Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner looking for good advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings!

I am the proud new owner of #521 and I am waiting for its arrival. I've been lurking around the site a bit to answer some questions but not all of the info I'm finding is that current so figured I'd just ask.

What are the essentials or rules I should live or die by once I start daily driving this? I know constant range charging is no good but what other dos/dont's can you guys tell me about?

Aftermarket/oem parts. Is there a good site that I should be cruising? I have a 2.0 with the stock head unit but I'd love to get a 2.5 dash but that might not be very cost effective so what current headunits are you guys running that have apple CarPlay and the ability to run waze?

Rims. Mine will come with the standard cast wheels, where do you guys go to find some forged rims? I've looked at aftermarket and it doesn't seem like a huge selection out there? I put aftermarket rims on my P85 and they were heavier than the stock and my mileage took a hit as well so I'd like to get something lighter to improve the range and styling. Enkei RPF1's are not forged but they look to shave off a few pounds a corner but they are super common on cars so I'd like to find something else.

Headlights. I can't say I've noticed the difference between the standard and the hid lights through looking at cars to buy but it looks like many say the stockers are a safety concern? I've seen people get free upgrades at Tesla service but that doesn't seem like a likely option or I'd just do that. I looked through a thread for hid's and many of the links are dead ends as they are a few years old.

Carbon fiber/body goodies. I do enjoy carbon and I'd love to get the hood and wing along with interior pieces. I'd also like to get a 2.5 bumper. A lot of the places I find are no longer offering these pieces. Anywhere in specific I should look?

Anyways, thanks for reading through this. I hope to learn and educate myself so I can be a more useful member to this group.

Thanks!!!

Hi @Indian Steve! Congrats on bringing home 521, I know you are going to enjoy it. As a new owner myself, I don't have many answers for you but I wanted to bump this and chime in that I would love to know if there is somewhere to find some of the old upgrades also. I love Carbon Fiber interiors so those are what I'd be after!

As for the head unit, from what I understand the double din upgrade is pretty intense (requires some modding of the ac vents) and would set you back a couple grand. When @hurd300403 was showing off his new Navdy, I noticed that he has a unit with a pop-out type screen which appears to allow for CarPlay on a single din but it looks to me like it blocks the two middle vents, definitely not a viable solution in TX summer heat...

Also, I don't know if you've had CarPlay in the past but I can tell you from my experience I didn't think is was all that great (and I'm admittedly a total Apple Fanboy). It locks you into Apple Maps and like you, I prefer Waze. The Pioneer unit I had supposedly supported Waze but neither I nor the guys at the shop could ever figure out how to get it to work. They said that was common feedback and that it seemed to only worked with certain iPhone models etc. etc. I would not spend the money again, of course just IMHO.

I am very happy with the quality of my stock headlights, but there is a huge caveat there in that my car only has 6k miles and seems to have spent it's entire life indoors. I know lots of owners have dropped $2,300 or so on the upgrade so maybe they get worse with age?

Looking forward to learning with you :D

edit: Here is @hurd300403's thread:
Navdy heads up display

Hi @Indian Steve! Congrats on bringing home 521, I know you are going to enjoy it. As a new owner myself, I don't have many answers for you but I wanted to bump this and chime in that I would love to know if there is somewhere to find some of the old upgrades also. I love Carbon Fiber interiors so those are what I'd be after!

As for the head unit, from what I understand the double din upgrade is pretty intense (requires some modding of the ac vents) and would set you back a couple grand. When @hurd300403 was showing off his new Navdy, I noticed that he has a unit with a pop-out type screen which appears to allow for CarPlay on a single din but it looks to me like it blocks the two middle vents, definitely not a viable solution in TX summer heat...

Also, I don't know if you've had CarPlay in the past but I can tell you from my experience I didn't think is was all that great (and I'm admittedly a total Apple Fanboy). It locks you into Apple Maps and like you, I prefer Waze. The Pioneer unit I had supposedly supported Waze but neither I nor the guys at the shop could ever figure out how to get it to work. They said that was common feedback and that it seemed to only worked with certain iPhone models etc. etc. I would not spend the money again, of course just IMHO.

I am very happy with the quality of my stock headlights, but there is a huge caveat there in that my car only has 6k miles and seems to have spent it's entire life indoors. I know lots of owners have dropped $2,300 or so on the upgrade so maybe they get worse with age?

