Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner has stupid question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried searching a bit about this but couldn’t really find anything that answered my questions.

We just took delivery last week of our new (leftover) 2019 MX Standard Range Raven. While we were waiting for delivery we were hoping we would score a software locked BTX6 but no such luck, got a BTX5 car.

Since this is such a rare configuration anyway I though I would ask if it’s normal to max out at 115-125KW while supercharging and taper hard between 30-40%?
I noticed the cooler the handle is the higher the taper point (are blazing hot handles halfway through charge also normal?)

I have more questions obviously but will hold on those for a SR Raven (BTX5) roll call. :)

Interesting. Yeah. When charging from ~10% or so on V2 it tapers hard with hot handle low 30% to high 60’s and creeps back up to mid 70’s till you reach about 65% then starts to taper off again.

When I can I’ve moved stalls when I notice this happening and it’ll run back up to ~100KW and settle out around ~80 till the point it hits that second taper point. I also noticed this pack HATES being taken below 10% and slow charges back up to that point when plugging in.

Another stupid question: Is it normal for only ~60kWh to be usable off a full pack? I expected closer to mid-high 60’s accounting for buffer. Full charge is 255mi on the latest update or 230 at 90%.

When I can I’ve moved stalls when I notice this happening and it’ll run back up to ~100K
I’m sure your aware of V2 stall sharing ..ie A/B ..not sure when you moved you went to an unpaired stall where you get full power vs what you started with (ie were u sharing a A/B ) park Wuth someone else? On V3 this is not an issue as the SuC gets dedicated power ..I have gotten higher than 60kwH usage but that’s running it down low

I’m sure your aware of V2 stall sharing ..ie A/B ..not sure when you moved you went to an unpaired stall where you get full power vs what you started with (ie were u sharing a A/B ) park Wuth someone else? On V3 this is not an issue as the SuC gets dedicated power ..I have gotten higher than 60kwH usage but that’s running it down low
Only one other car on SC and was unpaired. :)
Also own a P3D so well aware of shared stall syndrome. :p

No V3 yet in TX AFAIK :(

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Btx5 max charge rate is 130kW when warm and it can keep this between 5-38% with this years software versions (was up to 43% last year). Based on the ’consumption’ screen the best you can ever get out of it is 66kWh, but for that you have to go slowly (55mph) and without stops.

Updates!

After doing plenty of exercising the battery down and back up, the new usable appears to be 67kWh. ABRP estimates the full pack capacity to be ~70kWh.

Range as expected is HEAVILY influenced by driving conditions/style and environment but seems to be averaging mid-high 300’s consumption rate (a lot of this has to do with average speeds.)

Last edited: