Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner Early Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my S in Manhasset NY on Thursday morning. I had all day to play around but have been working since then. Basically it's been parked for most of the last 2 days.

1) Delivery Day: Simple paperwork to sign it took about 15 minutes at the store
In contrast I had a Lexus lease in May and I signed so many forms and legal mumbo-jumbo I took home a 6 inch thick folder. Add to that 4 hours of haggling, $1000 for "lease insurance" and ........you get the idea :(
DS in Manhasset NY Steve was great, informative and patient with my newbie questions. No swag but I did ask about it. He told me to come back Monday and he would put together a bag of goodies. :) No gift items at this location.
2) Impressions of the car:
Early opinion: Best car I have ever owned but I will try not to give a fandom review.
NO issues at pick-up and I used the checklist to go over the car closely
The standard radio....eh it's OK but not great
The wifi seems weak. My phones wifi is strong in my driveway but the cars reception is very weak. Maybe get a wifi extender?
Of course the S takes a little getting used to driving with the regen and all but that will come in time.
Quiet, oh sooooo quiet :) Smooth ride,cuts corners, quick etc.... but you guys have heard all that before.
I considered the summon as gimmicky and I would not really use it other than to show it off. But I realized a use of it for me in the first day. Went out to lunch, parked in the lot of a restaurant (far away of course) and pushed the front end a little over the line of the stall. Used summon to back up a couple of feet. Cool!
Gave several rides to family/friends and showed off the torque/quickness, AP (everyone asks about AP)
It is really hard not to hit the accelerator hard :) I find myself doing this often :)
I was stalked by an older couple who followed me until I stopped to ask me questions :)
The phone app. actually works! As it should. My Lexus app. is very finicky and often cannot find the car.
Don't get me started on the Lexus "Lane assist" :)
I could not be happier, face muscles are hurting :) I was nervous about getting a car that would need to go right back to the service center. No need and I'm sure this is the norm.
All in all one great car and I am looking forward to next week when I take it upstate and put it thru some mountain paces :)

The wifi seems weak. My phones wifi is strong in my driveway but the cars reception is very weak. Maybe get a wifi extender?
I considered the summon as gimmicky and I would not really use it other than to show it off. But I realized a use of it for me in the first day. Went out to lunch, parked in the lot of a restaurant (far away of course) and pushed the front end a little over the line of the stall. Used summon to back up a couple of feet. Cool!

Congratulations!

My wifi is moderately flaky outside of my house (curse you, old world construction!) so I got a wifi extender to plug into the outlet by the side door. It works alright. The signal is still pretty weak for me but the car actually connects now (at about 2-3 bars). I had a heck of a time getting the car to connect the first time (a long, complicated, WPA2 password didn't help) but once it connected all was well.

I thought summon would be just a gimmick, too, but as it turns out I use it twice daily; once to back the car out of my garage (after lifting the door and unplugging) and once to pull the car back in (subsequently plugging in and closing the door).

Enjoy the car, at 1.5yrs my Tesla Grins haven't stopped :D

Reactions: Chopr147
I have great WiFi reception in my garage, but even with how powered my WiFi routers are... I lose the signal shortly after pulling out of the garage.

I rarely use Summon, but will say when I was across the street talking to the neighbor and he indicated an interest in the car... it was pretty awesome to be able to whip the phone out, open the garage, and drive the car out of the garage from my phone to show the neighbor. Also he and his wife's reactions were priceless.

Agree with you @Chopr147 the regen braking is going to take some getting used to as slows down faster than coasting did... so need to start "coasting" later when I have vehicles behind me or they are going to get annoyed when I slow to a crawl so far from the stoplight/sign.

I actually drove up a few miles into the foothills of the Sierra (right outside of Chico) today... to get to see how amazing the car handles on curvy roads. Also, passing vehicles is a dream... I've missed having this much power in a car. Accidentally exceeded 100MPH with how fast it accelerates when I was passing a car on the way back down out of the foothills.

I have great WiFi reception in my garage, but even with how powered my WiFi routers are... I lose the signal shortly after pulling out of the garage.

I rarely use Summon, but will say when I was across the street talking to the neighbor and he indicated an interest in the car... it was pretty awesome to be able to whip the phone out, open the garage, and drive the car out of the garage from my phone to show the neighbor. Also he and his wife's reactions were priceless.