Navdy heads up display

My best advice is to seek good advice PRIOR to purchasing

@Indian Steve welcome to the joys -- and challenges -- of Roadster ownership! I've only owned my 1.5 for about 3 years and am not an expert. It sounds like you have done some searching to find Roadster parts and are having trouble, which is not surprising given the age of our Roadsters. I can offer a few comments in response to your questions:

My car came with the stock halogen headlights and they are poor by modern standards. I found them completely inadequate. I replaced my low beam bulbs with HIDs (with the able assistance of @strider ) for about $200 and they were massively improved. There is a long thread about doing that. You noted that some links in that thread are dead, but it is possible to buy replacement bulb kits. Google is your friend, see hid headlight tesla roadster - Google Search

Regarding replacing the stock head unit, many have done it and again there are multiple threads on that. I don't use my head unit at all, it's turned off. I consider it useless. I run Waze on my phone for nav and consider the Roadster cockpit so noisy at speed that listening to music through the car speakers is pointless. Lately I have been using Apple Air Pods to listen to music and podcasts on long drives. On short drives I just enjoy the engine whine. :cool:

Recently Tesla removed almost all the Roadster parts from their online store. I assume they are simply out of most of the stuff they used to sell, including forged wheels. Remember, your "new" car is now 8 years old. A good way to find parts is to post a "Want to Buy" ad on this site or search ebay. I am not aware of a specific third party "aftermarket site" for Roadster items with the exception of this company which does custom audio installs, reupholstering, and sells some carbon fiber door sills Tesla Roadster – Al & Eds Autosound

Thanks for the wisdom, but not helpful or honestly appropriate for this thread. It's not like we are asking how to charge the thing. We have done enough research to know we wanted to buy and own a Roadster and we would enjoy them without answers to any of these questions, it would just be icing on the cake.

Reactions: DrivingRockies
The OP has shown he has done some research and his post history also indicates he has asked questions and spoken to Roadster owners near him. Now he is asking more questions. Good for him.

Your advice to someone who has already made a purchase is not helpful for that person.

Greetings!

I am the proud new owner of #521 and I am waiting for its arrival. I've been lurking around the site a bit to answer some questions but not all of the info I'm finding is that current so figured I'd just ask.

Congrats!

What are the essentials or rules I should live or die by once I start daily driving this? I know constant range charging is no good but what other dos/dont's can you guys tell me about?
If your car does not have an OVMS or Tesla Tattler you will want one. These devices allow you to monitor and control your car remotely. Look in the passenger footwell and you should see a plug tucked back there (This is the Roadster diagnostic plug). On my 2.5 the plug is white. If that is not connected to anything then you do not have either of those devices. If it is connected to something you should follow the wire to see what's plugged into it.

The Tattler is out of production so if you don't have an OVMS you should get one. The v3 units will be ready in a few months. There is a thread in the Roadster: Technical forum about it.

Aftermarket/oem parts. Is there a good site that I should be cruising? I have a 2.0 with the stock head unit but I'd love to get a 2.5 dash but that might not be very cost effective so what current headunits are you guys running that have apple CarPlay and the ability to run waze?

Some Lotus parts will fit. TMC is your best bet. Read through and search as much as you can here.

Rims. Mine will come with the standard cast wheels, where do you guys go to find some forged rims? I've looked at aftermarket and it doesn't seem like a huge selection out there? I put aftermarket rims on my P85 and they were heavier than the stock and my mileage took a hit as well so I'd like to get something lighter to improve the range and styling. Enkei RPF1's are not forged but they look to shave off a few pounds a corner but they are super common on cars so I'd like to find something else.

I bought mine with forged wheels (though my wife preferred the 1.5/2.0 forged wheels over the 2.5's because the 2.5's were too shiny). So I have what I assume to be a rare 2.5 with 1.5/2.0 forged wheels. Although they are the same size as the Lotus Elise we have a different bolt pattern.

You didn't ask about tires. There's a sticky thread in this forum on it. You should look at your front tires. Roadsters do not go through front tires very fast so they may be old and cracked before the tread is warn. Keep you eye on it.

Headlights. I can't say I've noticed the difference between the standard and the hid lights through looking at cars to buy but it looks like many say the stockers are a safety concern? I've seen people get free upgrades at Tesla service but that doesn't seem like a likely option or I'd just do that. I looked through a thread for hid's and many of the links are dead ends as they are a few years old.

The stock headlights are HORRIBLE. I bought a set from DDM Tuning (same as @ecarfan). It doesn't look like they carry the exact one we used but this one looks similar: DDM Tuning: HID and LED Lighting I ran the DDMs for a few years before the headlight covers started peeling. Luckily I was still under warranty. Tesla was out of the halogens so I got a free upgrade to HIDs.

Carbon fiber/body goodies. I do enjoy carbon and I'd love to get the hood and wing along with interior pieces. I'd also like to get a 2.5 bumper. A lot of the places I find are no longer offering these pieces. Anywhere in specific I should look?

Parts are getting rare. @ecarfan's reco of Al and Ed's is a good one. At least 1 of the owners there has a Roadster so they still pay attention to us.

