Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new owner here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy, I live in Boulder, CO, I just bought car #176 (2008) about eight weeks ago. Just under 13,000 miles. Wanted one for ten years. Fell into my lap. Then I had scheduled knee surgery! Six weeks later I can drive it again. So much fun. My 15 year old permit driver also drives it (occasionally). Other two younger kids beg me to drop and pick them up at school in it. :)

Already got my CAN and CAN Jr adapters from super nice Mr. Sharp back East. Couldn't have been nicer or more efficient. Had first service in Littleton last week, the big Tesla operation there loved seeing the Roadster roll in. 12 techs, only one rated on the Roadsters. They said my car looked good.

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I own this crazy jigsaw puzzle company in Boulder called Liberty Puzzles. Perhaps actual names are frowned upon? Screw it. I'm Chris Wirth. Cheers y'all. I look forward to learning more.

Congratulations on the car! +1 on photos...it's definitely a tradition.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't VIN 176 a Glacier Blue 1.5? However...last time it was for sale, it had 47,000+ miles. Maybe my records are incorrect? :(

IMG_2949.jpg
IMG_2950.jpg
IMG_2953.jpg

At first the Tesla dudes in Littleton said my VIN was wrong, 176 was in Europe. Then they said 176 was assigned to two different cars. I couldn't go check in the garage because I had no knee. Turns out I am 176, maybe there's one in Europe, I have no idea. Tesla Littleton was finally unconfused and seemed fine with it. My "service" took a week and everything worked out. Plus they gave me a Model S loaner for a week. That was fun too.

• Funny
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
At first the Tesla dudes in Littleton said my VIN was wrong, 176 was in Europe. Then they said 176 was assigned to two different cars. I couldn't go check in the garage because I had no knee. Turns out I am 176, maybe there's one in Europe, I have no idea. Tesla Littleton was finally unconfused and seemed fine with it. My "service" took a week and everything worked out. Plus they gave me a Model S loaner for a week. That was fun too.

That's bizarre! Either way, gorgeous car! Here's to many miles and Tesla-grins!

VIN 523 says hello!

Howdy, I live in Boulder, CO, I just bought car #176 (2008) about eight weeks ago. Just under 13,000 miles. Wanted one for ten years. Fell into my lap. Then I had scheduled knee surgery! Six weeks later I can drive it again. So much fun. My 15 year old permit driver also drives it (occasionally). Other two younger kids beg me to drop and pick them up at school in it. :)

Already got my CAN and CAN Jr adapters from super nice Mr. Sharp back East. Couldn't have been nicer or more efficient. Had first service in Littleton last week, the big Tesla operation there loved seeing the Roadster roll in. 12 techs, only one rated on the Roadsters. They said my car looked good.

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I own this crazy jigsaw puzzle company in Boulder called Liberty Puzzles. Perhaps actual names are frowned upon? Screw it. I'm Chris Wirth. Cheers y'all. I look forward to learning more.
==============
hi chris, i'm also chris and live in boulder and i'm an original roadster owner. happy to answer any questions or help out in any way i can. congrats on your purchase!

Reactions: Mark77a
Howdy, I live in Boulder, CO, I just bought car #176 (2008) about eight weeks ago.
Hi Chris, I own #265 and I'm in Arvada, about 20 minutes from Boulder. Holler if you ever want to meet up for a fun drive! I'm off Highway 93, near Highway 72 (Coal Creek Canyon) -- which is a pretty fun drive.

Another fun drive is the peak to peak highway from Nederland into Estes Park. Estes park has two rare 70A J1772 chargers at the library that are almost always open. There are also 3 destination chargers at Sweet Basilico Cafe in town that we can use the Can Sr at.

Enjoy!

Congrats! Looks great. VIN 407 in California says hello!

Regarding VINs, sequencing for US and EU both started counting at 1, but earlier digits in the VIN define the car's market (US, EU, RHD, etc.) Sounds like the service center was just typing the last 5 or 6 digits, which is what they do for Model S/X/3. Typing the full VIN into their system should identify your car and exclude #176 in Europe.

Enjoy the car!

Reactions: DanielFriederich
Thanks for all your responses. My car is super fun!! Yes, the hard top has been off since I could move around after knee surgery. I ripped around in it all day today with two kids to two soccer games.

I HAVE TWO MAJOR QUESTIONS

The first is, my electrician newly wired my garage for 220 for my wife's new Cayenne hybrid, and another 220 line for me to use. So I need a charging solution for my Roadster. Nothing came with the car, except the 110 and another short cable I don't know how to use. Any advice? Right now I'm exclusively 110.

Second, and more complicated, I drove my Roadster for my last post surgery meeting with the doc from Boulder to Frisco, knowing I wouldn't have enough charge to get home. Nearby Silverthorne has Tesla charger station, so after successful knee appointment I went there with my Can Sr. I think I screwed up order of operations and plugged in Can Sr to the charger before inserting into car. Car thought I was trying but not recognizing charge. Tesla guy in Salt Lake reported charger was operational but no charge forthcoming into car. Then I got an error on my touchscreen, which I have attached (or inserted).

upload_2018-9-15_21-28-44.jpeg

So I finally gave up, drove back up to Frisco to the Whole Foods, which has the standard J1772 adapter. For my CAN Jr. Again, no go. But, the error I caused might have affected the charging situation. Finally, I found a nearby hotel where I plugged in outside 110 for several hours. I was at 51 miles. My house was 80 miles away. Numerous times I got the same error message above, and it stopped charging. Finally got it up to 65 miles, after about four hours, and made a break for it. For those of you familiar with Colorado, most of my trip back was downhill. Steep. I drove judiciously, charging on the fly when I could, and made it home with 12 miles left. Stressful. Feeling like an idiot with slow trucks passing me while I'm trying to regenerate.

Whew! Tesla help center dudes had no idea what that error message is.

Let me also say, I am quite sure I am the one who screwed up the charging, Henry Sharp has been nothing but a gentleman on every interaction I've ever had with him. And he called me back the next day, but we did not speak (yet). I just wanted to throw this entire experience out there to see what experiences others have had.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I just love the car. So do my kids. Dad, can you drop me at school in the Tesla?

Thanks for all your responses. My car is super fun!! Yes, the hard top has been off since I could move around after knee surgery. I ripped around in it all day today with two kids to two soccer games.

I HAVE TWO MAJOR QUESTIONS

The first is, my electrician newly wired my garage for 220 for my wife's new Cayenne hybrid, and another 220 line for me to use. So I need a charging solution for my Roadster. Nothing came with the car, except the 110 and another short cable I don't know how to use. Any advice? Right now I'm exclusively 110.

Second, and more complicated, I drove my Roadster for my last post surgery meeting with the doc from Boulder to Frisco, knowing I wouldn't have enough charge to get home. Nearby Silverthorne has Tesla charger station, so after successful knee appointment I went there with my Can Sr. I think I screwed up order of operations and plugged in Can Sr to the charger before inserting into car. Car thought I was trying but not recognizing charge. Tesla guy in Salt Lake reported charger was operational but no charge forthcoming into car. Then I got an error on my touchscreen, which I have attached (or inserted).

View attachment 335356

So I finally gave up, drove back up to Frisco to the Whole Foods, which has the standard J1772 adapter. For my CAN Jr. Again, no go. But, the error I caused might have affected the charging situation. Finally, I found a nearby hotel where I plugged in outside 110 for several hours. I was at 51 miles. My house was 80 miles away. Numerous times I got the same error message above, and it stopped charging. Finally got it up to 65 miles, after about four hours, and made a break for it. For those of you familiar with Colorado, most of my trip back was downhill. Steep. I drove judiciously, charging on the fly when I could, and made it home with 12 miles left. Stressful. Feeling like an idiot with slow trucks passing me while I'm trying to regenerate.

Whew! Tesla help center dudes had no idea what that error message is.

Let me also say, I am quite sure I am the one who screwed up the charging, Henry Sharp has been nothing but a gentleman on every interaction I've ever had with him. And he called me back the next day, but we did not speak (yet). I just wanted to throw this entire experience out there to see what experiences others have had.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I just love the car. So do my kids. Dad, can you drop me at school in the Tesla?

If I understand you correctly, you're saying you went to a Tesla charge station to charge your roadster? I didn't think that was possible, even if you somehow had an adapter. Or did this Tesla charge station have a J1772 type of charger, too? I've never pulled into a Tesla charge station because I thought it was not for roadsters. Wish I could advise on the fault you have, but others on this board are very knowledgable.

My 18 year old son loves my roadster and my 15 year old daughter thinks it's the dumbest car in the world. She sees cars as only practical things...

I've yet to connect with @puzzle by phone. Don't give up I'll keep trying. Glad to hear you've recovered from your knee surgery and can now drive your awesome car. I wonder if the Silverthorne "Tesla Charger Station" you went to was a Supercharger. I try to tell people that the Roadster can't supercharge but maybe I forgot? My bad. Every now and then I get a call/text/email from a stranded driver at a supercharger asking why the CAN SR won't work.

More troubling is the experience at Whole Foods. I don't know what kind of charger they had but they usually work. I'd like to get more information. What brand of charger? When did it fail (in the sequence of lights around the charge port)? What error msgs did you get in the car or on the charger?

Oh, and by the way, plugging a supercharger into a Roadster will not hurt it. It won't charge the car of course but it won't hurt anything.

• Informative
Reactions: Roadrunner13