TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New owner: need to borrow J1772 charger

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by axroh, Aug 4, 2011.

1. axroh

axroh New Member

Hi!

I'm a proud new owner of a 2008 roadster. I have to pick it up from San Diego and drive it back to the bay area (likely upcoming sunday/monday) and was wondering if someone in the bay area (preferably close to Palo Alto) can loan me their charger for a couple days.

TIA!

2. DRM

DRM Roadster #619

I've got a spare 110v charger you can borrow, but I'm in San Diego (Del Mar). PM me if you're interested.

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Is it electric blue by any chance?

4. S-2000 Roadster

Did the 2008 come with the SMC, or was it HPC only?

5. axroh

axroh New Member

yes :)

6. scott451

scott451 KWH-PWR#1349Sprt,S Sig#96

MC240 Modded to 40A

7. axroh

axroh New Member

^bump

Anyone with a J1772 in the bay area? I just need to borrow it for 2 days really, flying on Sunday to San Diego to pick up my car and likely driving back Monday. Should be able to return it on Tuesday.

thanks

8. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

Aww Scott, I thought you would have kept your old car to disassemble and reverse engineer :smile:

9. axroh

axroh New Member

I'm willing to put down a $750 (refundable) deposit via paypal if someone can get me a charger ...

10. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I'd loan you mine, but I'm in the Sacramento area. Good luck ...

Tip: Make sure they have fully charged your car in Range mode before you pick up, so you have maximum mileage available at the start of your trip. Your customer advocate should also be able to help you plot out your trip.

11. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I'll pm you with contact information for the Northern CA users group on yahoo - that will give you a larger group to ask.

12. i can lend you mine, never use it anyway

13. GSP

GSP Member

Have you considered recharging at campgrounds using for your trip? If you do, make sure they have "50 amp" service, and you have a compatible plug for your mobile charger.

GSP

14. S-2000 Roadster

Forgive me for forgetting the thread title, but the first time I read your response I thought you were saying that you would lend out your Roadster because you never use it! Whew, that was a shock until I read it a second time in context...

15. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I was not able to determine why you couldn't buy one or borrow in San Diego or anywhere along the drive (you can easily make it to the Newport Store) and ship it back to the owner...

Happy for Axroh but super dissapointed that Scott does not already have it in a thousand pieces on his workbench.

16. scott451

scott451 KWH-PWR#1349Sprt,S Sig#96

#16 scott451, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
    It was easier for Amit to borrow one from someone in his area and bring it when he flies down. The 70A J1772 is only useful on the 101 robobanks so I never bought one. Everywhere else, my J1772->NEMA 14-50 30A adapter works great.

Yeah, me too. Amit is my best friend (recently relocated to SF), so I'll still have some access to the car :smile:

I thought about keeping it, but I just don't have the garage space for both cars (nix the PMs to store it in <your_name> garage). I would also need to get some of those "tesla warranty void" stickers so I could open the PEM, which is unlikely :frown: The car still has 16K miles and 22 months left on the original 50K/48 month warranty.