Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner: need to borrow J1772 charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

axroh

Aug 4, 2011
Hi!

I'm a proud new owner of a 2008 roadster. I have to pick it up from San Diego and drive it back to the bay area (likely upcoming sunday/monday) and was wondering if someone in the bay area (preferably close to Palo Alto) can loan me their charger for a couple days.

TIA!

^bump

Anyone with a J1772 in the bay area? I just need to borrow it for 2 days really, flying on Sunday to San Diego to pick up my car and likely driving back Monday. Should be able to return it on Tuesday.

thanks

^bump

Anyone with a J1772 in the bay area? I just need to borrow it for 2 days really, flying on Sunday to San Diego to pick up my car and likely driving back Monday. Should be able to return it on Tuesday.

thanks

I'm willing to put down a $750 (refundable) deposit via paypal if someone can get me a charger ...

I'd loan you mine, but I'm in the Sacramento area. Good luck ...

Tip: Make sure they have fully charged your car in Range mode before you pick up, so you have maximum mileage available at the start of your trip. Your customer advocate should also be able to help you plot out your trip.

Have you considered recharging at campgrounds using for your trip? If you do, make sure they have "50 amp" service, and you have a compatible plug for your mobile charger.

GSP

I was not able to determine why you couldn't buy one or borrow in San Diego or anywhere along the drive (you can easily make it to the Newport Store) and ship it back to the owner...

Happy for Axroh but super dissapointed that Scott does not already have it in a thousand pieces on his workbench.

I was not able to determine why you couldn't buy one or borrow in San Diego or anywhere along the drive (you can easily make it to the Newport Store) and ship it back to the owner...
It was easier for Amit to borrow one from someone in his area and bring it when he flies down. The 70A J1772 is only useful on the 101 robobanks so I never bought one. Everywhere else, my J1772->NEMA 14-50 30A adapter works great.

Happy for Axroh but super dissapointed that Scott does not already have it in a thousand pieces on his workbench.
Yeah, me too. Amit is my best friend (recently relocated to SF), so I'll still have some access to the car :smile:

I thought about keeping it, but I just don't have the garage space for both cars (nix the PMs to store it in <your_name> garage). I would also need to get some of those "tesla warranty void" stickers so I could open the PEM, which is unlikely :frown: The car still has 16K miles and 22 months left on the original 50K/48 month warranty.

Last edited: