Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner looking for good advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mostly I pipe dream right now. I browsed through the stickies but will research that a ton if I end up making the plunge. My daily drive is about 100 miles so I don't think I will be wanting or needing the upgrade anytime soon unless I end up moving further from work.

In other news, my car is on a truck and on its way to me now so delivery hopefully on Monday!

The only thing I would add to this thread is perhaps to consider the "glass" top from Visium. See Transparent Roadster Top
and Seeking long term feedback from Visium owners.

Must-haves, as noted by others, are the two CAN adapters (JR and SR). The Roadster pre-dates the modern EV infrastructure - it's the car that effectively started it all - and these two gems make the car as able to participate as most, with only the exception of the lack of DC charging. In practice, I have found that to be an annoyance, but it hasn't prevented me from trips that DC charging might have been otherwise been useful for. Just took a bit more planning. I got lucky, as my car came with the upgraded headlights and PEM fan, and I'm on the list for the new brakes and rotors.

Finally, the in-dash unit. {sigh} I, too, have found it less than brilliant, but to be honest, I do still use it. All of the other options seem to have some fatal flaw, such as the blocking of the vents, etc., though I am still keeping an eye out for a worthy single-DIN replacement. In the mean time (and likely forever), Bluetooth to my phone lets me listen to music and podcasts, and some of my library that came on CDs even made it to the unit's hard drive. Phone calls get answered, and I can yell at whoever is calling that I will call them back. (The car's BT mike is horribly placed, so all the other person hears is noise until you pull over and talk in quiet.) Even the Nav part gets used. Yes, the maps are several years out of date, but still useful when I find myself out of cell coverage and needing some basic orientation. I sometimes let Google Maps and the Nav unit arm-wrestle for the latest info and best routes, and it's easy to see the miles remaining to destination and compare that with the VDS estimate on remaining range.. Nerdly entertaining, if nothing else.

I have tried replacing the rear view mirror with one that has a display built in, but the resolution was no better than the in-dash unit, and with the glare from the windshield behind it, harder to see. Also worried about using it at night, because it might be considered by the local police as viewing a movie.

Oh - do get a windshield mount for your phone. I found the normal position down on the center console difficult to view, and the modern phones are just too wide to sit there as originally intended. The one I found (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nekteck-...eld-Mobile-Phone-Mount-Holder-Black/145948215) has a suction back, and mounts nicely in the lower left corner of the windshield. I run a USB cord from there to a small 12v USB power gizmo in the accessory outlet under the console.

Enjoy your new car, and welcome!

This is exactly the info that I was looking for. While I was searching for cars, I had noticed that a few of them said that it came with the OVMS. It looks like I need a sim card and a data plan for it to work, right? Is the V3 going to be set like that also?
Yes. You can add it to your existing plans or there's a new provider out there that is designed for device connectivity (as opposed to phones). Pricing Details The US is Zone 1. I believe @markjw is planning to include a SIM from this place with the v3 units. That's the route I'm going to go when I get a v3 unit (I'm currently running a Tattler).

I have the Tesla App on my phone from my P85 and reading through the description, it sounds like a more intense and involved version of that. It says I can lock/unlock remotely (used that ALLLLL the time with my kids on the S) and check my charging and set charges as well.
Yes, basically anything you can do from the VDS (touchscreen) you can do from OVMS. Also, V3 is slated to have a bunch of other cool things too CANBUS logger, OBD-II emulator,etc.

I have looked at the CAN Jr and CAN Sr and I think I am going to pick up a JR but not sure about the SR. Is the SR really only usable if you have a newer MS charger at home because the Roadster can't be on a Supercharger, right?
Definitely get the JR so you can use J1772s. I picked up an SR because I have a Model S at home I could use that charger in the event my Roadster UMC died (since Tesla stripped their online store of nearly all Roadster things including UMCs and other charging bits).

It looks like it would only cost me a couple bucks a month for that plan so I think I will wait for the V3 to come out and jump on that.

I forgot but it looks like the car already has a J1772 adapter so I might only need to get the SR now.

@strider If you ever want to switch out your 2.5 front bumper, holler! :)

Phone calls get answered, and I can yell at whoever is calling that I will call them back. (The car's BT mike is horribly placed, so all the other person hears is noise until you pull over and talk in quiet.)
I agree, but find that at freeway speeds the car is so noisy that when using my iPhone's microphone during a call people still can't understand me. I either exit the freeway and take the call or just let it go to voicemail.

I agree, but find that at freeway speeds the car is so noisy that when using my iPhone's microphone during a call people still can't understand me. I either exit the freeway and take the call or just let it go to voicemail.
Ha, good to know. I haven't tried fiddling with different mike configurations, as I don't get enough real phone calls to make it worth the time. Sounds like I shouldn't bother.

Most folks figure out that I'm out driving and we connect later. Sometimes I can get the phone's voice-to-text to work, but that's not much fun either, and usually a lot safer to just call. Except once my daughter thought my talking loudly was that I was in a wreck or something horrible and freaked out for a bit. Ah, technology...

• Love
Reactions: hurd300403
Phone usage off limits even with a hardtop? Maybe I will just use some Airbuds and call it a day.

I looked at the Visium top and it looks amazing! Seems to run about 2k to 3k if I read through the thread correctly?
Actually, I think the car is a bit quieter with the soft top than the Visium. I don't have the original (Tesla) hard top, so can't compare those, but no one has ever called a Roadster quiet on the freeway. My 2.0, I believe, has the standard sound dampening for its day. The 2.5's had more, and the 1.5's less. More can be added - look for how-to threads on the topic.

I set the in-dash unit to auto-answer the phone, so I don't have to fiddle with pushing the right buttons. Again, not a lot of calls in the car, and the JVC unit's user interface is so bad that I can never remember which button answers the phone, vs the one that hangs up on the caller. I haven't gotten a phone call when driving since I got the windshield mount, so tapping the phone's screen might work better there now. The phone locks (PIN required) once the screen blanks, so my options tend to be limited without dangerously fiddling with it. Fortunately, Google Maps keeps the screen from blanking, but I can't usually keep both the maps running and music playing in the background at the same time. Phone issue, not the car's fault... Too much excitement for the little squirrel running it. And, of course, if I switch the in-dash unit's attention to the radio or internal music library, that mutes the audio from the phone so the turn-by-turn instructions from the phone don't come through. So, it's often one of maps, or music, or just silence (such as that is in a Roadster). The in-dash Nav unit's announcements do continue to work, so another small benefit from using it.

If I recall, I paid something like $2,700 for the Visium top. Make sure you get the one for the Roadster, as I read that the Elise version is ever so slightly different.

I have a factory hardtop also so I am probably going to be using that one for the most part. Once we are back in spring/summer, I am sure I will switch back and forth with the soft top.

For reference, my project car has no A/C so I rarely talk on the phone because the windows are always open. With all of the upgrades on the suspension and removal of other factory sound deadening in it, this car will be a breeze to drive in comparison to that! :D

First, congrats on the Roadster!! I hope you love it as much as the rest of us. Mine has 72K miles and going strong.

The advice given thus far is terrific, so I'll add just a few random tidbits.
  • Be especially careful when using the CAN adapters. The charge port inlet is bonded to the carbon fiber quarter panel. With the CAN adapter inserted into the car, it acts as a lever, so if you accidentally bump it as you walk by, the force is exaggerated and you can accidentally break the charge port inlet bond, which often requires a body shop to repair. And frankly the same caution should be used with the Roadster vehicle connector itself. The charge port inlet bond isn't super strong.
  • On a related note, the CAN adapter for Model S/X connectors is totally worth it. The Destination Charging network built for S/X has come a long way and is under-utilized in my opinion. I find most S/X drivers skew toward Superchargers without considering the Destination Charging network. Anyway, I find destination charging almost always free and always higher power than a local J1772 station.
  • Stomp on the brakes every once in a while. You'll get used to the regen and rarely touch the brakes. Pretty quickly the discs will get some rust and crazing which can cause annoying squeaks. A firm stop on the brakes from 50 or so MPH usually clears the discs.
  • Try out a few service centers in your area and look for a technician that's been with Tesla since the Roadster was new. Obviously, Tesla has grown tremendously since 2008-2011 and consequently most Tesla technicians have done only surface level or no training with Roadster at all. Luckily for you, the Roadster was very popular in Denver/CO when new- thanks in part to some insane state incentives that existed at the time - so find out if the technicians that worked 24/7 with Roadster are still around and at what store they're located.
Enjoy!

Oh really? Ya, that's not bad at all. Thanks, I had thought that most of their inventory was out so that's good to know. It is silly but I really like the 2.5 bumper but I don't know if it'll have the same pop as it does on some of the brighter colors with the contrast of the black lower grill. I did a quick search before but didn't see one. Anyone have a good front shot of a midnight blue with a 2.5 front bumper?

@bart513 is correct! The bumper itself is relatively inexpensive (as it is plastic), but the paint can be the expensive part. I have a buddy who wrecked his 2.5 and shared the invoice with me.

As far as inventory goes, let's just say they have...more than enough...2.5 bumpers in stock.

I'm sending out a probe tomorrow to my SC regarding parts. I "placed an order" for a set of the Xenon Headlamp Retrofit but have heard nothing. I'll inquire about other parts, too.

Greetings!

I am the proud new owner of #521 and I am waiting for its arrival. I've been lurking around the site a bit to answer some questions but not all of the info I'm finding is that current so figured I'd just ask.

What are the essentials or rules I should live or die by once I start daily driving this? I know constant range charging is no good but what other dos/dont's can you guys tell me about?

Aftermarket/oem parts. Is there a good site that I should be cruising? I have a 2.0 with the stock head unit but I'd love to get a 2.5 dash but that might not be very cost effective so what current headunits are you guys running that have apple CarPlay and the ability to run waze?

Rims. Mine will come with the standard cast wheels, where do you guys go to find some forged rims? I've looked at aftermarket and it doesn't seem like a huge selection out there? I put aftermarket rims on my P85 and they were heavier than the stock and my mileage took a hit as well so I'd like to get something lighter to improve the range and styling. Enkei RPF1's are not forged but they look to shave off a few pounds a corner but they are super common on cars so I'd like to find something else.

Headlights. I can't say I've noticed the difference between the standard and the hid lights through looking at cars to buy but it looks like many say the stockers are a safety concern? I've seen people get free upgrades at Tesla service but that doesn't seem like a likely option or I'd just do that. I looked through a thread for hid's and many of the links are dead ends as they are a few years old.

Carbon fiber/body goodies. I do enjoy carbon and I'd love to get the hood and wing along with interior pieces. I'd also like to get a 2.5 bumper. A lot of the places I find are no longer offering these pieces. Anywhere in specific I should look?

Anyways, thanks for reading through this. I hope to learn and educate myself so I can be a more useful member to this group.

Thanks!!!

Stock headlights are garbage. Upgrade to the xenons if you can, or get aftermarket bulbs. I've driven my car at night and I basically need the brights all the time (I have good vision)- the stock headlights just downright suck.

CAN SR is a must. Roadsters have a 16.8kw onboard charger and only HPWC's w/90+ amp breakers (72a continuous draw) can charge the car at maximum speed. Destination chargers make the CAN SR quite useful for mid-range roadtrips. Get a CAN JR if there are a ton of J1772 stations in areas you frequently travel, but remember that those will supply you with a relatively pokey 6.6kw/h (approx. 8 hrs 0-100% SOC).

If you're looking for even faster charging on Roadster, get Tony Williams to install a Chademo unit on the car. It's nowhere near the speed of superchargers (nor is it free) but this is the best you can get for Roadsters. CHAdeMo charging for Tesla Roadster

Also, for what it's worth: don't upgrade your front fascia to a 2.5. Original fascia is classier, especially if you upgrade your splitter from black plastic to carbon fiber. Just my 2c....

Reactions: hcsharp
@bart513 is correct! The bumper itself is relatively inexpensive (as it is plastic), but the paint can be the expensive part. I have a buddy who wrecked his 2.5 and shared the invoice with me.

As far as inventory goes, let's just say they have...more than enough...2.5 bumpers in stock.

I'm sending out a probe tomorrow to my SC regarding parts. I "placed an order" for a set of the Xenon Headlamp Retrofit but have heard nothing. I'll inquire about other parts, too.

Yes, please let us know what kinda inventory you find. I have searched around on eBay and I have found several xenon lights but I can't really tell but it doesn't look like they are the HID setups.

If you're looking for even faster charging on Roadster, get Tony Williams to install a Chademo unit on the car. It's nowhere near the speed of superchargers (nor is it free) but this is the best you can get for Roadsters. CHAdeMo charging for Tesla Roadster

Yes, I looked at the CHAdeMo charging a few days ago and I don't think I need that yet unless my drive increases a ton from the 100 miles it is at right now.

It does bring me to another thing that I completely skipped on before. I had a Leaf before the P85 and it was equipped with the quick charger and I worked at Nissan so I used it daily. I no longer work for Nissan but for Kia and we don't have the Soul EV as they are not allowed to be serviced by any dealer that isn't EV certified. The only Kia dealers that are "allowed" to get certified are out in California but we are hoping they move East and we will allow to get the certification. Anyways, in preparation for that we are planning on getting some stations installed at the dealership and maybe a quick charger. If I read correct, the Roadster can not use the quick chargers unless you have the CHAdeMO system installed? Is that right?

Also, for what it's worth: don't upgrade your front fascia to a 2.5. Original fascia is classier, especially if you upgrade your splitter from black plastic to carbon fiber. Just my 2c....

I have seen a few with the CF center and it looks awesome. Any leads on where to pick that up other than waiting for someone to sell theirs? I have a guy who makes CF pieces from scratch and has made a few pieces for my Subaru. Is there any kinda market for that front blade and the rear spoiler because I would ask him if there was?