Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner greeting + Tire/wheel help (again, I'm sorry!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys!
Just got my impulse purchase of 12/31 discounted 2023 M3P completed on Thursday and I'm thrilled to say I am finaaally a Tesla owner after having canceled my M3 pre-order years ago :) I was so crazed to see a car become available that I just bought it without thinking things through lol.

few initial opinions (along with my topic of conversation):
this thing is FAAAST. but in hind sight i'd probably just get the LR. really didn't need that 3 second speed haha. range takes a massive hit when accelerating fast... no doubt gas cars also take a hit, i wonder what the comparison is? i feel like i'm going to develop a lead foot and have to charge every day...
Touch/voice everything is going to take some time to get used to.
super annoyed at the "summer" tires fitment for vehicles sold Chicago winters... like seriously?

ok so back to my last point. summer tires... SMH
I read through all the forum posts, comments, etc. it seems my best option is to buy a smaller wheel/tire combo, incredibly annoying. I am still confused however, at how to pick the right wheel/tires... i can get from Tesla direct, and I can get from T-Sportline. seems like these are the 'guaranteed' options, but at over 3k+, out of my budget unless there's no other choice.

from what i've gathered, 18x8.5 inch wheels MIGHT fit, but it's tight and no real way for me to know based on the basic specs listed. is this true? is there a way to "guarantee" a fit? do we have a list of successful installs on this forum somewhere?

19 inch wheels - will these fit 99.9%? i'm considering 19x8.5 if they are a guaranteed fit. what offset/ET is ideal for 19 inch?

worst case scenario, i'll just buy All Season tires for my 20 Uberturbines. going suggestion for this seems to be 245 35 20.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Your cheapest option, initially, is likely new tires on the Uberturbines. But then when those get trashed from potholes (if Chicago roads are anything like Boston area roads), go and spend the $3k for 18" or 19" wheels and tires from T-Sportline. They will fit without any spacers, hub centering rings, or issues.

Reactions: TimTam
Apparently, the 18” aero wheels can be made to fit with the Brembo calipers ( Will 18" Aero wheel fit a car with Performance big brakes? ) using double sided tape and some wet/dry sandpaper. Me personally, I’d get a good set of snows on 18” wheels ASAP if I were you. If any of the aftermarket wheels will accept aero covers, that can tremendously increase your range on road trips (as a former M3SR+ and current M3LR owner, I sold my 19” wheels along with the M3SR+ and kept the 18” wheels with my snows). The thing about 18” wheels is, they’re universally lighter (and tires universally cheaper) than 19” or 20” wheels.

I live across the lake in Michigan and I wouldn’t dream of running 20” summer tires on an M3P in Chicago in winter. I have a set of 18” wheels with 260 tread wear Yokohamas for summer, an 18” set for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliita snows, and a Harbor Freight jack that I use to change them in May and November. Highly recommend this setup (stock or aftermarket) for Midwest weather. You may consider adding a skid plate in the front to deal with ice chunks.

The M3P is a great car, I doubt you will regret picking it up. You can always set acceleration to “chill” if you get tired of neck-snapping torque off the line…

Last edited:
Thanks guys really appreciate the quick tips!

I definitely will not be driving this car in cold weather until tires are swapped (probably risky already) but so far been lucky with unseasonable warmth haha.

@NoDrama, perfect name! That's exactly what I want in wheels lol. Buuuut, maybe a little bit of drama is okay? T sportline is clearly the hassle free way to go, but at those prices there is sooo much variety.

@Tim which 18 wheels do you use?

I definitely will not be driving this car in cold weather until tires are swapped (probably risky already) but so far been lucky with unseasonable warmth haha.

@NoDrama, perfect name! That's exactly what I want in wheels lol. Buuuut, maybe a little bit of drama is okay? T sportline is clearly the hassle free way to go, but at those prices there is sooo much variety.

Sorry also, are there any other known brands that fit smoothly similar to t sportline?

Tons of wheels fit easily. You do not need "custom" Tesla wheels. Mustang wheels fit Model 3's.
Anything Tire Rack says will fit will fit.
You can find nice flow formed wheels for about $200-$250 each that fit great.
There is a HUGE thread here:

Find some 114.3 x 5, 30-40mm offset wheels that you like and then ask there if they will fit.

Reactions: TimTam

Just the standard Aeros that came with my M3LR and (previously) M3SR+. The M3SR+ situation was unusual, I ordered a blue one with 19” wheels, but when I went to pick it up on a Saturday, the VIN that had matched was throwing errors. So the sales lady offered either wrong color, right wheels, or right color, ship the wheels a few months later. In the end I not only got the 19” wheels for free, I ended up selling them with the M3SR+ since the Aeros are so much more efficient and I needed two sets anyhow.

