Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner, don't understand the lack of album art on the USB reader

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. Fairly new Model Y owner, and my first post. I am absolutely befuddled by the USB audio. I use a Scandisk drive, formatted in exfat, with Flac files, as I have for years with multitudes of other cars. Two things I notice right away is that there does not seem to be any support for album art, even though it's imbedded in each file. Second, the USB player also does not seem to support continuous playback. In other words, as songs originally might flow from one right to the next, with no interruption, this USB drive places an artificial pause between tracks...monstrously annoying on live albums, or on Pink Floyd albums, just to name a couple. I've done a bit of reading about formatting in Fat32, so I tried that too...no different. So, what gives? My 15 year old BMW USB drive plays things perfectly. My Mini, as well. Heck, even my 10 year old Jensen aftermarket head unit plays USB perfectly, with art. Personally, I could use a little less "Asteroids" at a rest stop, and a little more sophistication in the USB player.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a special handshake I don't know? Is it because I still have some other gas powered cars? LOL

On a side note, does anyone have the Light Harmonic drop in speaker replacement package? My experience in the past with Drop in speaker replacements is that they MIGHT be better quality, but without changing the amplifiers as well, the gains through this route are marginal, and often come at the expense of sensitivity and overall volume. Anyone absolutely think they made a world of difference?

Thanks in advance

Hello. Fairly new Model Y owner, and my first post. I am absolutely befuddled by the USB audio. I use a Scandisk drive, formatted in exfat, with Flac files, as I have for years with multitudes of other cars. Two things I notice right away is that there does not seem to be any support for album art, even though it's imbedded in each file. Second, the USB player also does not seem to support continuous playback. In other words, as songs originally might flow from one right to the next, with no interruption, this USB drive places an artificial pause between tracks...monstrously annoying on live albums, or on Pink Floyd albums, just to name a couple. I've done a bit of reading about formatting in Fat32, so I tried that too...no different. So, what gives? My 15 year old BMW USB drive plays things perfectly. My Mini, as well. Heck, even my 10 year old Jensen aftermarket head unit plays USB perfectly, with art. Personally, I could use a little less "Asteroids" at a rest stop, and a little more sophistication in the USB player.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a special handshake I don't know? Is it because I still have some other gas powered cars? LOL

On a side note, does anyone have the Light Harmonic drop in speaker replacement package? My experience in the past with Drop in speaker replacements is that they MIGHT be better quality, but without changing the amplifiers as well, the gains through this route are marginal, and often come at the expense of sensitivity and overall volume. Anyone absolutely think they made a world of difference?

Thanks in advance
This has been a big disappointment for me since an update last year removed album art, it does not seem to be important to the powers that be or they do not know what they are doing. Should be easy, they can have all the stupid games, sounds and stuff I could care less about but no album art. The big problem with the current system is it is dangerous to be driving and try to find an album or song, instead of one tap you need at least three to find a new album, artists or song.

OK. So it's not just me... Lol. Not sure why one poster referenced the owners manual. The information in it is not correct. My device, formatted in ExFat, plays everything EXACTLY the same as my drive formatted in Fat32, only much much faster...

OK. So it's not just me... Lol. Not sure why one poster referenced the owners manual. The information in it is not correct. My device, formatted in ExFat, plays everything EXACTLY the same as my drive formatted in Fat32, only much much faster...
The Owner's Manual stated that the Media Player supports playlists. Are you able to use the playlist feature?

For a second there, I thought you meant the Interceptor and was shocked that they might be making them again

...then I read "aftermarket head unit" :)
No, sorry, I meant my 10 year old cheap-ass head unit that plays USB files perfectly.... Unlike my massively expensive rolling tech extravaganza called a Tesla. Lots of "features", very little that's actually useful. ASTEROIDS, really? FART sounds, really? How about a fuly functional USB player, how about blind spot warnings that AREN'T just a color change on a display you shouldn't be looking at while changing lanes.

I was curious about the Tesla Media player so I installed a small USB 3.0 hub. This one:
Amazon.com: BYEASY USB Hub, 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub, Ultra Slim Portable Data Hub Applicable for iMac Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini/Pro, Surface Pro, Notebook PC, Laptop, USB Flash Drives, and Mobile HDD (Leather Black) : Electronics

I decided to install a USB 3.0 hub as there is only one USB 3.0 data port on my 2020 Model Y (the USB 3.0 data port on my 2020 Model Y is located underneath the wireless charging pad, not inside the glove box as in the later Model Y vehicles with the updated center console.)

