Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner MX experience- noise and autopilot issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie here, Got my MX LR FSD last week and today went on a 200 mile highway trip. This vehicle is in a different league for sure. Great experience overall. Need opinion on two concerns:
  1. I felt more cabin noise compared to other vehicles I have driven. We have a Pacifica minivan and compared to MX it is very quiet. Not sure if this normal. Sometimes i felt it was tire noise and sometimes it felt like wind gushing inside from somewhere but cannot feel it.
  2. Tried autopilot most of the time and it was great. However on few curves it didn't slow down and i had to take over because i felt it might go out of the road. Max limit was set to 77 and it continued at 75 which could have been dangerous. Speed limit in that section was 60.

Both normal. Its funny how the tires on EV's sound louder than anything else.It was there all long with the other cars you had. You never got to hear it, huh?
You do remember, right? AP is still beta and still learning. The more you drive the more the fleet benefits from what your and my car sees.

• Disagree
Reactions: mswlogo
Cabin noise was a problem on early MX builds, though I thought that was all resolved a year+ ago. It’s probably worth checking the quarter glass (the triangle window in the front) as that was the source of a lot of wind noise. If it seems to be a bit behind you, then it’s more likely one or both of the FWDs being misaligned or not sealed correctly. But again, those are long ago problems I only know of from reading posts in 2016 and 2017! If anything looks amiss on that front, then schedule a trip to the Service Center.

As for Autopilot, yes, you have to be aware and fully in control at all times. It’s good for straight, non-inclement weather driving (the most boring kind of driving), but it can be unsafe in many other circumstances.

I’m not sure I agree with Akiki since lots of discussion on the Autopilot forum seems to indicate Tesla does NOT learn from you (except in very limited circumstances, such as airbag deployments or when Tesla has asked the cars for specific data - “show me pics of pickup trucks” - to get data from the fleet). The volume of data uploaded from our individual cars is very, very small overall. Though there may be some Early Access Program vehicles from which Tesla extracts much more data.

I find that my NoA does slow down for curves pretty consistently, almost too much many times, but YMMV so be safe for sure.

Congrats on the MX by the way! Ours is from June 2017 and I STILL love driving it. Every. Damn. Day. There is no errand too inconvenient where I won’t want to take the X for a spin. We’ve taken ours on a 1,000 mile road trip and it was wonderful. Enjoy!

I did walkthrough in the garage and checked the seals, nothing seems off. I have an appointment to fix a panel gap in frunk so i would ask them to take a look at the noise issue. Its not that big of a problem as we discussed it only few times during the trip. Most of the time we were admiring the panoramic windshield, autopilot , and ride comfort :)
Regarding the autopilot i remember seeing few vidoes where it slowed down considerably on curves so i was expecting that. I know its in beta so no complains , it is going to improve for sure. Other than the curve issue it was great.

Ditto on the quarter glass - we had that issue at delivery (and one subsequent time during ownership).

Curves - I've never had either the S or X slow down on a curve with AP1. Not sure what conditions would prompt it to slow.

Reactions: X Fan
Newbie here, Got my MX LR FSD last week and today went on a 200 mile highway trip. This vehicle is in a different league for sure. Great experience overall. Need opinion on two concerns:
  1. I felt more cabin noise compared to other vehicles I have driven. We have a Pacifica minivan and compared to MX it is very quiet. Not sure if this normal. Sometimes i felt it was tire noise and sometimes it felt like wind gushing inside from somewhere but cannot feel it.
  2. Tried autopilot most of the time and it was great. However on few curves it didn't slow down and i had to take over because i felt it might go out of the road. Max limit was set to 77 and it continued at 75 which could have been dangerous. Speed limit in that section was 60.

Definitely a bit more noise. Less padding, Aluminum body, and most no engine noise to mask road noise.

Autopilot assume you know what you are doing when you set speed. You are always in control of the car, autopilot is assisting. Set too fast and it will follow your commands. Also, it is near impossible to roll a Model X. If you used to driving a minivan, speeds that feel too fast in the minivan are just fine in the X.

1. Tried autopilot most of the time and it was great. However on few curves it didn't slow down and i had to take over because i felt it might go out of the road. Max limit was set to 77 and it continued at 75 which could have been dangerous. Speed limit in that section was 60.
Remember that you can adjust the maximum speed limit simply by clicking the AP stalk up or down. When I’m in EAP or NOA I frequently adjust the speed with the AP stalk depending on the situation.

Congrats on your purchase!

My new 2020 has some pretty bad wind noise coming from the driverside B pillar. Took it in to the SC for a airbag problem and told them about the noise. Sure enough the rear FWD glass is pushed out a little bit. They'll be doing a remote fix Monday to fix that, I also talked to the guy that will be doing the work and he said he'd look at all the other glass / seals to make sure they're solid.
So might be worth a shot to ask them.

