Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner - Gen 3 Wall Connector features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, brand new M3 SR+ owner here. I'm currently using the Mobile Connector to charge at home. I have a dedicated circuit with a 40A breaker and a NEMA 14-50 outlet, with the corresponding MC pigtail. Help me understand the features that come with installing a Gen 3 Wall Connector, compared to the MC. First thing I want to do is program the charger to start charging after I go to bed - say midnight or so. I'm assuming the WC will let me do that via the app? What about compared to some of the other chargers out there, like the Clipper Creek or Juicebox? TIA.

You don't need a wall connector to get scheduled charging... that's controlled in the car, or via the app(which tells the car, not the wall connector). You can do the same with Clipper Creek or Juicebox, most likely. One of those might even be able to strictly control when power is available to the car, moreso than the wall connector.

Hey guys, brand new M3 SR+ owner here. I'm currently using the Mobile Connector to charge at home. I have a dedicated circuit with a 40A breaker and a NEMA 14-50 outlet, with the corresponding MC pigtail. Help me understand the features that come with installing a Gen 3 Wall Connector, compared to the MC. First thing I want to do is program the charger to start charging after I go to bed - say midnight or so. I'm assuming the WC will let me do that via the app? What about compared to some of the other chargers out there, like the Clipper Creek or Juicebox? TIA.

Features:
1) Additional outdoor weatherproofing
2) Asthetics of appearance and mounting to the wall
3) Ability to charge at 48A if your car supports it (vs 40A on 15-50). 60A breaker size
4) Power sharing features, in future

In your case, it sounds like only #2 aesthetics is applicable. Your car may support it, but your 40A wire has less power.

Thanks, guys. The onboard charger on the SR+ is only 7.7 kW, so the 40 amp circuit is the max my car can take anyway. I haven't been able to find how to program the charging schedule through the app, so I guess just programming the car from the touchscreen may be the easiest thing to do.

Maybe I'll just buy a second mobile connector to keep in the car - it's about half the price. :)

Reactions: user212_nr
Hi,
Tesla sent me an email pointing me to: Electric Vehicle & Solar Incentives.
I'm not a tax guy (I mean I do pay them but I don't work in that field).

Does this mean the Gen 3 Wall Connector would be eligible for a tax credit? Sorry if this has been covered before.
Charging
Customers who purchase qualified residential charging equipment between January 1, 2018 and December 31, 2020 may receive a tax credit of up to $1,000.

If true, it might make sense to get one. Essentially free if your federal tax is more than $500.

Hi,
Tesla sent me an email pointing me to: Electric Vehicle & Solar Incentives.
I'm not a tax guy (I mean I do pay them but I don't work in that field).

Does this mean the Gen 3 Wall Connector would be eligible for a tax credit? Sorry if this has been covered before.
Charging
Customers who purchase qualified residential charging equipment between January 1, 2018 and December 31, 2020 may receive a tax credit of up to $1,000.

If true, it might make sense to get one. Essentially free if your federal tax is more than $500.

See form 8911. Personal use credit is only 30% of the cost, up to $1000..... and I quote from the instructions...

For property of a character subject to an allowance for depreciation (business/investment use property), the credit for all property placed in service at each location is generally the smaller of 30% of the property’s cost or $30,000. For property of a character not subject to an allowance for depreciation placed in service at your main home (personal use property), the credit for all property placed in service at your main home is generally the smaller of 30% of the property’s cost or $1,000.

Thanks, guys. The onboard charger on the SR+ is only 7.7 kW, so the 40 amp circuit is the max my car can take anyway. I haven't been able to find how to program the charging schedule through the app, so I guess just programming the car from the touchscreen may be the easiest thing to do.

Maybe I'll just buy a second mobile connector to keep in the car - it's about half the price. :)

Ya... it looks like the official Tesla app doesn't support scheduling. There are two others that will do it, to greater or lesser degrees.

For Android phones, I use "Dashboard for Tesla", which allows for scheduling start time, end time, HVAC and all sorts of other stuff, even auto-start of charging so that it'll be DONE charging at a given time. Note that aside from >maybe< the scheduled start time, the phone is actively involved in the controls. If it is turned off, you won't get any of its functionality.

For Iphones, I understand there's an app called Stats that might do many of these same functions. I am unfamiliar with iphone.

I have had a Tesla since 2012 and have never needed a 2nd mobile charger in the car... just use the super charger network!

Ya... it looks like the official Tesla app doesn't support scheduling. There are two others that will do it, to greater or lesser degrees.

For Android phones, I use "Dashboard for Tesla", which allows for scheduling start time, end time, HVAC and all sorts of other stuff, even auto-start of charging so that it'll be DONE charging at a given time. Note that aside from >maybe< the scheduled start time, the phone is actively involved in the controls. If it is turned off, you won't get any of its functionality.

For Iphones, I understand there's an app called Stats that might do many of these same functions. I am unfamiliar with iphone.
Scheduling is done in the car, not the app. Once you have a schedule you can stop and start from the app if you need to override the schedule.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H