Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner - issue today I haven't seen discussed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad to be part of the family! I just picked up my 70D on Saturday and I love the car. It is one amazing vehicle.

I had an issue today that I haven't seen posted on here (at least not recently).

I got into my car this afternoon and it gave me a warning and said that all Vehicle Driver Assistance has been disabled (or something close to those words) and I needed to contact Tesla Service. I tried to reboot the display and the main screen but that didn't help. I contacted service and they had me do the same thing. I decided to get out of the car, locked it and got back in thinking that it would reset things but it didn't help. I realized, at this point, that I was parked with the car facing the sun. I have had trouble with our dynamic cruise control on our Toyota Sequoia at times when it is facing direct sunlight so I decided to move to a shady spot. I exited the car, locked it and then got back in and the car behaved as it should.

Has anyone else experienced this? It seems that being in direct sunlight at the right angle messes up the sensor. Curious as to whether my theory is crazy or not.

yes, it has happened to me about 3 times since July. Each time, I had to get out, lock the car and walk away to run an errand. On returning, it magically fixed itself. Rebooting computers and powering the car off does not fix the problem. Annoying for sure but does not actually require a trip to the service center.

I think your theory is correct btw. I strongly suspect that strong sunlight head on or at an angle causes the problem. It's only happened three times so I can't be sure, but I'd bet $10 on it.

Or, while in the car press the brake, go to the settings page and select e-brake on, press the "power off button". Wait about 3 minutes and restart and it should be good to go. I've had t happen several times too and that was the original instructions given to me by the Tesla 800#

Our 85 had this message. Service found that our low mounted radar had been bumped slightly. Thus it was not aligned properly with the camera and other inputs. They realigned everything and it's been okay since. Prior to making the diagnosis they said even a dirty windshield can cause that error. So, I bet glaring sun could throw things off too.