First, I turned off Sentry Mode and removed the Sandisk USB adapter with microSD card that I have using without issue for more than 1 year. I inserted the BYEASY hub and then inserted the Sandisk USB adapter w/micro SD card into the hub. I wanted to be able to play music using a USB thumb drive that I have had for years that has a small music collection. I skipped a port on the USB hub to have room for the thumb drive and inserted the drive. I believe the thumb drive is also by Sandisk, it is old and probably has a capacity of either 32GB or 64GB. I believe the thumb drive is formatted for FAT32. The folder organization on the thumb drive is Drive: /Documents/Music/(My Music Collection Folder)

I selected USB as the media source. The Tesla Media Player was immediately able to open the folder and sub folders to find the music selections on the thumb drive. The Tesla Media Player correctly displayed the Songs, Artists, Albums, Genre and Favorites. I was able to add and remove songs from the list of Favorites although the list of Favorites did not update immediately after I made changes. The list of Favorites may not be refreshed until the next time the drive is opened. The Tesla Media Player did automatically play the next song as one finished. The progression from one song to the next was not seamless playback but the break between songs was not distracting.

I turned Sentry Mode ON and confirmed that the Tesla Dashcam/Sentry Mode Viewer is still able to retrieve and play saved recordings on the Sandisk USB adapter w/microSD card.

Next, I may try formatting a different thumb drive using exFAT to see if the Tesla Media Player is able to read the files on the drive.

Last edited:
I was curious about the Tesla Media player so I installed a small USB 3.0 hub. This one:
Amazon.com: BYEASY USB Hub, 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub, Ultra Slim Portable Data Hub Applicable for iMac Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini/Pro, Surface Pro, Notebook PC, Laptop, USB Flash Drives, and Mobile HDD (Leather Black) : Electronics

I decided to install a USB 3.0 hub as there is only one USB 3.0 data port on my 2020 Model Y (the USB 3.0 data port on my 2020 Model Y is located underneath the wireless charging pad, not inside the glove box as in the later Model Y vehicles with the updated center console.)

First, I turned off Sentry Mode and removed the Sandisk USB adapter with microSD card that I have using without issue for more than 1 year. I inserted the BYEASY hub and then inserted the Sandisk USB adapter w/micro SD card into the hub. I wanted to be able to play music using a USB thumb drive that I have had for years that has a small music collection. I skipped a port on the USB hub to have room for the thumb drive and inserted the drive. I believe the thumb drive is also by Sandisk, it is old and probably has a capacity of either 32GB or 64GB. I believe the thumb drive is formatted for FAT32. The folder organization on the thumb drive is Drive: /Documents/Music/(My Music Collection Folder)

I selected USB as the media source. The Tesla Media Player was immediately able to open the folder and sub folders to find the music selections on the thumb drive. The Tesla Media Player correctly displayed the Songs, Artists, Albums, Genre and Favorites. I was able to add and remove songs from the list of Favorites although the list of Favorites did not update immediately after I made changes. The list of Favorites may not be refreshed until the next time the drive is opened. The Tesla Media Player did automatically play the next song as one finished. The progression from one song to the next was not seamless playback but the break between songs was not distracting.

I turned Sentry Mode ON and confirmed that the Tesla Dashcam/Sentry Mode Viewer is still able to retrieve and play saved recordings on the Sandisk USB adapter w/microSD card.

Next, I may try formatting a different thumb drive using exFAT to see if the Tesla Media Player is able to read the files on the drive.
I'm not sure I understand...yes...the USB drive plays songs. Yes it inserts breaks where they don't belong between tracks. We already knew that. Did you get album art to display through the thumb drive? And to say that the gaps are "not distracting"...all I can say is....Really? I can't stand listening to something like Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon in the Tesla. The gaps are ENORMOUSLY annoying, kind of like watching William Shatner act. The original point of this post was not that the USB player doesn't work at all...just that it works like crap, and not at all on par with even cheap head units today.

"USB files" 😆😅😂🤣

No, sorry, I meant my 10 year old cheap-ass head unit that plays USB files perfectly.... Unlike my massively expensive rolling tech extravaganza called a Tesla. Lots of "features", very little that's actually useful. ASTEROIDS, really? FART sounds, really? How about a fuly functional USB player, how about blind spot warnings that AREN'T just a color change on a display you shouldn't be looking at while changing lanes.

I've been putting music and the odd podcast on my iPhone and streaming it to my car.

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure I understand...yes...the USB drive plays songs. Yes it inserts breaks where they don't belong between tracks. We already knew that. Did you get album art to display through the thumb drive? And to say that the gaps are "not distracting"...all I can say is....Really? I can't stand listening to something like Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon in the Tesla. The gaps are ENORMOUSLY annoying, kind of like watching William Shatner act. The original point of this post was not that the USB player doesn't work at all...just that it works like crap, and not at all on par with even cheap head units today.
My post is unrelated with your post. I apologize for any confusion. I was looking for an existing thread re: USB music so I did not unnecessarily create a new thread. I did not comment on album art because my music collection does not contain album art. I have not listened to DSOM on USB so I have no opinion on the gaps being enormous or otherwise when listening to Pink Floyd's DSOM. (In case you are interested, I was/am listening to my Bob Dylan Mono collection in MP3.)

My post is just an account of being able to install a small, inexpensive USB 3.0 hub and being able to listen to USB files while having a separate dedicated device for my Dashcam and Sentry Mode recordings. Perhaps someone with an older Model 3 or a Model Y with pre-refresh center console will read my post and decide to install a USB hub so they too can listen to their collection of music files on a USB storage device.

again...I'm not sure I understand the comment. "old tech", as you call it is demonstrably superior sounding to "new" tech, like listening through bluetooth. I listen to Flac and WAV files, no compression, no loss, etc. You are, perhaps, part of the generation for which Apple completely ruined music. They trained you into believing the 256k downloads sound good. So, if using a 1T solid state SSD to play Flac files is "old tech", then I'll happily use "Old tech". If simply wanting the USB player in a $60,000 car to at least play as well as the USB player in my 15 year Honda Accord is being a Carmudgeon, I can handle that "insult" as well. If, to your ear, Bluetooth streaming sounds good, then great for you. But for most audiophiles, streaming of any sort, unless your streaming Hi-Res Audio Files, is a very large compromise and sacrifice.

I am in frustrated agreement with the limitations of the USB player and am befuddled why it hasn’t been fixed…

the only saving grace for the system (and why I haven’t resorted to streaming) is that when playing 320 .m4a files, the music just sounds soooo goooood!!

far better than streaming, so I’ve just accepted the faults :(

(and for those who ask, my ears actually can’t hear fidelity above maxed out mp4 that to justify flac or lossless…maybe just me. 2500 all-time favorite songs and counting.

To get album art I was streaming hi-res music files through Tidal. That worked, right up until this evening, when I was informed by Tesla that they are throttling my premium internet due to high data usage. The downside to Hi-res streaming, of course. Those of you who can't hear the difference between lossless audio formats and lossy formats, such as 320 mp4's, are extremely lucky. Unfortunately, I can easily discern the differences.

I have a theory about losing the album art through USB. I bet when they support it, they lose premium internet subscribers. I'll bet it's not a glitch or bug at all.

I am in frustrated agreement with the limitations of the USB player and am befuddled why it hasn’t been fixed…

the only saving grace for the system (and why I haven’t resorted to streaming) is that when playing 320 .m4a files, the music just sounds soooo goooood!!

far better than streaming, so I’ve just accepted the faults :(

(and for those who ask, my ears actually can’t hear fidelity above maxed out mp4 that to justify flac or lossless…maybe just me. 2500 all-time favorite songs and counting.

Still waiting on my MYLR but I believed you just confirmed that AAC (M4A) files play fine? I've been researching and finding mixed information. What about ALAF (M4A) format? I've switched to ripping new music in FLAC but don't want to re-rip the entire library, most of which is in Apple AAC (M4A) format.

I'm kind of surprised people care about album art. One potential issue with album art, though I don't know if this has anything to do with it, is it can't easily be controlled. We had one song that would bring up album art with an exposed boob on it, and I have to wonder if this kind of thing makes manufacturers reconsider whether or not they want to display unvetted album art in their apps.