Agree with you @Chopr147 the regen braking is going to take some getting used to as slows down faster than coasting did... so need to start "coasting" later when I have vehicles behind me or they are going to get annoyed when I slow to a crawl so far from the stoplight/sign.

I actually drove up a few miles into the foothills of the Sierra (right outside of Chico) today... to get to see how amazing the car handles on curvy roads. Also, passing vehicles is a dream... I've missed having this much power in a car. Accidentally exceeded 100MPH with how fast it accelerates when I was passing a car on the way back down out of the foothills.

For coasting, I've developed an unconscious ability to modulate my accelerator foot pressure. When I'm coming up on, for example, the exit for my street I lift my foot up some to coast. In the past, I would have pulled my foot completely off the pedal and (gear braking in a shift aside) the car would coast slowly losing momentum.

While I don't recommend the following in practice, the energy graph (Nerf'd though it is) will show when you are neither drawing nor regenerating power. For some margin of error, this is what my modulation hopes to achieve. It definitely didn't come on right away; there were many a stoplight where I was down at 5mph a good long way before I had intended to be, but over time the car molded me a bit.

It's downright hilarious to see me behind the wheel of an ICE now.

Congrats to the newbies! I love reading the first impressions. Brings me back.

After two years, I can honestly say that it just gets better. I LOVE!!! my car. I can't imagine owning anything else. And after having all this time to get to know my girl, it's even more fun. Just wait until you know exactly how she will handle in all situations. Takes some time. When that happened, I instantly got a more personal relationship with my car. Make sense?

The best way that I can describe a Model S is to say that she is both a serene limousine and an electron-fire breathing monster, depending upon her mood.

Hmmm...Sounds familiar.

Congrats guys. I wish you many, many miles of joy.

...Still in love after all these miles...

The immediate torque is amazing. I come from an M5, which is an amazing car, but the power isn't nearly as useable in the M5 as it is in the Tesla. Press the accelerator and poof the Tesla just goes. I can't get summon to work via key fob, bit it does work from the app. It is kinda gimmicky, though I think autopilot is too but that's just me. I don't like how autopilot goes for a set speed, I see car brake lights in front and my car keeps accelerating...I'm like stop!!!! I'm pretty confident it won't hit the car in front, but not as certain the car behind will be as quick.

My wife keeps asking what I'm going to do with my spare time as I used to stop for gas every other day.

All in all I love the car and can't wipe the grin from my face. Now I just need to remove the front plate holder and the rear badges.

Reactions: CHG-ON and Chopr147
Picked up my car exactly 12 hours ago. What can I say but WOW. Pretty much everything OP said I agree with. I haven't tried the summons yet, that will be tomorrow....

The only slightly negative thing so far was that Wife & I weren't impressed with guy who was going over the features. It wasn't my DS, who was busy at a time. I knew more about the features from reading TMC then he did. He was very friendly and nice, but just was not very good at explaining things. My wife had questions that he struggled with and I had to intervene :). But anyway, after that we left, all that was forgotten as soon as I pressed on the accelerator pedal.... Oh my, what great ride. I just love it already, and it has not been 24 hours yet...

The challenge will be getting wife to be comfortable driving it...

Reactions: Chopr147
I know. She is definitely apprehensive, and is not yet ready to try. And the funny thing is, that it's replacing her daily driver that we returned at end of lease. Not sure how I manage to pull that off :). (The other car is a SUV we use for trips. She probably will drive that for a while.)
I have had the S for 4 days now and my wife has not yet driven it. Fine with me, she loves her Lexus and I want to keep it that way. I do not want her falling in love with MY car :)
CHG-ON hits the nail on the head with his description: " she is both a serene limousine and an electron-fire breathing monster"
I am hating the pine tree over my driveway even more now. It's either cut that tree down or clean out the garage! Car is a mess this morning after rain and winds yesterday :( I may have to rinse "the Pope" every day!
Going back to the Tesla store today. DS has some swag for me :)

Reactions: Ormond
60/60D is a great bang for the buck now that they are really 75 batteries in there. You can charge to 100% daily and it's really only like an 80% charge. Plus, the charge speed doesn't taper down nearly as much as an actual 60 pack does.
Supercharged for the first time today. The upper charge time was still very fast, I was surprised but maybe I shouldn't be.

Reactions: javawolfpack