Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner ( model Y LR ) my I kindly ask questions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just three quick questions
Thrilled with my car, less so with the Tesla dealer !

(i) Chargers, why are there two leads on superchargers . Why won’t the larger plug release until I’ve removed and replaced the smaller lead ?
(ii) Autopilot , I’ve used it a lot, I’m impressed …. It I’m curious, do you all do long journeys with it engaged ? Slightly applying a turning pressure to the wheel. It feels odd to me !
(iii) Long distance journey planner…. It seems cautious.
Why do I say that ? I drive frequently from the Algarve to Warwickshire (sometimes Santander ferry , sometimes St Malo) .. What is the point of buying an EV with a 530km range if the Tesla route process plans superchrger stops every 210km ? It’s very range cautious. Do my of you disregard it to achebive a run nearer to the car’s maximum? 400km plus ?

thanks for looking at my questions 👍

1) Older style Teslas only had a type2 port and the chargers reflected that. With the growing consolidation Europe of CCS charging then there was a compromise charger type introduced with both leads. I never find it necessary to take the type 2 off before releasing the CCS one but they can take a tug.
11) I have FSD so slightly different but personally I gave up using autopilot much after a couple of 'real' phantom braking episodes - full on brake slam at 70mph is scary. The turning pressure is to confirm you're paying attention.
111) Entirely up to you - you can monitor range and estimated remaining via the usage chart. This old man has to stop to pee more often than he'd like...

As above really.

I tend to only use Autopilot on quiet motorways and half the time I don’t even bother then. You have to pay attention as it’s not perfect and that one moment, even if it was only one in 10k miles, could get you into a heap of trouble. The wheel thing, it’s more a gentle turn and when on AP I find just holding the wheel with one hand, elbow on the door card and the wheel taking the weight of my arm is sufficient. You’ll also get to learn when the car starts to steer badly as you feel it through the steering wheel. Can’t stress how cautious you should be until you get to understand it’s foibles

On the route planner, I try and avoid using it other than the end destination or when I’m heading to a supercharger. It’s tried to send me on some tortious routes over the years. Either Google maps or abetterouteplanner website will be better. Again, start cautiously as a 70mph+ drive will drop your range noticeably and you do to want to come up short. It’s also worth noting that on a long journey, adding 50% from say 15% to 65% will be much quicker than 40% to 90% and way less than half the time to charge from 0-100%, ie frequent regular top ups to no more than 70-80% will be the quickest way.

Reactions: Alan J
Just three quick questions
Thrilled with my car, less so with the Tesla dealer !

(i) Chargers, why are there two leads on superchargers . Why won’t the larger plug release until I’ve removed and replaced the smaller lead ?
(ii) Autopilot , I’ve used it a lot, I’m impressed …. It I’m curious, do you all do long journeys with it engaged ? Slightly applying a turning pressure to the wheel. It feels odd to me !
(iii) Long distance journey planner…. It seems cautious.
Why do I say that ? I drive frequently from the Algarve to Warwickshire (sometimes Santander ferry , sometimes St Malo) .. What is the point of buying an EV with a 530km range if the Tesla route process plans superchrger stops every 210km ? It’s very range cautious. Do my of you disregard it to achebive a run nearer to the car’s maximum? 400km plus ?

thanks for looking at my questions 👍

as others have said - ABRP is good - ABRP Click on the table button to see more - I changed destination arrival charge to 50% in advanced settings, so you have plenty of juice to get to a charger in UK. You can play with the settings as you want. It's a journey I might do (in reverse) at some point.

1647439394454.png

Congratulations on your new car Stuart.

(i) the other lead is for Model S and X, there wasn't a standard for charging at the time so Tesla sort of created one. These won't charge your Model Y, so always take the top lead, it's the CCS standard you will find in other place. Newer Tesla SuperChargers v3 only have the one lead you need.

(ii) Every day, as soon as I get off the slip road on a motorway I enable AP and it doesn't come off until I leave. I don't use AP on anything other than motorways and major A roads, it's not advised for other roads and can be frankly terrifying.

{iii} Because it's faster, that's the only measure. When charging the rate is far quicker up to about 60%, then it tails off rapidly. Sitting in one spot trying to get to 80, 90% for your next leg is not the quickest way to get from A to B. If I'm having a major journey I tend to plan it using abetterrouteplanner.com so then I can define thing like how much power I want to arrive with. Typically this ends up matching the Tesla forecast, just with less charging at the last stop. In ABRP you can change how often it chooses to stop, but I leave it on quickest.

