Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner, not receiving firmware updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All -

Since I took delivery of my 70D, it seems like there have been several firmware updates released and a map update.

My car was delivered with and is still on 2.10.56

Since then, 2.10.71, 2.11.54, and 2.12.22 appear to have been released. I know that none of these updates contain much of anything significant.

My question is --- is this normal? Is there anything I should check?

Thanks everyone!
-Matt

There have also been some software updates that only got loaded on cars at service centers, not OTA. Those might be to provide fixes for specific problems or to test out versions of software before rolling them out to the whole fleet.

As was pointed out up-thread, the firmware tracker will give you an indication of what versions have been rolled out to large numbers of cars.

There have also been some software updates that only got loaded on cars at service centers, not OTA.

Regarding service center updates, I was told by my local service center that they really prefer folks not come in just to update the firmware. Rather have it done when other maintenance items are being performed.

In the mean time, as was noted above, some think it helps to keep the car hooked to wifi overnight.

Last edited:
There have also been some software updates that only got loaded on cars at service centers, not OTA. Those might be to provide fixes for specific problems or to test out versions of software before rolling them out to the whole fleet.

Regarding service center updates, I was told by my local service center that they really prefer folks not come in just to update the firmware. Rather have it done when other maintenance items are being performed.

For the record, I didn't mean to imply that anybody should go to the service center just to get new firmware. That idea had actually never occurred to me!

My point was only that some versions of software have only been observed to be loaded from service centers, and hence there were only a relatively small number of cars that got those updates. It's therefore quite normal for any given car to have only gone through a subset of the updates seen on the firmware tracker.

The seemingly random (to owners) software update process can be very frustrating.

Since getting my P85 three years ago, I haven't seen any improvement in the process. I've had only one map update in that time, and still haven't seen the latest map update (the nav software thinks it takes 5 minutes to drive the first few feet on the block near my house).

And, when you do get the opportunity to update - you won't get any documentation on the changes until after the software is installed. And once that's done, there's no going back.

Going to a service center has been the only reliable way to get new updates when they come out - but the service centers really shouldn't be spending their time on cars coming in just for software updates.

Tesla could do so much more to make this process more customer friendly...

Going to a service center has been the only reliable way to get new updates when they come out - but the service centers really shouldn't be spending their time on cars coming in just for software updates.

Tesla could do so much more to make this process more customer friendly...

Agree with both points.

My idea - have software updates made available at Service Centers installable by the customer.

When a customer enters a parking space at the SC, the car will automatically connect to its wifi. If there is an update available, the customer will be informed and asked if they want it pushed to them. They'd have to acknowledge and accept the conditions (i.e. wait for it complete).

It should only be available during normal service hours so the customer can enter the facility to buy merchandise, get coffee, etc. It should not be available if there is not sufficient time for the update to complete.

I agree that the process is frustrating. Don't see why it can't be like iOS updates. The update shows available for everyone, gives you a change log, and allows you to update when it's convenient. I haven't noticed that wifi makes any difference. My car is always on wifi at my home and they still download seemingly completely randomly. If an update isn't needed on certain vehicles, then putting out release notes would solve the problem of people wondering why they haven't been updated.

In case some people weren't aware: By time you get the notification dialog in your car, the new firmware has already been downloaded to it (but not installed yet). From that point, you can actually apply the software update at your leisure, with or without 3G/WiFi network connectivity.

I agree that it'd be best to see the release notes before installing an update (and to have slightly more detailed release notes). The next best thing, in absence of that, is to stay informed by reading the relevant threads on TMC and seeing what other owners have experienced (including their reading of the release notes from their update), and based on that decide if and when to pull the trigger.