We too have both a MX 75D and a Pacifica Hybrid and I've noticed the Pacifica is a bit quieter on the highway than the Tesla. I can't say there's an excessive amount of wind noise on the X but the road noise is something that definitely needs to be worked on. I spoke with someone at the SC and they said that the newer MXs have better soundproofing than the earlier ones. Since we have a 3 yr lease we'll be turning this one in in April and leasing a new 2020 MX so we'll see. I don't know if there is better soundproofing or what other improvements have been made since the 2017 models but I'm definitely going to enjoy the longer range since we take a couple of trips per year to CO and southern CA and if nothing else the faster charge time will make a big difference.

Not trying to hijack this but 2 posters mentioned maxpyder mats.
Had them in my Model S and loved them. On their site they only mention availability for the front.
Any solutions of matching mats for back seat and cargo area?

You folks must have owned some really *sugar* ICE cars because I could not hear the engine cruising on the highway in any of mine. In fact I still own a Volt. And when the engine kicks in it sounds exactly the same (except when it first starts up it rev’s up for a bit).

Stop making excuses for noisy EV cabins. So tired of hearing the excuse that ICE engines used to mask the noise. That’s a bunch of bull.

I probably found 6 issues with my Model X regarding noise leaks. Rubber boots installed poorly, missing glue on door gaskets, Window very poorly adjusted. It’s acceptable now but still not as good as my Jeep Summit nor even my Volt.

Tires are a big contribution. And the 19” snow package on the Model X is a huge help. Maybe you owned a fiat abarth 500 (my daughter has one and all you can hear is the stupid exhaust at any speed, what a POS).

I partly got rid of the Model 3 because it was a lot worse than the X.

Tire pressure is another source. Tesla runs tires very high for efficiency. That transfers more noise into the body.

Another source on Tesla’s is the amount of glass they use. All the glass on my Jeep was acoustic glass. I installed all the sunscreens on the Model 3 and it helped quite a bit. But none of the sunscreens work out that great in Model X.

My new 2020 has some pretty bad wind noise coming from the driverside B pillar. Took it in to the SC for a airbag problem and told them about the noise. Sure enough the rear FWD glass is pushed out a little bit. They'll be doing a remote fix Monday to fix that, I also talked to the guy that will be doing the work and he said he'd look at all the other glass / seals to make sure they're solid.
So might be worth a shot to ask them.
I also suspect something similar. Missing insulation somewhere. Have an appointment next week. Hopefully they would accept it as an issue and take a look.

We too have both a MX 75D and a Pacifica Hybrid and I've noticed the Pacifica is a bit quieter on the highway than the Tesla. I can't say there's an excessive amount of wind noise on the X but the road noise is something that definitely needs to be worked on. I spoke with someone at the SC and they said that the newer MXs have better soundproofing than the earlier ones. Since we have a 3 yr lease we'll be turning this one in in April and leasing a new 2020 MX so we'll see. I don't know if there is better soundproofing or what other improvements have been made since the 2017 models but I'm definitely going to enjoy the longer range since we take a couple of trips per year to CO and southern CA and if nothing else the faster charge time will make a big difference.
Yes pacifica is quieter. In MX i had to ask the person sitting in third row to repeat what she said, it never happened in Pacifica ( same person :) ) Having said that there is no comparison between these two, totally different segments. Positives in MX outweigh the negatives by a fair margin :)

Not trying to hijack this but 2 posters mentioned maxpyder mats.
Had them in my Model S and loved them. On their site they only mention availability for the front.
Any solutions of matching mats for back seat and cargo area?

The 3D Maxpider mats are available for all variants of the X - 5, 6 and 7 seater (including the 7 monopost, and the 7-fold-flat). They have them for the frunk and trunk as well. Other than the frunk, I have all 3D Maxpider in the vehicle - if you're looking for a deal, check eBay, or even the returns/warehouse deals from Amazon.

The 3D Maxpider mats are available for all variants of the X - 5, 6 and 7 seater (including the 7 monopost, and the 7-fold-flat). They have them for the frunk and trunk as well. Other than the frunk, I have all 3D Maxpider in the vehicle - if you're looking for a deal, check eBay, or even the returns/warehouse deals from Amazon.
Yeah there's a few seller's that offer some good deals too.

I installed a set of 3D MAXpider floor mats, which are excellent BTW, and left the original mats in place underneath them. I think it cut the road noise down a little but that might just be my imagination.
I finally tried the 3D Maxpider mats and it definitely cuts down the road noise. Not much but enough to feel the difference. Thank you for the suggestion :) And you are right, these mats are great !!