As others have said:

I’m curious, do you all do long journeys with it engaged ?

Yes, always. I've looked down at dash to check something, or twiddle a virtual-knob, and traffic in front of me slowed up, AP slowing down caused me to look up ... pre-AP maybe I would have piled into the car in front; probably not (they didn't brake dramatically), but.

I arrive far more refreshed on longer journeys. I think that reduced driver-workload is a part of that. I'm now on lookout for more distant hazards, front-and-rear, than if I was at the helm. And I have follow-distance set to max; undoubtedly if it was me driving at some point I'd be creeping nearer to car in front ... increasing my risk, and stress.

I don't care if AP or me spots the threat; the two of us is better than me on my own. Even allowing for some phantom-braking that my First Officer indulges in.
(iii) Long distance journey planner
Use ABetterRoutePlanner, put in model of vehicle and expected air temperature. If its going to be a wet day set Road Conditions to Rain (that can be significant). Factor in wind if that is likely to be an issue, and weight if you have passengers and cargo (much less of a range issue)

There are things ABetterRoutePlanner can do that car SatNav won't - e.g. enter a DWELL TIME at a location where you will stop for lunch, so that the departure SOC is accurate. Similarly you can set arrival SOC for a waypoint, or destination. Enough to get you to Supercharger the next morning, or for some running around / sightseeing.

Set a Waypoint for a specific Supercharger if you want to - e.g. where you know you can cross over to other side of motorway where there is only a Supercharger on opposite carriageway. Or an Ionity charger you want to use. Or a stop at a work client location which has charging available

What is the point of buying an EV with a 530km range if the Tesla route process plans superchrger stops every 210km ?

When I drive to the Alps I find the Supercharger placement are too far apart such that I often skip one. So I have to stop at average of 1h30m - 2h instead of 2h - 2h30m interval. Its a lot better (more locations) than a few years ago ...

My first leg will start with 100% charge. Ideally I will reach Supercharger at 10%, but I am cautious so will usually plan for 20% arrival. En route if consumption is good I will speed up (rather than planning for 10% and slowing down if consumption is poor). Heavy traffic and Roadworks will increase my range ... meaning that I may well arrive over 20% (sometime that will mean that I then do have range for the next Supercharger, or to reach my destination without charging)

Car will charge faster from 10%. I will aim not to charge above 70% (charging rate slows down), 80% is OK-ish but any more than that is too slow, and above 90% is extremely slow. But I will stop for 50 minutes or so for a decent lunch, and that is enough to get from 10% to, say, 95% which may mean I can leapfrog the next Supercharger. On a continental journey location of the lunch stop, or similarly an overnight hotel, is critical as to how many other charging stops I have to make :)

So for Leg-2 onwards charging from 10% to 70% is only 60% of absolutely maximum Motorway range, perhaps 3 miles / kWh at best, and in the wet probably only 2.5 miles. For me that is 200 miles - but at 80 MPH on the continent that would definitely be 2h30m. But then I would need a supercharger at exactly that location :)

You can click on a more distant supercharger (on Map) and then press "Navigate" there. Then look at Consumption graph (the TRIP tab) to see predicted arrival SOC. As you drive the graph will show a second line for revised prediction (base on consumption). You can then judge whether you will make it, and if not whether you want to slow down or change to navigate to nearer Supercharger when you definitely aren't going to make it.

Bit different to using an ICE, and probably not everyone's cup-of-tea. Stopping more often is fine, but its 5-minutes or so on-and-off the Motorway each time

it’s not perfect and that one moment, even if it was only one in 10k miles, could get you into a heap of trouble

Indeed. People have died reading a book / phone / watching a movie and assuming AP is going to do a 100% job. So my own rule is to always be paying attention - fully aware of that death risk - even if it is as low as once-in-several-cars-ownership . But my look ahead/behind distance is greatly increased when AP is doing the minutia work, so I think overall that is better.

I have right foot resting over the accelerator. I don't get much phantom braking, but I can counter with accelerator fast enough to not be a threat to following traffic - they may wrongly think I'm brake-checking them though ...

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies above.
There is quite a learning curve, I appreciate the help.

ps today I disposed of my “ old “. 2020 X5 ..

Driving it to the dealer, I was astonished.
So slow ! Inert even. So many switches and an awful jiggly ride on the 21 inch wheels.

