app. You will likely find there are several charging options nearby, some of which will be free as well.

Two other topics to read up on (if not already covered) are MCU update CSS conversion.

....Tesla only transfer it to the first second owner rather than staying wth the car forever.....

This is incorrect. Can you point to where you get your information?

On cars first registered pre mid April 2017 supercharging stays with the car forever unless the car is physically owned by Tesla as part of a trade in. There's more on free supercharging in this article/web page

Tesla Info: Do I have free supercharging?

This is incorrect. Can you point to where you get your information?

On cars first registered pre mid April 2017 supercharging stays with the car forever unless the car is physically owned by Tesla as part of a trade in. There's more on free supercharging in this article/web page

Tesla Info: Do I have free supercharging?

is tesla free supercharging transferred - Google Search

I have no experience of buying a used tesla but have read assorted claims to my original comment above. Far better a new purchaser has an alternate option than perhaps relying on a supercharger en route and findiing it unavailable.

I can’t see on that link where it says it only transfers once to the first second owner that I can see? The link I posted (which happened to to be the 2nd link in Google) says it should transfer ok unless Tesla have owned the car recently given the cars age.

Hi,

Good story. Can't speak to U.K., but in U.S. Supercharging we as simply owners can't speak for certain on a used Tesla's FUSC status. We've heard stories where non-Tesla dealers have registered the car (maybe to get work performed under warranty), and FUSC was removed from the car. So, when it was sold again, the most recent owner that registered it found FUSC was removed and they had to pay. So, I think forum members are shy to say, all 2012-2017-ish S/X always have FUSC.

Car collected... looks like one door handle light doesnt work... one key fob doesnt work (funily enough it looks brand new so maybe nneeds programming?) And during test drive i didnt brake once due to the awesome regen but on my way home i had to brake hard and feels like a there is a shudder in the steering wheel. Guess its the risks of buying a 6yo MS. However im over the moon with it. Looks like last 30 miles of b roads used 320 kwhper mile? Is that ok?

• Love
Reactions: Akikiki
Thats awful. But if you meant 320 Wh/per mile :oops: then, if you were making reasonable pace, I would say is probably not bad for this time of year. Our M3 LR this time last year was averaging around 290Wh/mile at steady motorway speeds.

I'd say 320 is very good for an older model S this time of year. The average on mine over the last 6,000 miles is 340 so I'd say you were doing well. The model 3 averages tend to be about 1/3rd lower than the MS as I think the 3's are a much more efficient car.

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds