Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner in Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ordered a CPO today while I was in Dallas. The car will be coming from LA. I'm very excited! It's a 2014 P85 with autopilot. It's pretty much loaded with options as far as I can tell. 13k miles.

Can't wait! Only drawback is they said delivery can take up to 3 weeks. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tomorrow is the big day! I am too impatient to wait for delivery from Dallas to my house....sooooooo.....I'm going to fly to Dallas tomorrow afternoon and drive her home.
Incidentally, I emailed Tesla inquiring about Superchargers on I20 and was informed they have one planned in Cisco and one in Sweetwater and hope to have them completed within the first six months of this year. That will be very nice if it comes to fruition! Wish me luck on the drive home, its only 355 miles. *fingers crossed*

Welcome to the club! Brace yourself for the paying of sales tax because Texas is a big jerkface about Tesla and cuts all the other e-vehicles a break except us.

When I was picking up my plates..the lady punched the numbers into her computer, got the sales tax total, starts LAUGHING loudly and hollered for the girl at the window next to her to come over and look at the screen since she'd never seen an amount so high. :( (Take your checkbook (which MUST have your current address on it), they charge a 2% fee for credit cards which is bogus)

Congrats on your P85! And Welcome to the West Texas Tesla Club! I just bought a P85 myself and flew over to Raleigh NC to pick her up. Me and my wife drove her back (1800 miles) and it was a great trip. Stopped at the Biltmore to see that Mansion(incredible), then over to the Corvette Museum/factory tour, next over to Branson, then home! The man I bought it from (Reese), very nice individual ordered a Model X and received it today! Sweetwater SuperChargers may be open now. If you need to charge in Lubbock anytime I have Tesla HPWC (80 amps if you have dual chargers). Just give me a shout!
Here's a pic of my P85!
Anson
(806) 441-4354
IMG_3563.JPG

• Love
Reactions: Model S M.D.
I'm really enjoying my P85. Mine has autopilot also. Production date 12/2014. I've put about 15K miles on it since January. I don't think the Sweetwater location is open yet. The Cisco location is not showing up on the Supercharger map yet, but it should be open very soon. I'm in Lubbock every weekend and get lots of attention with my P85.

IMG_0085 2.JPG
IMG_2233 2.JPG

Last edited:
The sales tax really isn't different than buying any other comparably priced luxury car. Texas doesn't have an income tax - it relies on sales and property taxes.

At least you may be able to get some relief from the sales tax when itemizing your deductions on your federal taxes.

The sales tax really isn't different than buying any other comparably priced luxury car. Texas doesn't have an income tax - it relies on sales and property taxes.

At least you may be able to get some relief from the sales tax when itemizing your deductions on your federal taxes.

This will be my first luxury car so I am dreading that price when I have to eventually go and pay it. I guess I am used to dealerships and the old way of doing it but I prefer the Tesla way any day.

There's a thread in the Texas forum about the applicability of the statute waiving the sales tax on hydrogen "capable" vehicles, which, in the most technical sense, the Model S is. One member had luck at his tax office (outside Houston); another (in DFW I believe) was rejected. You may want to check that out if you feel like trying your luck with that.

• Informative
Reactions: Model S M.D.
There's a thread in the Texas forum about the applicability of the statute waiving the sales tax on hydrogen "capable" vehicles, which, in the most technical sense, the Model S is. One member had luck at his tax office (outside Houston); another (in DFW I believe) was rejected. You may want to check that out if you feel like trying your luck with that.

I mean it can't hurt to try right?

I will need to investigate that thread and see what details and forms are needed. I am guessing since it is in my area it will be denied as there are a lot of Teslas in Collin County.