Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner MX experience- noise and autopilot issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After few more road trips I feel more comfortable with autopilot now. May be bit more comfortable that the car decided to punish me once by disabling autopilot for the rest of trip. lol. I had my hands on the wheel but it wasn't enough i guess and i might have ignored all the ding dong sounds. Whenever there is a chime its like now what did I do. I had an appointment with Fremont service center to check the cabin noise and some minor panel gaps. They took it for a drive and mentioned that noise was normal. After new mats and multiple hours in the car it was not that of a problem anyway. Gaps were fixed according to Tesla standards :p But overall it was a pleasant experience.

Max limit was set to 77 and it continued at 75 which could have been dangerous. Speed limit in that section was 60.

You went 15 miles over speed limit on AP. Doable, but not a good idea.

I will give you an advice to make your Autopilot experience more enjoyable more useful. I have driven a lot of miles in autopilot - over 60k miles I would think - over the last 4 years over all sorts of roads., not just highways. I turn on AP almost every time as long as there are lanes.

But the one thing I do is, I set it mostly at 5 miles an hour than the speed limit and sometimes at +10 miles if the roads are marked well and straight, but never greater than that.

At speed limit you can close your eyes (don't do that, but you get the idea). But I understand it is not possible to go at speed limit except in city roads. In fact when the traffic is flowing at speed limit, I really enjoy AP the most.

At +5 it is fantastic, which I do when the speed limit is 65 or 70, but I watch near curves and when the lanes are iffy.

I go at +10 only on some roads where the speed limit is unreasonably low at 55 or 60, and the roads are pretty good. Never more than that on AP. But I watch extra careful around curves and lane lines.

There is a reason each road has a speed limit based on the terrain and other conditions. Now you may be pressured to go at +15 when the traffic is light, but don't do that. You are not really saving any time.

On curves, AP reduces the speed only sometimes, often it misses it. it is not using map data, and so often it encounters the curves at higher speed and struggles.

You went 15 miles over speed limit on AP. Doable, but not a good idea.

I will give you an advice to make your Autopilot experience more enjoyable more useful. I have driven a lot of miles in autopilot - over 60k miles I would think - over the last 4 years over all sorts of roads., not just highways. I turn on AP almost every time as long as there are lanes.

But the one thing I do is, I set it mostly at 5 miles an hour than the speed limit and sometimes at +10 miles if the roads are marked well and straight, but never greater than that.

At speed limit you can close your eyes (don't do that, but you get the idea). But I understand it is not possible to go at speed limit except in city roads. In fact when the traffic is flowing at speed limit, I really enjoy AP the most.

At +5 it is fantastic, which I do when the speed limit is 65 or 70, but I watch near curves and when the lanes are iffy.

I go at +10 only on some roads where the speed limit is unreasonably low at 55 or 60, and the roads are pretty good. Never more than that on AP. But I watch extra careful around curves and lane lines.

There is a reason each road has a speed limit based on the terrain and other conditions. Now you may be pressured to go at +15 when the traffic is light, but don't do that. You are not really saving any time.

On curves, AP reduces the speed only sometimes, often it misses it. it is not using map data, and so often it encounters the curves at higher speed and struggles.
Yep I agree, higher speed limit made it uncomfortable. My speed limit was set to +5 only but in a previous section i had manually increased it to 75 by using the autopilot stalk, just wanted to check if it allows me to go beyond the set limits. And then forgot :) Now i dont do that and with + 5 to +10 max it is better.