It was , a little like, driving something “agricultural” in comparison to the MY.
The seats in the X5 are far better though !

The front seats in the MY are pitiful , especially if you are taller than a Chinaman.
(I'm 6ft 1 and 90kg, average ish I guess ?)
Why do Tesla design the seat cushion to be so bloody short? It’s madness.
The seats need to be the same size as those in a Merc or BM and they are not. 🤬

How do I feel now ?
Overall I’m very happy with the MY, it’s a pity the motoring press don’t give the car the credit it deserves. In my opinion I can’t think of a better car for the money. Nothing comes close.

Now please replace the seats Elon, with something that is appropriate to the rest of the car?

Attachments

• 1EDC780C-8289-44AF-A472-46D968C506E4.jpeg
    1EDC780C-8289-44AF-A472-46D968C506E4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 45
  • 9D7EA1B6-B87A-4F80-84C1-16ACF3E0F92A.jpeg
    9D7EA1B6-B87A-4F80-84C1-16ACF3E0F92A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
Init ? …hmmm. A tad “unnecessary“ ….

(I’d searched the manual and read the forum topics for my three questions.)

Perfectly valid questions don’t you think ?🤔 Are you a teacher perchance?
Nothing wrong with your questions, I was merely pointing you to sources of information to help you with your learning curve - which is why I quoted that part of your post ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Wattsisname
Nothing wrong with your questions, I was merely pointing you to sources of information to help you with your learning curve - which is why I quoted that part of your post ;)
Were these "studies" specific to Tesla owners and Tesla owners in waiting or to anyone seeking opinions and answers via posts having/or having not, read and interrogated the manual?

If I did not ask questions here whilst waiting for the unfortunate citizens of Shanghai to be free of the Covid scourge, I would have to follow the instructions of "She who (thinks she ) must be obeyed" and do something useful - perish the thought!

Reactions: Stuart Watson
The front seats in the MY are pitiful , especially if you are taller than a Chinaman.
(I'm 6ft 1 and 90kg, average ish I guess ?)
Really? I don’t think the average person (male, female or however they identify) is that tall and heavy yet!

Also, what has being Chinese got to do with it? They are on average only an inch shorter than the UK population.

Average human height by country - Wikipedia

Reactions: Rirawin and GRiLLA
Really? I don’t think the average person (male, female or however they identify) is that tall and heavy yet!

Also, what has being Chinese got to do with it? They are on average only an inch shorter than the UK population.

I am 6" 4" and weigh 17 stone.
My X3 seat could not be more comfortable on long European road trips. My Saab V6 convertible, back in the day, was armchair comfortable.

The quality end of the market tends to cater for more than just Mr Average - it will be both surprising and disappointing if Tesla do not.

When we test drove the Y, I did not notice this issue. However, there is so much to absorb during the test and size of the seat did not cross my radar.

All will be revealed .....if my ship ever comes in 🤞

I am sensing that Mr Watson's Chinese reference was perceived as pejorative🧐by Doric Jim.
I have not looked at the suggested Wikipedia reference, but I would substitute Scotsman for the Oriental reference if not for the fact that I am Mr P.C. in these matters, so I woke ... I mean won't.

... of course it's not only men that drive cars ... merge the male average and the female average and it comes down a bit more. I may have usually been one of the shortest in my class at school but I'm feeling quite lofty now ... despite the fact that I'm shorter than the average Chinese person, yet strangely enough, without being Chinese! I find most car seats are OK comfortwise and the Model 3 seats feel good. Car seats can be hard to predict until you actually sit in them of course ... the last uncomfortable seat I experienced was, surprisingly, in a Mercedes C class.

... of course it's not only men that drive cars ... merge the male average and the female average and it comes down a bit more. I may have usually been one of the shortest in my class at school but I'm feeling quite lofty now ... despite the fact that I'm shorter than the average Chinese person, yet strangely enough, without being Chinese! I find most car seats are OK comfortwise and the Model 3 seats feel good. Car seats can be hard to predict until you actually sit in them of course ... the last uncomfortable seat I experienced was, surprisingly, in a Mercedes C class.
The issue, believe, is having enough seat to support the the thighs. Did the C Class have a pull out support?

The issue, believe, is having enough seat to support the the thighs. Did the C Class have a pull out support?
If I remember rightly it was the back support that didn't seem to work for me for some odd reason (I was a passenger in the front). If you saw the length of my legs you would realise that short thigh support is not going to be an issue 😁

• Funny