If I hadn’t been in this odd situation I might have got some nice forged 18” wheels on the aftermarket. But truthfully I like having the option to run Uberturbine-lookalike aftermarket aero covers and get close to 360 miles of range. The big difference between the stock 18” wheels and the 19” sport wheels is that the latter come with far superior tires. When I swapped the Primacy MXM4s off the M3LR 18s and put Yokohama Advan Apex 18” summer tires on instead, it was like driving a different car. That was only $800 total, so I never got around to shopping for aftermarket wheels. OEM Aeros with Bluetooth TPMS sensors are surprisingly expensive; it might be close to a wash just to get aftermarket forged 18” wheels, and they’ll be a lot stronger.

Reactions: tm1v2
Man lots of good info thanks all. Tpms by itself is so expensive, didn't even consider that into the equation!

I think what I've decided at least for now, mainly for cost saving is to get "all season" wheel/tire combo, and then sell off the 20 inch uberturbines. Hoping it'll be close to a wash. I'll deal with switching to summer/winter combo down the road If I really want it.

Wheel plan:

Konig rennform 19x8.5
Or 18x9

Will both be simple "plug n play"? No need for spacers etc? All the specs seem to match up.

Sorry for multiple replies but I can't seem to "edit" yet.

Would 18x8 wheels work? Looks like the Rennform linked above has an 18x8 with et45. No idea about how that extra +10 plays with the .5inch smaller width

Edit:. Just to say I figured out how to edit... 😂

Last edited:
Personally, I don't understand the preference for 18" wheels on a performance car this size. IMHO, the 18s look like training wheels or the wheels on mid-sixties Impala low riders. The absolute smallest wheel that looks "right" for these cars is 19". There are even 20" wheels in the 19 pound range, in contrast to the 32 pound Uberturbine. Thirteen pounds of unsprung weight per corner. That's significant. I'm an old guy, but I think the 20s look best. Just sayin'. Of course, I don't even know WTF I'm talking about because my 2022 Deep Blue Metallic M3P hasn't even been delivered to me yet! 🤣

Thirteen pounds of unsprung weight per corner. That's significant.
Gonna need a source on 19lb or 20" wheels. The only ones I can find are carbon fiber, and thus $5K per wheel or more.

The impact of 10lbs per wheel is hotly debated around here. The math doesn't show more than about 1% increase (.03 seconds off 0-60).

Personally, I don't understand the preference for 18" wheels on a performance car this size. IMHO, the 18s look like training wheels or the wheels on mid-sixties Impala low riders. The absolute smallest wheel that looks "right" for these cars is 19". There are even 20" wheels in the 19 pound range, in contrast to the 32 pound Uberturbine. Thirteen pounds of unsprung weight per corner. That's significant. I'm an old guy, but I think the 20s look best. Just sayin'. Of course, I don't even know WTF I'm talking about because my 2022 Deep Blue Metallic M3P hasn't even been delivered to me yet! 🤣

I'm still debating the long term planning, only have had my car for a week. I will say though that driving a large variety of vehicles from small sports cars to large pick up trucks in Chicago (pot holes, crappy weather, etc etc) - that my biggest motivation for the 18-19x8.0-8.5 tires is flexibility in replacement as well as better safety, durability, comfort, traction.
I don't care how good these factory 20 inch wheels look, if I'm going to be paranoid about bouncing around, getting a flat or loss of traction in random bad weather every single time I drive. Peace of mind is worth it's weight in gold.

In other news! I found some "advanti" wheels that were on clearance for "no return" 550 bucks. Decided to gamble at that price. 18x8 wheels... Really nervous they're not going to fit, but we shall see.

If anyone had experience with 18x8s being a problem pls let me know while I still have time to cancel the order!

edit:. Oh I see now. You're from Cali 🙄. I'd rock 20 inch wheels my entire life too! 😂

Last edited:
If you post which actual wheels these are, someone could help you- but 18x8 is not enough to evaluate if they will fit.

Here ya go! Just the details since Last time I posted a direct link it took forever to get published (dunno if it even worked)
Edit:. Posting the same info in the wheel discussion thread as well from above (thanks for the link!)

Advanti Cammino
CO8851435G
CAMMINO 18×8
5×114.3
35 - offset
MATTE GREY MACHINE
FLOW FORMED – DST
1521 max load
73.1 bore

Here ya go! Just the details since Last time I posted a direct link it took forever to get published (dunno if it even worked)
Edit:. Posting the same info in the wheel discussion thread as well from above (thanks for the link!)

Advanti Cammino
CO8851435G
CAMMINO 18×8
5×114.3
35 - offset
MATTE GREY MACHINE
FLOW FORMED – DST
1521 max load
73.1 bore

Ok officially purchased Konig Ultraform 18x8.5. got the hub ring from Model+.

Once everything arrives, fingers crossed it fits and I can finally driiiive. Lemme know pls if I need anything else other than the 73.1mm hub ring adapter thing