Anyways, thanks for reading through this. I hope to learn and educate myself so I can be a more useful member to this group.

Thanks!!!
Welcome!

Navdy heads up display

Ya, the double din threads that I have looked at seem to be very intense. I work for a dealership so I have a relationship with a manager at a CarToys from years of customers doing custom work so I have debated letting it go under the knife but I don't know if I am that brave yet so I am putting that on the backburner. I have seen the motorized screens and some flip up which would block the vents and some flip down which would block the controlls. I might just do a wireless backup camera with the rear view mirror and call it a day but I am going to drive it for a few months before deciding what makes most sense. Good insight on the CarPlay, I have only used it a few times in some of my company cars but I hadn't equated the fact that this is a completely different style car so we will see.

521 only has 13k on it and seems to be garaged and well taken care of. The owner had bought a set of SuperBrightLeds.com kits that I picked up from him as well so I am going to give that a whirl for the time being. For reference, my on going project is an old Subaru so I am sure whatever light output these do will be better than what I deal with in general.

@Indian Steve
Recently Tesla removed almost all the Roadster parts from their online store. I assume they are simply out of most of the stuff they used to sell, including forged wheels. Remember, your "new" car is now 8 years old. A good way to find parts is to post a "Want to Buy" ad on this site or search ebay. I am not aware of a specific third party "aftermarket site" for Roadster items with the exception of this company which does custom audio installs, reupholstering, and sells some carbon fiber door sills Tesla Roadster – Al & Eds Autosound

I had seen a few posts mentions Al & Eds but I hadn't done much researching about them. I kinda assumed that most of it would be dissembling the car here and shipping parts out to them which isn't ideal but depending on what it is, might happen. I have been mostly searching around TMC for parts and figure they will come here and there but won't be a steady stream of parts.

If your car does not have an OVMS or Tesla Tattler you will want one. These devices allow you to monitor and control your car remotely. Look in the passenger footwell and you should see a plug tucked back there (This is the Roadster diagnostic plug). On my 2.5 the plug is white. If that is not connected to anything then you do not have either of those devices. If it is connected to something you should follow the wire to see what's plugged into it.

The Tattler is out of production so if you don't have an OVMS you should get one. The v3 units will be ready in a few months. There is a thread in the Roadster: Technical forum about it.

This is exactly the info that I was looking for. While I was searching for cars, I had noticed that a few of them said that it came with the OVMS. It looks like I need a sim card and a data plan for it to work, right? Is the V3 going to be set like that also?

I have the Tesla App on my phone from my P85 and reading through the description, it sounds like a more intense and involved version of that. It says I can lock/unlock remotely (used that ALLLLL the time with my kids on the S) and check my charging and set charges as well.

I have looked at the CAN Jr and CAN Sr and I think I am going to pick up a JR but not sure about the SR. Is the SR really only usable if you have a newer MS charger at home because the Roadster can't be on a Supercharger, right?

The OP has shown he has done some research and his post history also indicates he has asked questions and spoken to Roadster owners near him. Now he is asking more questions. Good for him.

Your advice to someone who has already made a purchase is not helpful for that person.
Totally disagree with you. My advise was not only limited to this one issue but directed to all his life decisions. Should answer all questions and research as much as possible prior to buying a large ticket item. Not having taken delivery of the car yet it’s hard to imagine why these questions came up after purchase and not before. I owned a roadster and loved it but answered all my questions before purchase.

I have looked at the CAN Jr and CAN Sr and I think I am going to pick up a JR but not sure about the SR. Is the SR really only usable if you have a newer MS charger at home because the Roadster can't be on a Supercharger, right?

The CAN SR will allow you to take advantage of all the destination chargers out in the wild.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Totally disagree with you. My advise was not only limited to this one issue but directed to all his life decisions. Should answer all questions and research as much as possible prior to buying a large ticket item. Not having taken delivery of the car yet it’s hard to imagine why these questions came up after purchase and not before. I owned a roadster and loved it but answered all my questions before purchase.
I had questions about my Roadster after I purchased it. Not any big ones. I knew what I was buying. But little ones & the forum was immensely helpful (because the manual was not).

And my life decisions are just fine. :)

Seriously, life decisions? These were questions I had before but weren't going to make or break me buying a Roadster as they are all more or less just extra frills. Am I going to die if I can't get a double din, rims, or some carbon fiber pieces? Nope...still going to enjoy the car. Just figured if I could do some more upgrades and I had missed them while doing my research that I would ask.

Reactions: bonnie
Ah ya, I hadn't thought about destination chargers. I think I might get the JR and the SR so I am covered on all sides.

I would love to use a Supercharger as their is one not too far from my place but I don't think I will be doing the 3.0 upgrade anytime soon.
Sadly, 3.0 won't get you supercharging. Just more range so you don't need to stop as often.